South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Old 03-18-2009, 04:02 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 48/45/20

Height: 5'2"

Question Transition to P2...

Right now, in P1, I eat as scheduled (breakfast, snack, etc) even when I'm not feeling particularly hungry. Do you continue to do this in P2, even though you're adding new things in, or do you try to focus more on actual hunger than eating b/c it's time? I've been reading the info here about starting P2, so I'm feeling somewhat prepared, but this is something I'm not sure about, and am worried that if I continue to eat as I have been, but start adding things to it, I won't continue to lose. Just wondering how you all handle this?

Thanks!
Jenny
jennygirl531 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 04:09 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 338 / 302 / 238

Height: 5'9"

For some reason after switching to Phase 2, I've been more hungry than in Phase 1. The only thing I've really switched is that I'm eating a cup of Fiber One with a half cup of skim milk for breakfast instead of all those eggs. Also I've replaced my cheese stick snack with an apple.

To be honest, I'm finding it hard to tell if I'm actually hungry or if I just have bad gas from all the new veggies I've introduced to my diet.

Oh yeah I also joined a gym, so maybe my body is demanding more food because of the exercise.
Kriterian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 04:09 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 261/252/145

Height: 5'4"

I did continue to eat the planned snacks and did continue to lose. I have a tendency to get preoccupied with things and not bother to eat until I'm starving, at which point I am willing to grab anything and shove it in my mouth. So the snacks really help by keeping me from getting to that point.
Now that I've been on the plan for a long time, though, I don't eat the morning snack unless I'm hungry - because I have breakfast between 8 - 9 and lunch at 12, and sometimes I just don't need a snack in there. I ALWAYS have my afternoon snack or I am too hungry by dinner (it's a long time between 12 and 6 or 6:30). And the evening snack or dessert, I usually have, but will skip on occasion if I've had a very filling dinner.
My recommendation to you would be to continue with the planned snacks, at least for a while.
Schmoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 05:59 PM   #4  
Midwesterner

S/C/G: 152/116/120

Height: 5' 3"

I'm with Schmoodle. Keep the snacks for now. If you add in Phase II stuff one at a time, it isn't going to make that much difference, IMO. I skip the morning snack too most mornings, or I eat my lunchtime yogurt a little early if I start to get too hungry. On Phase II I gave up my nightly Ricotta Creme, but not right away. I still have an evening snack, but not such a rich one.
murphmitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 09:06 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 154/148.6/119

Height: 5'6"

I count calories.

When the calorie bank is empty, I don't eat.

Counting tells me how much to eat; SB tells me what to eat.

It works for me.
AnAbsoluteDiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 01:01 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 48/45/20

Height: 5'2"

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnAbsoluteDiva View Post
I count calories.

When the calorie bank is empty, I don't eat.

Counting tells me how much to eat; SB tells me what to eat.

It works for me.

How many calories are you eating? It's been a long time since I counted cals...I don't exactly remember what the goal was.
jennygirl531 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 07:58 AM   #7  
no longer single

S/C/G: 225/220.5/150

Height: 5'5"

my calories are always low if i happen to check so i don't worry as long as i keep it above 1200. i think all the veggies fills me up with alot less calories
me4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 08:27 AM   #8  
I can do this!

Height: 5'11"

One of the things I love about SBD is that you don't need to count calories. I didn't count them at all in my first 1 1/2 years on the plan, and I lost 128+ pounds. I find that the restrictions on high-caloric items (like nuts) and sweet treats, plus my personal restrictions on items that I tended to overeat (like starches) helped keep me on track enough that there was no need to count calories.

Great new avatar, Jenny! You look lovely. In the book, Dr. A explains that it's much easier to stave off a drop in your blood sugar (and the corresponding ravenousness) than it is to deal with it after it happens. That's one of the reasons he suggests eating every three hours. I've had several occasions where I got to experience the truth of his words. It's a total mess when you let your blood sugar drop too low. So I highly recommend sticking with your plan and slowwwwwwly adding things to it. In most cases, you aren't really "adding" much. For instance, while you may add a WW bun to your lunch, you may eat less vegetables in response.

Check out the What's your P2 Combo? thread for tons of great information and ideas about how to transition into P2.
beachgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 09:10 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 151.5/149.9/135

Height: 5'4"

I have to chime in... I skipped snacks yesterday, because I wasn't feeling hungry and thought it might be a good idea... and then I totally binged post-dinner. I stayed OP (a serving of peanuts, some extra veggies, etc.), but I am totally out of the habit of after-dinner grazing, so I assume there was a direct correlation between snack-skipping and nighttime eating.

Just my two cents. I also have no interest in counting calories whatsoever, and I don't think that's hindered me so far.
swandive81 is offline   Reply With Quote