Weight Loss Surgery If you've had it, or are considering it, share your discussions here

Old 03-19-2009, 03:03 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 253/253/209

Height: 6 Feet

Default Gastric Bypass and Smoking

Hi, will it hurt me if i smoke a cig? I quit the day i went for surgery... but want to have one today... I am almost 1 month out... will it hurt me if i have just 1 per day? any adv is helpful.

and any other people who still smoke after wls?
xbubloox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 03:40 PM   #2  
KO
In Pursuit of Divatude!

I'm not a smoker but my docs policy was no smoking
KO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 03:59 PM   #3  
WW on-line since 1/1/2009

S/C/G: see ticker

Height: 5'5"

You've quit for a month...why start up again now? Do something else...go for a walk, chew some gum, something. Smoking is never a good idea, surgery or no surgery.
Jennelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 09:00 PM   #4  
not bad for a 47 yr Nana!

It seems easy to have just one but it will lead to being enslaved to the next one and the next one...hooked once again and harder to quit later! The money that you are saving now can be, in itself, a good reason to quit! Take that money and do things for yourself like get a massage!

It seems harmless honey but it's so bad for you...in the short run, smoking lowers your resistance to infections of all kinds, in the long run, there's cancer...any healing your doing from surgery will be impeaded...with each hit, less air can get into your body, never a good idea!

Resist and it will get easier! I am 11 years smoke free this month! You can do it honey!

Angela

Last edited by missangelaks; 03-20-2009 at 01:11 AM.
missangelaks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 09:49 PM   #5  
nirvikalpa samadhi

S/C/G: 369.5/ticker/169.5

Height: 5'8"

Don't do it! Don't do it! Don't do it! There's no such thing as just one. If you smoke one, you will be a smoker again.

I quit in October. In 2003, I quit for 5 months then something happened and I decided to just have "one." Then "just one a day." 2-3 days later I was smoking again. Please, find something else to do. When I quit this time I chewed on cinnamon sticks (grocery store, in the spice aisle). They feel like a cigarette; right size, right shape. It really helped.

All the best to you ~ you can do it!! I smoked for 27 years then quit in October and I will never, ever smoke again. I'm done.
DCHound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 04:17 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 345/282/200

Height: 5'8"

I am another EX-smoker here (15 years this past Jan1st)

I wanna chime in too and say don't do it please because it won't just be one a day. It will go to two a day then three then four.

You had major surgery don't do it because you are healing inside still and will be for a long time and you don't need all those toxins (in the thousands!) circulating around inside of you while you are trying to heal.

Also as an exsmoker I also know that there is a very good chance that you already smoked that cigarette you are craving when you posted and if you did then you need to stop right now because the longer you smoke the harder it will be to stop again.

I didn't stop craving smoke for months but I fought the feeling and BOY am I glad I did! It was one of the smartest things I ever did in my life. After about 6 months of not smoking my lungs felt so good and my taste came back.

I will never ever EVER smoke again!

You don't need that cigarette you are just craving the nicotine. Resist it! You will be SO glad you did further down the line!

Besides MY GOD $5.00 a pack that is outrageous! When I quit it was a dollar a pack and I thought THAT was too high! LOL!

Fight it! You don't need that smoke!!!

Last edited by flatiron; 03-20-2009 at 04:18 AM.
flatiron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 12:37 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 253/253/209

Height: 6 Feet

Thanks girls - I had 2 ciggies yesterday, and i really hated it... it felt gross... i change my mind,,,, you are right,..... why start again when i am just fine without them.... i do not want to smoke.... it sucked.... but hubby smokes.... is it ok for him to smoke in front of me? or shall i throw him out each time he lights up? lol
xbubloox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 02:42 PM   #8  
not bad for a 47 yr Nana!

I would ask him nicely to avoid you when he's smoking...he has the right to smoke and you have the right to not be around it...hum a good compromise? Maybe you could take turns going outside. if he' not willing to smoke outside then you can go out when he lights up and take a walk...think of all the exercise you'll get! smokers smoke alot! LOL

Anyway, GOOD FOR YOU!!! Not worth it, honey! Really, take the money you would have spent on cigs and put it in a jar or box or something and go and do nice things for yourself!

Angela

Last edited by missangelaks; 03-20-2009 at 02:44 PM.
missangelaks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2009, 11:43 AM   #9  
Old Cackler

blu - LOTS of folks i know don't let their 'significant others' smoke in the house or around them. especially if there are kids around. and everyone still stays together!!!!!

i'm proud of you, darlin!
jiffypop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2009, 04:38 PM   #10  
Moderator & Happy Chick

Height: 5' 10"

Yep, ask him to go outside, last thing you need is 2nd hand smoke. I am so happy you decided to quit

My DH used to smoke 2 packs a day.... he would go in his computer room and smoke there (shut the door and turned on the fan) but it still stunk. He quit when my daughter was born 7 years ago No more yellow walls for me.

Plus we save a ton of money

Leenie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2009, 04:56 PM   #11  

S/C/G: HW/232 SW 215/ CW 133/GW 120's

Height: 5.7 and 1/2

Wow! You are doing so well..you are getting your nutrition in order as well as tossing the smoking habit. I am just so happy for you. You are gaining complete control over your life and I know you must be loving it. I agree--don't do it!
Thighs Be Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 08:56 AM   #12  

S/C/G: SW308/CW159/GW170

Height: 5'7"

Default Pushing the Limits after WLS

Here is my take on smoking and WLS and other things that push the limits. DON'T! Stick with your plan: Don't overeat, don't eat things that are forbidden on your plan, don't eat sugary stuff, take small bites, drink your water, don't do soda and don't smoke, etc. If you push the limits at the beginning of your program you will be setting yourself up for failure down the road. This is the time to setup new habits that will carry you through life after WLS to be healthy and fit. When people push the limits, we are more likely to hear from them down the road about how the WLS failed them and they have regained their weight.

You are a new healing surgery patient. You need oxygen to the healing surgery area and cigs will certainly impair your bodies ability to do that. Plus, who hasn't heard of all the problems with heart disease and lung diseases associated with smoking. Smoking is addictive, just like food, sex, gambling, and drugs......so why go there. Most of us here are addicted to food and when we are no longer able to do the food, some of us become cross-addicted to other things....I can see smoking as being one of those cross-addictions.

I fight myself everyday to try and NOT push the limits that my doctor and NUT set up for me. Most days I win, but my goal is to live a healthy useful life for the next few years that I have left....so think about that everytime you are tempted to do something that will mess up your WLS journey.
nanj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 10:09 AM   #13  
Annie - Indiana

S/C/G: 303/143/165

Height: 5'9"

If you smoked prior to surgery, my doc made you quit 2 months prior in order to have the surgery. I can't imagine why you would want to get healthy weight wise and kill yourself with another.
annie175 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 10:11 AM   #14  

Please don't start smoking again. All those diseases they tell you come from smoking are true.
QuilterInVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 05:21 PM   #15  
Closed

S/C/G: 244/165/137

Height: 5' 7"

Here's my two cents worth!
Smoking, either directly or second-hand affects oxygen circulation in your body. Poor oxygen circulation affects your healing. Poor healing leads to surgical failures. This is why most MDs want patients to STOP SMOKING prior to surgery, and many make not smoking a condition of surgery. If they do the surgery, and a patient smokes, the surgery will likely fail.
So the question for you is this:
What do you want more -- proper healing and a successful surgery, or a cigarette and a failed surgery?
Kira
kiramira is offline   Reply With Quote