Weight Loss Surgery If you've had it, or are considering it, share your discussions here

Old 03-17-2009, 10:02 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 253/253/209

Height: 6 Feet

Default Gastric Bypass Questions From a Dummy

Hello Girls,

I have a few questions - I am 22 Days Post Op, and now I can finish 3/4 of food. Is this okay? Another example... You know those microwavable hormel chili, with the plastic lid with holes? I can eat one of those now with no problem at all. Is this ok? please tell me......I do not want to over eat and stretch my pouch.... How much do you think i should be eating right now?
xbubloox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 11:30 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 154/148.6/119

Height: 5'6"

Have you thought about eating something that is not processed and frozen? You can't imagine how much sodium and preservatives and other forms of crap are in that food.

Make your own chili.

I don't know anything about this sort of surgery so I can't help you with that, but I can tell you with a reasonable degree of certainty that convenience foods are not going to get you to where you want to go.
AnAbsoluteDiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 11:36 PM   #3  

Any more advise from anyone please Pref people who have had gastric bypass.. Please tell me how much you were able to eat at 1 month post op... I mean the amount....Thanks

Last edited by xbubloox; 03-17-2009 at 11:40 PM.
Old 03-18-2009, 01:07 AM   #4  
not bad for a 47 yr Nana!

one of those chilis is about a cup...that's a bit much at one sitting for just after surgery...I would call your surgeon's support staff and tell them what your diets amounts and content and see what they would suggest.

You can, if you take your time, eat enough to stop the benefits of surgery. Call and find out what you should be eating...they gave me very specific diet and when to eat what, that sort of thing.

Good luck honey! Let us know how things go.

Angela

Last edited by missangelaks; 03-18-2009 at 01:07 AM.
missangelaks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 10:50 AM   #5  

S/C/G: SW308/CW159/GW170

Height: 5'7"

What does your WLS manual say that you should be eating at this time? Not all ways to approach WLS are the same. I was on a week of clear liquids, three weeks of full liquids, a week of pureed, a week of soft and than a time to explore. So, where are you at with your plan as it was given to you? I'm 17 mos out and I can only eat about 1/2c. to 3/4 c. at a time but I eat about 5 or six times a day. I doubt very much if you have full sensation in your belly to tell rather you are full or not, so how about setting a limit for yourself of about 1/4 to 1/2 c. of food at a time. Tiny bites, two minute in between bites, chewed to baby food consistency. I just read a book called "Gastric Bypass Surgery: Everything you need to know to make an informed decision" by Mary P. Mc Gowan, M.D. with Jo McGowan Chopra. They state that as a general rule it should take you about 10 minutes to eat an ounce of food. It also gives your brain time to realize that you have had enough. BUT.....Go with what your nutritionist and your written material tells you.
nanj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 12:28 PM   #6  
Old Cackler

i agree - 1 cup of food sounds like a bit too much. it's been a LONG time since those days, but i think i was eating about 1/4 cup at a time.

when do you go back to your surgeon? it might help to review with him/her the program.
jiffypop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 12:47 PM   #7  
KO
In Pursuit of Divatude!

i'd stick to 1/4 to 1/2 but definitely check with your doc!
KO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 02:44 PM   #8  

So if I stay at 1/2 I will be fine?
Old 03-18-2009, 05:00 PM   #9  
Old Cackler

see how that goes, blu.

and may i make a request?????? it's the title of this thread - requests from a DUMMY???? darlin - sweetie - please don't call yourself a DUMMY, even as a joke. there's this concept that we believe what we say about ourselves - we ALL have to [had to? still struggle with?] change the way we talk to ourselves, and how we refer to ourselves. the more positive we can be, the better off we are

you're not a dummy. you might be struggling, or confused, or ya got questions, or whatever - but you're not stupid.
Old 03-18-2009, 11:37 PM   #10  
not bad for a 47 yr Nana!

I second that Jiffy!! We are not dumb for having questions! We are only under-educated if we DON'T ask them...therefore, you are a smart one! See, it all comes down to how we look at things! You're doing great honey!

Angela
missangelaks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 07:02 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 323/203/140

Height: 5'1

I'm so glad you posted this! I've been having the same issues.. worrying that I can eat too much and stuff. For me, it varies. A month or two ago, I ate those microwavable chilis too. I needed something easy to take with me that had a lot of protein. I could eat a whole one too, but sometimes I'd feel pretty full. I moved away from them because I figured now that I can eat more things I should move on to something a bit healthier.
It's been hard finding various foods to eat that are high in protein and not too much of a hassle. Recipes don't really work for me, and I feel like I'm always eating the same things day in and day out!
jonesk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 07:43 PM   #12  

Yeah, I hate recipes too! Don't have the time.... I am having 1 problem now though.... for the last 3 days... anything i even drink stays in my throat... i mean I can drink 4 oz. of protein shake, and even after 4 hrs... it is still right there in my asophogus and throat.... and the aching in my tummy... is it possible that there is something wrong with me...do i need to seek help?
Old 03-20-2009, 08:51 PM   #13  

xbubloox,
I have a band, not bypass, but the feeling you describe is how it feels when something is blocking your stoma. Don't mean to scare you, but call your doc!

Chickadee
Chickadee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 10:59 PM   #14  

UUUmmm , I think it may have been gas,,,, because i started burping alot, and passing.... and it just stopped... thank god.... anyone else ever get this problem.... i think because i have hormil chili b4 i was even 1 month post op gb...
Old 03-21-2009, 11:39 AM   #15  
Old Cackler

hmmmmm. part of it might be the chili, but also, please remember that you're still healing - those surgery wounds [inside too!!!!] are still quite fresh and sensitive.

the other thing is that chili is part liquid, part solid. and while that might make sense on some level, what also might be happening is that the 'liquid' part of the chili is pushing the 'solid part/ through your system faster than your doc might like it.

at your stage - oh so long ago - i was bravely entering the world of very thinly sliced deli turkey and deli roast beef - no liquid part. and chewing chewing chewing!!!!