Closed Thread

Old 09-29-2002, 08:55 AM   #1  
Moderator - 30 Somethings

Default Week of September 29

Good Morining everyone!! I don't know why, but ever since we found out about the baby we are up early every weekend. Maybe it's mother nature getting us ready? Or that we are going to be fairly early the night before.

Hope ya'll are having a great weekend!!
Old 09-29-2002, 09:34 AM   #2  
LBH

S/C/G: 279.8/276.9/170

Height: 5'10"

Good Morning All!

Karen- Yup! I think it must be mother nature. I haven't set my alarm to get up in months!!

Well, garage saling was a success! It was a whole town and had I known that, I would've made sure I had a map, and mapped our route. Instead, we drove aimlessly around looking for signs! The towns around here seem to do it this way now. It's a cool idea I guess. Anyway, I got a set of matching lamps for $10, they wanted $15. They're small, like for your night table or desk. I guess about 12" or so. They're crystal and glass. And I got a fire engine lamp, full size, for the baby's room, and a matching child size coat rack with a fire engine on top, both for $20. They're really cute. I think I did good, all items are in perfect condition. We must've hit around 15-20 houses, but we didn't start until around 1:00, so most of the good stuff was gone. But that's OK, because I wasn't really on a mission to find something in particular. One lady told us that she put a sign up that said "early birds pay double!", to keep them away. I thought that was a great idea, because you know there's people that start at 7:00, when the sale doesn't start until 9:00.

Have a great day all!
Old 09-29-2002, 09:50 AM   #3  
Working on Weight loss!!!

Good Morning!!!
Garage Saling can be fun!!! U can find some treasures out there!!
I wanted to have a garage sale but DH is real picky about people visiting and "scoping" out his house and yard..We just put things out at the road early on the day before garbage day and let people pick it up....It is funny to watch people actually load desks, mattresses etc!!!!!

I dragged DH to BabiesRUs to register things..He was funny cuz he would get soo annoyed as I went forward, backward, turn the buggy around quick etc etc!!!!He said I was nesting!!!!Of course, the funny thing is, this is the first time he has been with a woman that it is her first child....We tested out carseats, strollers etc...He is a trip!!!I then confessed that I had ordered an armoir without consulting him on Friday...He liked it soo I did good!!!!I ordered a bookcase for the baby which will be in Tuesday, soo things are shaping up!!!!

DIet wise...I followed everything almost exactly yesterday, and had perfect sugars...I willl find out Tuesday if I have to be on an as needed insulin requireiment...I did have 4 sugars out of wack soo I will see...I am following the diet exactly except I really cant eat the whole 2200calories..I am consistantly hitting at 11 -12 carbs rather than 15-16....I am gonna work on it harder!!!

Have a great day all!!!!
RR
Old 09-30-2002, 02:01 AM   #4  
Hollywood Homebody

hi all,

well i finished moving out of the icky house this weekend. so now i'm officially living with my parents

my stuff is in storage until i can find a place. i have/had a line on a house that's available 10/9 but i haven't talked to the girl in a while. apparently the current tenant is being very pissy and won't let her show it until she's completely moved out. that seems ludicrous. but i will probably call her tomorrow just so i stay fresh in her mind.

tuesday i'm taking my car in to get fixed from the accident. they said they might need it 10 days!! and my insurance doesn't cover a rental car so i'll have to pay out of pocket and then i'll get reimbursed later after my insurance company settles with the girl who hit me's insurance company. what a mess.

anyway hopefully this will be the start of a great week. lord knows i can use it! hope you're all doing well
Old 09-30-2002, 05:32 AM   #5  

Hi Girls!

Another Monday coming up! I have just said farewell to my friend from France, but we will probably meet again in Switzerland or France in Jan when I go skiing with my dad and GF. I am already looking forward to it!. BF, who is still living with me, was in a bad state because of professional matters mainly, and I had to take my friend around Athens so we didn't see each other much. We had a lot of fun yesterday when we were all together and ordered pizza and when my friend read our hands and laid cards (always fun, even if you don't believe in it). My friend is supposed to get married and have another child someday, which made him feel very much better as he hasn't seen his other kids in 2 years (his then GF would not marry him so that she wouldn't lose $ in child support...). Went to a concert in the city square of one of Greece's favorite singers. It started to rain after 10 min, REALLY rain, so they had to call it off. people were holding their plastic deck chairs over their heads so as not to get wet. Funny! Went home and put a cd on instead...
I might also have found a new appartment, into which I might move in a month or two, as a friend of mine is currently living there. It's a ground floor appartment in a neighbourhood that is next to my current one, but only about 300yds from the sea(!) it's 55 m2 which means 1 small bedroom + living room, which is enough for me, but it is also in a very good state as my friend's HB is a builder and has done the place up very nicely. It's ground floor and has a little patio-garden like smt on the side where you can sit. It's also lots cheaper (about 220$ instead of the 310 I'm paying now), so hopefully I'll get it.
Well girls, I have definitely NOT been op this last week, as I was obliged to go out 4 dinner most days. My friend is about 6 ft 5 and 140 pounds, and he still eats a lot, so I had to show him where, and Greek food being what it is, I just went limp and crumbled...Still , went doing exercize of some sort 4 (beach yesterday) times so that's good at least. From now on, will post how much wine (hopefully none) and eat according to plan, so I fit into my smaller home by December! Also, will have to get rid of a lot of stuff (but not my yellow squeeky bath duckie which I am very fond of, makes me remember Ernie in Sesamy street when I was little, we still keep all the toys at home in the NL, you never know!), this is also good because I never get to it! Do you have something childish like this that you definitely do not want to get rid of?????

RR, can't believe it's only 9 weeks left!

Lauren, I love garage sales! I got most of my stuff from house sales (even some antiques), and Greeks like to buy their stuff new, so I get some really good bargains here, too. I'm also thinking of selling all my old clothes in a car boot sale (except for the dresses and weird stuff I collect, like 70 vintage shoes or accessories), to raise some $, which O, Boy, I sure could use right now.

Hope you aren't sore any more Tech, must have been wonderful xcercize though!

LA, hope you get the house

a wonderful week to us all,

Vassiliki
Old 09-30-2002, 11:07 AM   #6  

hi all. Today is my birthday.

Had a great weekend at my sister's. the party was great. They loved the party favors. And the song w/our costumes was a big hit. The party really started going after that.

But I am tired tired today! And I've got workers here who are keeping me too busy!

Tech ~ hope the hayride was fun - sure sounds fun.

Lauren - those emails you get each week sound cool. I'm sure you learn a lot.

Karen - well, yes, I'd sure want that room ready before too! Why doesn't she think you should do that??

LA - good luck househunting!

Greek - that sounds like a nice apartment - hope you get it!

gotta run!

Rabbit
Old 09-30-2002, 12:21 PM   #7  
LBH

Hi All,

Rabbit- Hope you have a great day!! Glad the party was a hit!

GG- That's the great thing about garage saling in a hoity toity area, everyone is getting rid of pretty good stuff!

LA- Glad you're out of the icky place, hope you get that other place! Hope you get the car fixed in a timely manner too!

RR- 2200 cals seems like a lot for someone your size! Are they sure you should have that many?! Glad your sugars have been good though.

We start our childbirth classes tonight!! I'm very excited about it. We're taking Bradley classes, which are more geared towards natural childbirth, it's also called Husband Coached childbirth. It's at some lady's house about a 1/2 hr. from us, and costs a whopping $275!! I just about passed out when I heard that, because it's a good 100+ more than the hospital classes, which are modeled after Lamaze. But it also includes breastfeeding and basic baby care, which would be 2 extra classes at the hospital. I really hope we like it, since we're paying soo much! She said she'll be giving us homework out of the 2 books we have to buy also. I already bought the one book - it's called Natural Childbirth the Bradley Way, by Susan Mc Cutcheon. The other one is called The Thinking Woman's Guide to a Better Birth, but Henci Goer. I have not bought this one, but I don't like the reviews I'm reading. They say it's very anti-OB, anti-epi, etc. and that's not me, I just desire to educate myself and do my personal best to deliver naturally. I really hope the instructor is not like that, because I think I will call the CNM and ask her for a different name then. Anyway, it's every Monday night from now thru November 9th.

Have a great day all!
Old 09-30-2002, 01:46 PM   #8  
Donna

Happy Monday All,

Well the muscles have just about returned to normal, which is good since I'm back on the hand cart on Wed . I made K walk my dog and I took his on Saturday, because mine pulls harder, K did nothing but complain, it was pretty funny. The hay ride was OK it was more of a Hay fight than ride, but I haven't laughed that hard in a while so it was fun. They also had a meal and campfire so we had a good time.

Yesterday wasn't so good pts wise, I think TOM is lining up to visit and I was just hungry all day, plus the munchies. But I think I did better than normal, so we'll see. I'm almost thru with week one of my 12 week personal challenge, and so far so good. I'm averaging at the top of my points range, but I've added activity points in 3 of 5 days. Anyway.....

RR - DH sounds like a typicle guy/engineer you're just not attacking the store in a logical fasion. Glad you had fun anyway, and good luck at the doctors.

LBH - Sounds like you had a good time garage saleing. Good luck at the class.

Rabbit - . Glad the party was fun. Have a great birthday.

LA - Hope the apartment works out for you.

Greek - Sounds like you had a fun week. Good luck with the apartment.

Karen - Becoming early birds with pg another good reason to remain childless. (just kidding)

Well I need to go grab lunch and go shopping (in that order or I'll buy what I don't need!!!).

Have a great day everyone.

- Tech
Old 09-30-2002, 06:19 PM   #9  
Moderator - 30 Somethings

Hi guys. Whew, I'm tired. I actually came home and made dinner tonight. I got so used to coming home and napping then throwing something together in five min (or going out ) that this wore me out!! DH is going to clean the kitchen. Isn't he a sweetie.

Rabbit: Happy Birthday!!!! Hope you had a great one and that your candle wish comes true. How cool that the party went well. MIL is superstitious about doing stuff for the baby before it gets here. It's some Jewish thing. I'm going to disappoint her and get everything ready.

RR: How fun shopping for the baby!! DH's aunt has already said that she is buying the stroller. I'll let anyone buy whatever they want!!

Lauren: Wow, that is expensive. I was looking at our pamphlet last night and thought $135 was high. I'm going back and forth on whether or not I want an epidural. I sorta do when I think about pain relief, but when I think about the needle I DON'T.

Tech: Glad to hear that the muscles are getting better. Maybe you won't be so sore on Thurs. since you've done it once. Keeping my fingers crossed for you.

GG: I think I'm going to start calling you WACG. Wild And Crazy Girl. Keep on having lots of fun.

Gotta go feed the dogs and supervise the kitchen detail. Have a great evening.
Old 09-30-2002, 07:29 PM   #10  

Tech--WOW...U solved the riddle!!It is the logical guy type engineer thing..everything with a purpose in a logical manner!!!Hey, I am a pg nurse that does thing spur of the moment totally illogical cuz we deal soo much with people who are basically very illogical!!!!

Lauren--Have fun at the childbirth classes..I am soo frustrated..Now she wants to add some insulin cuz I had 2 sugars out of whack..Once when the cat went down the drain and the other when I had to pick up SD#1's cat that had died last week...I dont do the 2200 cal...Way too much food...I do good to get in 1500...I write down all calories and can honestly say..I have not even picked a nibble at all.....I will see at the appointment..I am also gonna cry for a sonagram!!Hmmm..and just so happen to have my VCR tape in my purse....Is that obvious??????

WEll...hello to all...Time to bathe Tootie and then myself!!!!Cross your fingers that the insulin will not happen tomorrow at the MD's!!!!!
RR
Old 10-01-2002, 05:12 AM   #11  

HAPPY BIRTHDAY RABBIT! XRONIA POLLA (Many years!!!) Hope you had a wonderful BD, and I see you had a very nice weekend too!

Hey Lauren, Don't get stressed! Just do what seems right for YOU. I was comparing things with here (you're better off in a lot of ways): Lamaze classes, Bradley classes, here in Greece it's a lot more complicated: almost no classes, find everything out for yourself, or get tutored by: Grannies (who sometimes used to still swaddle(!) their babies when they were young), any woman having had a child, their husbands, your mum ("oh, I remember like it was yesterday YOU were such a ... baby!"), your aunts, your friends, unknown passers-by, and last but not least, your gynecologist, usually introduced to you by one of the above.
One good tip I got from my gran: she always slept through the night from about 12-7 am, and trained the baby not to wake up for milk in about 10 days after the babies were born (!!!!!!!!!!!!!), by just letting it cry for a while and feeding it somewhat later every night, and the baby would wake up just a little later every day, up to the point it slept through to 7 am, so she had a full nights sleep ALWAYS, both with my dad and his brother, who apparently did very well on this system, and I think the main hitch is feeling sorry and giving n to the crying. HER mother was so upset when she saw this, because she'd given birth to 9 kids, and had to go through endless sleepless nights... Anyway, I have no kids yet, but I might try this one when I grow up...
I hope the classes are worth it, and reading into the subject is also good. Don't let all the separate opinions swamp you, though.

KarenK, I also though MIL wants to make sure everything is 100%before they decide on anything. Not specifically a Jewish thing though: they do it here too!
AND: you might find REALLY superfantasticacious stuff at incredibly good prices in a few months, and be sorry you've already bought so much! One thing I like going out for buying stuff and having good looks around in lots of shops (here it's lots of little businesses, each with their own style) in stead of doing it on-line, but I realize the distances here are slightly less, so it's easier to do things on-line sometimes. Don't hurry though, only buy what you like so much you'd feel bad about if you hadn't (die-hard shopaholic's advice) and what you WILL use. Apart from that, you'll probably get loads of stuff from friends (and MIL)

Tech, sounds you had a really good time! Stay on track with the challenge!

RR, too bad about the insulin! Does it get out of limits when you stress out or maybe the dr wants to keep the calories up to counteract these reactions. Have you told her you have problems following the eating guidelines? Maybe you can take a balanced supplement to avoid the insulin that way (?) Good luck at the MD's!

Have been very good and had a wild night: stayed perfectly op all day, no wine, cleaned up some summer stuff and went to bed (haha, Gotcha!)
Called my sis, and we grumped a bit at each other: she about my personal life and BF, and me about WW, as she went last week, saw at weigh-in she was up 1 pound, and got a bit dispirited so she went away immediately after and didn't attend the rest of the meeting. Anyway, she's started her new job today, so I'm not going to bother her now

bye!

GG (stands for Gaga)
Old 10-01-2002, 09:20 AM   #12  
LBH

Hi All,

Well, class was pretty cool...once we found it!! The lady lives a good 20-25 minutes from us, but it took us 35 minutes to get there because DH, who knows her area better than me, decided to take a road that he said runs paralell to the one we were supposed to take. I don't know why he couldn't just go up 2 more lights to the correct street!! So we didn't have the landmark to turn at, and it was all screwy, but we ended up only 5 minutes late and she said she likes to start on time, but gives everyone a week to find their way.

Anyway, there are 4 other couples. Three of the 4 others go to the same midwife as us! One goes to an OB, but said they plan on a MW for next time! That was kind of reassuring. Only one couple had been going to her for awhile, and they all had great things to say about her. Funny thing was, nobody seemed to know about the Drs. history, of course I told them!!

I told DH he's not gonna be able to relax me, because I'll be too busy laughing!! We both agreed that I have no problems relaxing, it's tensing up I have problems with! Anyway, we have to read 2 chapters of the book I have for next week, and we have exercises we have to do, like kegels (50x a day), which I'm horrible at! And outer thigh exercises, so my legs don't get tired and shake during pushing.

Karen- I was gonna ask you if your MIL was Jewish, because I read on another message board that they don't bring anything into the house before the baby's born. That's nuts!!

RR- That's interesting, is the insulin levels stress related??

Have a great day all!

Last edited by LBH; 10-01-2002 at 09:28 AM.
Old 10-01-2002, 11:03 AM   #13  

hi all!

I had a nice birthday. I really didn't feel well all day so last night I put on my pajamas early and watched tv - exactly what I wanted to do! I was so happy when the workers were out of my house for the day!

I went to the store and bought myself a little tiny cake for my bday (since I was alone ) and thought I'd have some for dessert (after my lean cuisine for dinner). And then one of my friends dropped off an apple crumb pie for me! Needless to say I had some of both!

Lauren - thanks for the birthday wishes! ~ good luck at your child birth classes. ~ I had the shaking legs thing, but I think it was after it was all over with . . .

Tech - thanks! ~ Hooray for the activity points!

Karen - Thanks! ~

RR - good luck at the doctors.

Greek - thanks! Yeah op!

gotta run. Have a super day! October already!

Rabbit
Old 10-01-2002, 02:08 PM   #14  

Hi everyone! Having a pretty good day here -- I even got a compliment about losing weight. WooHoo!! I took my measurements over the weekend and since the beginning of Sept I've lost 1/2" in chest and 1" in hips. However I gained an 1" in my thigh - at least I know it's all muscle. I'm starting week #3 of this new training program and I'm glad it's almost time to change it up. I'm still bummed I haven't lost any weight but oh well...it will come in due time right???

Rabbit, Happy Belated Birthday!!!! Too funny about the cakes!! I would have done the same thing -- heck, your birthday only comes once a year (thankfully) so just be good for the rest of the week to make up for it.

LBH, I'm glad you enjoyed your first class. Did DH have a good time too? What is it with men and directions??

GG, I think I've been making up for you in the wine drinking area. I've been on a kick lately and have to have 1-2 glasses every night. I hope the new apartment works out for you.

RR, sorry about the insulin. I hope you get your sonogram wish.

Karen, I've been trying all these recipes in a cookbook I bought recently. It's called "5 Ingredient, 15 Minute Cookbook: Cooking Light" and it's the best!! So far I've tried about ten recipes and they've all been awesome and low fat. The best thing is everything is really really easy -- a requirement for me to cook.

Tech, your hayride/campfire sounds like fun. Sorry you're dealing with TOM hunger. I just finished with that last week. Good luck with your exercise tomorrow.

LA, have fun with the parents. Better you than me!! I love to visit home but would go nuts after a couple of days (my mom is a major chain smoker that complains about everything -- very negative person but I still love her). I hope you are able to move into the new place soon. In the meantime enjoy your time with your family.

Have a good one -- tomorrow is hump day!!
Liz
Old 10-01-2002, 06:13 PM   #15  

Hey....GOod News!!!No insulin!!!! She was pleased with the results of the other sugars and dont think I can sustain a good level if she gives me the insulin..She didnt want to bottom me out any.... I lost a pound this visit but she wasnt upset..I am now up 9 lbs total....I get the sonagram in 3 weeks!!!!
Have a great evening!!!
RR
Closed Thread