Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 03-07-2009, 07:12 PM   #1  
Carb fiend!

S/C/G: 246/232/140

Height: 5'8"

Unhappy Stuck in the 230's yet again :[

Hey,
Ive been watching what I eat as I found calorie counting too difficult while at uni, i'll probably go back to it over the summer while i'm at home. Anyways, i've been getting some pretty crazy fluctuations on the scale and its getting me down as I got back on the wagon in january when I saw 247 on the scale again and i'm now trapped in the 230's. I've come so close weighing 231 this morning. I started the couch to 5k program two weeks ago and i'm starting week three on monday and loving it so far. I'm at a loss as to why I haven't got to the 220's as yet.

When I started drinking 2.5 litres of water a day and cutting out all the rubbish form my diet I shot down to 239 in two weeks and ever since then i've just kept getting crazy fluctuations from being 232 at the end of the day before bed and 238 the next morning. I'm thinking maybe I should give my scales to a friend to hide in their room and weigh in once a week. I'm just wondering what i'm doing wrong. I know for sure I don't eat over 1800 calories a day and I walk at least 2 miles 4 days a week in uni so why aren't I loosing even .5 of a lb each week???
Just needed a little rant
Thanks
FakeFrowns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 07:59 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 234/154.4/120

Height: 5'6

If you're not calorie counting then how do you know you're not eating over 1800 calories? It's VERY easy to underestimate what you're eating.
FreeSpirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2009, 09:18 AM   #3  
Carb fiend!

I know roughly how much is in the stuff I regularly eat such as I have bran flakes with sultanas and semi skimmed milk for breakfast every day. Although I don't actually use my fitday to log everything as it takes too much time, I do add it up in my head as I go along. As well, I never seem to get hungry any more so I don't finish the majority of my meals as I get full real quick. Should I start writing down all the things I eat to keep track or something?
Old 03-08-2009, 09:36 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 307/lost 140+ lbs/125

It'd defiantly help you to record what you eat in a journal (online or paper).

Since you're at university, google to see how you can "measure" your food portions at the cafeteria... say a fist = 1 cup of food, a deck of cards = the amount of a particular meat or fish item, etc.

I'd also recommend you buy the "calorie king 2009 ed" book and take it with you on occasion to the cafeteria. That way, you could have a better estimate of your food at any given meal there!

How much sodium is in your diet? That can cause temporary weight gain, in addition to excess water intake and increase in any kind of exercise program (check the sticky "Fluctuations in Scale Weight and Water Weight" at the top of the weight loss support forum).

Keep going, you're doing great!

~ tea

Last edited by teawithsunshine; 03-08-2009 at 09:36 AM.
teawithsunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2009, 10:04 AM   #5  
Carb fiend!

Thanks for your suggestions. I'm in self-catered accommodation though so I get to cook what I want when I want it luckily. I'm not sure about my sodium intake but I stopped putting salt on my food and I stay away from highly processed foods and they have a lot hidden in them. I always try and get the better option for everything and I eat a lot more meat and fish that I used to so that I have plenty of protein as I am on the C25K program. I'm kind of guessing maybe I haven't gotten into the 220's cause I didn't do any jogging before I started and that my legs are toning up and thats why I haven't lost. Thanks!
Old 03-08-2009, 12:45 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 320/ticker/125

Height: 5'1"

I know what you mean with the 230s!!! I am STILL stuck there after 4 months. I got down to 230 then gained over 10 lbs now I'm back to 238. I think there's something about the 230's that's jinxing us lol
Amber1011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2009, 01:12 PM   #7  

Height: 5'6"

You may well be right about the exercise, but that will be a temporary thing.
Do try to log your food intake, though. I find that when I do not log, I do not lose!
dutchgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2009, 02:01 PM   #8  
Carb fiend!

I think i'll start logging again tomorrow, i'll just have to make time. I'm also gonna try not eating after 6:30pm. I've always heard its better for you not to eat after 6 or 7 at night. Not sure why though! I haven't had a problem with the 230's before now. When I first started losing weight last year I got down to 225lb then put on 10lb then got down to 223 before I came home for xmas then shot up to 247lb over xmas and during my exams. At least I feel a lot fitter than I did the last time. Thanks!