Old 03-08-2009, 12:00 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 235/204/145

Height: 5'8"

Default Hit a Plateau

Well,
Finally hit that plateau of 214 lbs. Should I decrease my calories (1736 cal) or should I keep my calories the same? Been exercising every day for at least 1.5 hours. I take a day break from exercise to let my body rest. How long will this plateau last?
yup005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2009, 12:42 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 240/230.6/216

Height: 5'4"

I recall seeing a thread somewhere on here about what to do if you reach a plateau, but I can't remember where I saw it now.

A couple ideas for you are;

1, Raise your caloric intake for a day and then jump back down. This may shock your system back into it. Or you could try getting a zigzag of calories throughout the week. If you want to stay around 1700 calories try doing something like;
S: 1900 M: 1500 T:1700 W: 1800 R: 1600 F: 1600 S: 1800
This way you're averaging 1700 calories a day, but your body isn't getting used to one certain amount. Or maybe 1700 5 days and then a 1500 and a 1900 the other 2 days.
2, Switch up your exercise routine. If you find you're doing the same thing every day you exercise change it up. Try something you haven't done before. Do different things on different days.
3, If you aren't eating snacks but instead eating just 2-3 meals per day then make your meals a little smaller and add in a few snacks.
4, Rest. Yes, taking a break from exercising can really help.

Maybe someone else can add some more ideas, or knows where that thread is about plateaus, but hopefully those few help you out some.
Gretchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2009, 12:51 AM   #3  

Agh I know the feeling I'm always either on a plateau or on the gain. It stinks! Thanks for the reply Gretchy it helped me too
Smashka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2009, 01:31 AM   #4  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by yup005 View Post
Well,
Finally hit that plateau of 214 lbs. Should I decrease my calories (1736 cal) or should I keep my calories the same? Been exercising every day for at least 1.5 hours. I take a day break from exercise to let my body rest. How long will this plateau last?

You're off to a nice start!

I think we may need a little more info though to give you as much help as possible

With a little more info, maybe we can help steer you towards the right direction. But do keep in mind, that weight loss is not linear. It will vary from week to week, even if you do the exact thing(s) week to week.
    rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 03-08-2009, 03:32 AM   #5  

S/C/G: HW/232 SW 215/ CW 133/GW 120's

Height: 5.7 and 1/2

yup, are you deducting exercise from your calorie intake or do you NOT calculate it in..

I calorie cycle. Yep, it works. If you have been exercising consistently with no days off for more than a couple of weeks, I would definitely take off one or two days.

I average 1500 calories daily. I also run about 45 minutes every morning. I do NOT try to deduct calories burned from my total intake. Weight loss isn't continual. I usually drops little chunks at a time and then nothing for several days, even weeks. It's just the way it seems to work.
    Thighs Be Gone is offline   Reply With Quote