Old 03-15-2009, 01:12 AM   #1  

Default When,oh, when?

I have been watching calories, shaving about 500 per day. I've also began running in the last few weeks (I'm up to about 18 miles per week). The first week, I dropped aout 2 pounds (water weight?), and the second another three. The third week-platau. Maybe half a pound. I know that this is a healthy rate of dropping weight, but it seems like I should be seeing changes more consistantly-like 2 per week, steady. I know I've put on some muscle that weighs more than the fat I'm burning, but it is a little frustrating. Will I get back to a steady rate of loss?
BacktoMe22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009, 01:33 AM   #2  
Jig, Don't Jog

S/C/G: 185.2/154.6/135

Height: 5'5"

It'll never be a consistent loss, unfortunately. What your body is doing sounds completely normal! It's all about averages: So one week you may lose 5 lbs, the next 2 you may lose nothing, or for a couple of weeks, you may just lose 2lbs per. -- If you keep a chart (or something similar) and track your losses, then pull an average (after, say, 8 weeks) you'll see if you're doing a 2lb loss average or not
Mostly--it takes time (something none of us want to deal with when losing weight!) But-- it took time to put it on, and it takes time to take it off...
Also-- think about the gains:
They're not typically gained in 1-2lb increments, either-- you might gain (example) 16lbs in 8 weeks-- but 5 of those pounds may have been in 3 measly days...

I keep a log with a graph-- Those are so fun to watch the over-all downward trend!
weegreenlassie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009, 12:06 PM   #3  

Great advice-thank you. And I'm even more impressed that you took the time to reply. Judging from your avatar, this is probably a very busy time of year for you!!!!!!!(Very cool, by the way).

Thanks!
Old 03-15-2009, 05:01 PM   #4  
Jig, Don't Jog

S/C/G: 185.2/154.6/135

Height: 5'5"

Oh, my pleasure!
This is a VERY busy time of year for me, but I've gotta stay grounded by keeping up with 3Fc

Good luck on your journey!
weegreenlassie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009, 05:18 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 180/ticker/129 or so =)

Height: 5'6.5"

Fluctuation will happen and doesn't usually reflect fat loss/gain. It's much more likely to be water weight (and/or food that isn't completely digested). I routinely gain 3 lbs of water weight the day after I eat a big bowl of salty pho (a vietnamese beef soup -- hold the noodles). It goes back down after a day or two. TOM causes several pounds of variation for me. Exercising also causes water gain.

Like Kat said, it's all about seeing the big picture and watching your average weight go gown. Good luck!

Last edited by yoyoma; 03-15-2009 at 05:19 PM.
yoyoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 04:47 AM   #6  

Hello BacktoMe22!
I think you are now in a good stage. Keep on doing this, this is good for your health.
sindy9001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 09:12 AM   #7  
My New Hamshire Red Peep

S/C/G: 173/172/130

Height: 5'2

WTG on your losses. I know its frustrating not to see a really steady loss though.
Losing Amber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 09:45 AM   #8  
Work in progress

S/C/G: 165/ticker/120???

Height: 5'2"

Losing is almost never consistent. I second what weegreen said about keeping a graph... it really helps you to see the big picture much clearer. The body is a fickle machine... just stay on plan and keep exercising, and your body will take care of the rest
LittleMoonRabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 10:01 PM   #9  

Thanks! This is a great site-not only for wonderful advice, but the awsome support.

You rock!