Dieting with Obstacles Those with special health concerns such as diabetes, fibromyalgia, pregnancy, etc can post here for extra support and help.

Old 03-05-2009, 01:56 AM   #1  
Rubber Ducky

S/C/G: 341/307/135

Default Period Changes #2

I found this link help ful about changes in period cycles due to weight gain/weight loss.

http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/showthread.php?t=164363

I'd like to add to it. My issues is a little different and wanted to know if anyone else had this issue. I'm overweight and have recently started this journey. 330 lbs to be exact. My period is not normal. It's heavy, lasts super long, comes too often, etc. I have no other health problems that I know of. Instead of the normal flow of 5-7 days, off for 3 weeks...mine is the opposite. Off for a week, and a constant steady, light to medium flow the rest of the month. . My "period" lasts for about 3 weeks, maybe more, stops for a week or so and then returns.

I suppose I should see a doctor...I just hate doctors. They're so judgemental and just brush off issues. All of the doctors I've seen all brush it off with one diganosis: You're too fat. You're overweight and need to lose weight.

Has anyone else experienced similar issues? Did you seek further treatment until you got answers? Or am I really just "too fat".

*edit* not on birth control, never have been...not on any medications, take a daily multi vitamin.

Last edited by glitterducky; 03-05-2009 at 01:59 AM.
glitterducky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 04:40 AM   #2  
Tanya

S/C/G: 262/ticker/140

Height: 5'4"

You really need to see a gynecologist, this is not normal at any weight. I had had very long periods for years that i controlled with birth control pills. As I got older my BP went up and I had to switch to progesterone. That worked until a few years ago when I just started bleeding all the time and a lot. I ended up getting a blood tranfusion before I had a hysterectomy last Feb. They never had a definative answer to why my cycles were so strange. I have thyroid disease which could cause some issues, also fibroids which can cause excessive bleeding. Whatever the reason, no doctor ever told me it was due to my weight. If they do mention your weight just let them know you are aware of the risks of being overweight and that is why you are struggling so hard to lose weight, a good doctor will be nothing but supportive. Here's a suggestion...when I needed a new gyn I asked a few coworkers who also had extra weight who they saw.They all recommended a fantastic dr, she was in her fifties and overweight herself so she was very sympathetic to our struggles.
TSap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 09:05 PM   #3  
Rubber Ducky

Thanks. And I know it isn't weight related. THe doctor didn't know and probably wanted to give me some sort of answer. Weight was the only she could think of.

Last edited by glitterducky; 03-05-2009 at 09:06 PM.
Old 03-06-2009, 12:17 PM   #4  
wishin' for sun!

S/C/G: 260/see slider/135

Height: 5'1"

I'm wondering how old you are? If you're in the perimenopause years you can have real strange periods. But, I also agree that you probably need to see a gyno. Fibroids and other things can cause unusual bleeding and can usually be seen with ultrasound. I know how frustrating these things can be.
ronni62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 02:58 PM   #5  
Rubber Ducky

Default Response

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronni62 View Post
I'm wondering how old you are? If you're in the perimenopause years you can have real strange periods. But, I also agree that you probably need to see a gyno. Fibroids and other things can cause unusual bleeding and can usually be seen with ultrasound. I know how frustrating these things can be.
I'm 22. Should be in my prime days of normal periods.
Old 03-06-2009, 03:51 PM   #6  
wishin' for sun!

S/C/G: 260/see slider/135

Height: 5'1"

ok, knowing how young you are, I'd agree with TSap and think you should try to find a doctor who'll listen to you. Ask around if you can
ronni62 is offline   Reply With Quote