Old 03-15-2009, 12:50 PM   #1  

Smile Flexetarians?

Hi-
I've been following a flexetarian diet for a couple of weeks now (I haven't had any meat at all, just seafood a coupe of times).
I can see me following this way of eating for life-any advice? Recipes?
BacktoMe22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009, 12:57 PM   #2  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

http://blog.fatfreevegan.com is my favorite place for recipes

For anyone who eats seafood, I recommend making the best choices possible which means looking at Seafood Watch.
http://www.montereybayaquarium.org/cr/seafoodwatch.aspx
When I still ate meat, I used to look at it to make smarter choices.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009, 02:37 PM   #3  

Ditto on what nelie said. I still occassionally eat meat (esp. during TOM when I'm craving protein like all get-out), but I gave up seafood a long time ago because commercial fishing practices are ruining our oceans. (But if I went out and caught a fish myself, I'd eat it.) I can never remember which fish are "safe" to eat; it was easier to decide to not eat any at all!
mags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009, 03:08 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 255/see tracker/180

Height: 5 ft 7 in

Quote:
Originally Posted by nelie;2655403For anyone who eats seafood, I recommend making the best choices possible which means looking at Seafood Watch.
[url
http://www.montereybayaquarium.org/cr/seafoodwatch.aspx[/url]

nelie, thank you for posting the above link, very informative.
jademarlene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009, 06:12 PM   #5  
Maintenance May 2011

S/C/G: 312/149/150

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by nelie View Post
For anyone who eats seafood, I recommend making the best choices possible which means looking at Seafood Watch.
http://www.montereybayaquarium.org/cr/seafoodwatch.aspx
Thanks for posting that. They have a little card-sized list you can print out and keep in your wallet. I first learned of that site from an insert included in the Happy Feet movie.

I don't consider myself to be vegetarian (flex, pesc, ovo...whatever) as I believe you are either a veghead or you're not. My diet is probably 80% veg though. I can't eat soy products (edamame is ok though) so I do get some of my protein from responsible sources: small, local dairy farms and eggs from chickens that run around doing chicken stuff. Some free-range chicken and free-range grass-fed bison. Sustainable seafood and fish. I think that is better for us and better for the planet than the mass produced products.

I don't know how to find these products for cheese though.

It seems as time goes on my diet becomes more and more veg. Part of that is that I do think that I feel better but another part is my disgust at the despicable animal practices and handling of those products. I truly admire those of you who are 100% veg.

Sorry for the long ramble/tangent.
mizski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 10:23 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 245/228/145 (low of 221.8 '09)

Height: 5'7"

I hate people who say things like I am about to say, but here I go -

Flexitarianism is not a real thing. It is meaningless. Why should you have a special title because some of your meals have no meat or you may even go several days without it?
FatGirlTale is offline   Reply With Quote