Depression and Weight Issues Have you been diagnosed with depression, are possibly on depression medication, and find it affects your weight loss efforts? Post here for support!

Old 03-18-2009, 09:08 AM   #1  
Addicted to potato salad!

Default new medication

Anyone have any experience with citalopram (celexa) or seroquel?
techwife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 09:29 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 165/147/128

Height: 5'3"

Hi Tech. My friend uses celexa. I think she was tired at first but has been very good on it for a couple of years now.
srmb60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 09:40 AM   #3  

Thanks, Susan. My daughter has been suffering with agoraphobia and panic attacks since last summer, but they've recently become really severe. She was out of school for the entire month of February. We have her going to a new psychiatrist (or whatever...the doctor that can prescribe meds) and he had her on prozac (10mg) for about 4 weeks and when she didn't respond, he upped it to 20 mg and is still unresponsive to it, so he switched her prescription to the celexa (10mg) and her first dose was last night. She woke up looking like she was out at a frat party all night!! But at least she got a good, rock solid sleep for a change. The prozac has been giving her nightmares and she wasn't able to sleep well.

The seroquel is for the panic attacks. I read up on it and it says it's meant for bipolar disorder, but there must be something in it that the doctor thinks she will benefit from.

Okay....any more opinions will be greatly appreciated!!
Old 03-18-2009, 09:49 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 165/147/128

I think as more and more become available, we're finding ways to use a couple together for a variety of symptoms. It is seriously worth the trouble to keep trying.

Let's see what the others say.
srmb60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 10:00 AM   #5  
this time it's for real

S/C/G: 201/159/135

Height: 5'2"

I took seroquel for a couple of months for insomnia. It is a bipolar drug... as far as I understand, it's meant to bring someone "down" from a manic phase. All I can tell you is that stuff knocked me out. I had to time it really carefully before bedtime because once I took it, I knew exactly 20 minutes later I would be asleep. Then, it's hard if you have nights where you don't have a full 8-9 (or 12) hours to devote to sleep because you can wake up absolutely exhausted if the drug is still in your system.

It comes in many, many doses and the low doses might be okay for your daughter.
macky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 12:14 PM   #6  

Height: 5'6"

Hi there,

I just got put on 10mg of celexa. I'm on wellbutrin as well but my anxiety was coming back big time. I take mine in the morning and so far have been doing really well. Tired at first and of course that horrible dry mouth thing, but so far so good but its only been 10 days.

Hope it works for your daughter.

Take care,
K
buddly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 01:47 PM   #7  
Working at it

S/C/G: 180/tracker/115

I was taking both for a while. I think that the seroquel made more of a difference than the anti-depressant, but I can't say that for sure.
ktgk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 08:02 AM   #8  

Does this combo make you feel like you spent the night at a frat party? This is my daughter's second day and yesterday she was a total zombie.
Old 03-19-2009, 11:05 AM   #9  

I'm on 60 mg and have been for over 2 years. The tiredness didn't last long for me. It has helped me a lot.
QuilterInVA is offline   Reply With Quote