Weight Loss Surgery If you've had it, or are considering it, share your discussions here

Old 02-18-2009, 07:39 PM   #1  
Pertnear Domestic Goddess

S/C/G: 250/133/125 RNY5/11/09

Height: 5'3

Question A silly question for anyone who knows the answer

When they cut the stomach in 2 sections the small pouch is going from the esophagus to the small intestine, right? So my question is what keeps the other half of the stomach from moving around if you may workout on a trampoline or may be up to riding a rollercoaster later on? I know it's weird to think about, but I've watched a few GB on tv and never saw them attach the other half to anything. I meant to ask my Surgeon but forgot and the next time I see him it will hopefully be at the surgury. Thanks to anyone who might know ,
GinaG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 09:19 PM   #2  
Eating for two!

S/C/G: 324 highest known/on hold/150

Height: 5' 5"

They don't really CUT the stomach into 2 sections. They create a separation via a line of staples. The stomach is all still attached, just a part is sectioned off by staples--imagine twisting a balloon. The balloon is still all 1 piece, just 2 separate sections.
jillybean720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 10:45 PM   #3  
Pertnear Domestic Goddess

S/C/G: 250/133/125 RNY5/11/09

Height: 5'3

Thank you so much for explaining, because on the televised surgeries it looked as if it's cut apart with some kind of carterizing scissors and my initial consult didn't explain that part of the surgery.
GinaG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 11:12 AM   #4  

With my surgery, the vertical sleeve gastrectomy, 85% of the stomach is removed totally from the body laproscopically leaving a small banana shaped stomach.
quilting lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 02:53 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 345/270/200

Height: 6'

No worries about your stomach going anywhere when you're working out The stomach is highly attached to the back-side of your abdominal wall by your peritoneum (Greater Omentum) and will be attached there even after your surgery.
loveticonderoga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 05:04 PM   #6  
Eating for two!

S/C/G: 324 highest known/on hold/150

Height: 5' 5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by quilting lady View Post
With my surgery, the vertical sleeve gastrectomy, 85% of the stomach is removed totally from the body laproscopically leaving a small banana shaped stomach.
Ditto here (VSG is the first half of a DS), but she's getting gastric bypass, I believe.
jillybean720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2009, 01:34 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 352/263.2/170

Height: 69"

For Roux-en-y, the intestine literally creates a "Y." The pouch is where the food goes through, but the stomach is connected a little further down. It still produces all your stomach acids and stuff. When your food comes down the intestine and reaches the "crossroad," the stomach releases these acids and finishes breaking down the food. If you're having Roux-en-y, the pouch and stomach are completely separated, but they're connected by parts of the intestine to the rest of the intestine.
skatardrummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009, 07:57 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 350/200/150

Height: 5'9

Not true, my stomach was completely cut in half. Some surgeons do the operation that way. My other stomach was attached to another part of my intestine to drain stomach acid to help digest food from my pouch.
ravengyrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 01:26 AM   #9  
not bad for a 47 yr Nana!

As I understand it, the two parts of the stomach are stapled in two lines and then cut between the staple lines and separated. Not all dr's do things the same but all RNY's I have seen videos of (online and on DHC) have done it this way. But as loveticonderoga said the larger portion of the stomach that is "bypassed" in the RNY is still connected to the peritoneum...the thick membrane around the organs that holds them in under the Diaphragm. The stomach won't go anywhere when exercising.

No worries love!

Angela

Last edited by missangelaks; 03-16-2009 at 01:30 AM.
missangelaks is offline   Reply With Quote