South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Old 03-10-2009, 10:50 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 294/289/170

Height: 5'4

Question Need help understanding phase 1

Im just curious if someone can help me understand this, I have done many diet's in the past this will be my first go round with south beach. I have read through the book I need to check it out again, But im wondering how it's possible to get in all the calories your body needs with mainly eating veggies?! I know you eat more on phase 2 but with phase 1 it's mainly veggies and the proteins so that's probally why you lose weight at first because your not getting enough calories right? I don't know that's why im asking.. I have done other diets where veggie's are practicly free food cal wise. Thanks for helping me understand! Im just starting SB today!
kimberb04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 11:15 AM   #2  

You do eat a lot of veggies but you are also eating protein, nuts, beans,dairy and good fats. I sat down one day and figured out how many calories I was eating in a day (I was curious) and it came to about 1400 calories.

The purpose of P1 is to get rid of the sugar/carb cravings.
mythreesons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 11:17 AM   #3  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

Welcome to the Beach. We hope you decide to join us in this healthy lifestyle change.

Phase I is not mainly veggies and we do get our calories. Protein is there at every meal and snack in the form of meat, fish, LF cheese or nuts. We also have dairy and legumes in Phase I.

In case you have an old version of the book, check out the Phase I Food List in the FAQ Section and the Phase I thread for some menu ideas.
Ruthxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 11:19 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 261/252/145

Height: 5'4"

I prefer not to think of SB as a "diet" but more as a healthy eating plan for life. I know it is called a "diet", right on the cover of the book, in fact that's what sells those books...
I'm glad you've read the book, but take another look at those menus. I disagree that you are eating mainly veggies. You do eat a lot of veggies, and that's important. You also eat lean protein, cheese, dairy, beans, nuts, and healthy fats. If you are eating the recommended serving amounts, you will be getting enough calories. I believe a typical Phase I menu is about 1800 calories/day, although calorie counting is not required. But Phase I is not balanced and not good for long term eating, that is why you only do it for two weeks. You also need the whole grains and fruits that you will add back in Phase II. The reason most people lose a bunch of weight in Phase I is because you stop eating processed foods and lose a lot of water weight. If you have been eating a healthy diet prior to starting SB, you may not lose as much as others will that have been eating lots of junk. That's okay because the main purpose of Ph1 is to get rid of any cravings for sweets and refined starches. The real weight loss will occur in Ph2.

Check out the stickies in the FAQ section. There's a lot of great Ph1 info there! Welcome Kimber and best of luck to you.

Ha, we all got there about the same time with the same answer, but I win the prize for the wordiest!! (as usual)

Last edited by beachgal; 03-11-2009 at 12:07 PM.
Schmoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 11:40 AM   #5  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

Yup - a Dagwood sandwich of advice within 50 minutes! And all of it good, I may add.
Ruthxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 12:55 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 294/289/170

Height: 5'4

Awesome thanks guys, Im going to check out the new book and look into those threads. It just seems like my first day is mainly veggies and protein but so far im feeling good and im not hungry! Im excited I hopethis is what i've been looking for it seems pretty healthy and i need to get off the carbs and sweets that's why i chose this thanks again.
kimberb04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 12:35 PM   #7  
I can do this!

Height: 5'11"

Great work, Kimber!

Just make sure you're getting dairy (fat free or low-fat), beans (especially in P1!), and good fats, so that you're full and stay "regular."
beachgal is offline   Reply With Quote