General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 03-20-2009, 07:18 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 221/ticker!/145

Height: 5'4

Default Vegetable Garden Ideas

So I have my fiance convinced to help me plant a vegetable garden! I'm an amature gardener so I need some hearty plants that will grow in Louisiana, and that are kind of kill-proof or that aren't super hard to grow.

Any Ideas would be helpful!

Right now, I have tomatoes, bell peppers, jalepenos and zuchinni on my list.
blissclaire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 08:45 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 218/175/155

Height: 5'6"

Definitely go for the squash, just don't go over board! A few zucchini plants will have you eating lots of zucchini and it can be hard to give away at the height of the season.

Greens are really easy to grow and could probably be planted now. Arugula, spinach, lettuce, and other greens (my fave is mizuna--a Japanese mustard green) like cooler temps, so they are great spring and fall crops.

Fresh herbs are super easy too. I already have mint, lemon thyme, and rosemary growing in pots. You can do herbs in the ground too, just don't put mint in the ground, it spreads like a weed.

If you like it, okra should grow well in your area. I have never tried it though, so I'm not sure how easy it is.

Tomatoes can be temperamental, so you might want to check out a gardening book at the library. They are so worth the effort! Nothing tastes like a garden ripe tomato still warm from the sun (I'm drooling!)

Green beans are also super easy to grow. The just need some thing to grow up. I like to make a "teepee" using bamboo stakes (the longer the better--at least 6 feet long.) You stick them in the ground and then tie them together at the top. Then you plant one or two bean plants (or seeds) at the base of each stake. At first you need to "train" them by wrapping them up the stake, but once they get started they'll do the rest. I love to eat fresh green beans raw straight off the vine. Yum!

I'm starting several seeds right now. I have 4 kinds of tomatoes, two kinds of basil (Italian and Thai), cilantro, jalapenos, parsley, and sweet Italian peppers. I'm going to start some NM chile peppers too, I just need to find the seeds. Greens and squash I'll start outside soon. I love spring, I can't wait until I have something I can actually eat!
zenor77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 10:07 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 156/150/130

Height: 5'4

I've started my garden inside because I grow from seeds. If you choose to grow from seeds, on the seed packets there are instructions. It will tell you which zone you're in and when to plant and harvest in that zone. If you want to start from plants, the greenhouse or store you buy from should be able to offer some advice. Good luck! I personally love playing in the dirt!

Jenny
winning the war is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2009, 06:46 PM   #4  
Starting to Get It!

S/C/G: 206/see ticker/120

Height: 5'4"

I am interested in this, I have always wanted to grow a garden!
AmberE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2009, 11:28 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 158/142/at or below 135 lbs.

Height: 5'5"

Cukes!
walking2lose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 12:15 AM   #6  
Renaissance Woman

S/C/G: 363/306/185

Height: 5'10.5"

You adventurous rebel, there in Louisiana, to break out of the Holy Trinity of veggies! I used to live in Lafayette, but I'm originally from California, so when I would pick out artichokes at the Winn-Dixie, the checkout staff never knew what it was!

The following would grow well "way up north" in Natchitoches over the summer: eggplant, okra, sweet potatoes and melons. Melons need a little bit of room to spread. Try to ask someone at the local garden shops how to prepare your soil properly for the region in which you live. It's not hard and so fun to enjoy the results!

Georgia
geoblewis is offline   Reply With Quote