Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 03-05-2009, 01:44 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 217/196/135

Height: 5'7"

Default Difficult getting enough calories for the day

I was wondering if anyone else had this problem. If I eat until I'm not hungry, but don't have that gross stuffed feeling, I end up with about 900 - 1000 calories for the day, which I know is not enough. But if I try to get up to 1200 - 1400 hundred, I have to eat until I get that yucky overstuffed feeling. Does anyone else have this problem? Any suggestions? I usually eat 3 meals and 3 snacks. Thanks.
cammieb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 01:55 PM   #2  
Trying so hard....

S/C/G: 298/298/145

YES! Im aiming for roughly 1800 calories per day and I cant get there. I just cant. I am diabetic so I have to do low carb. So its extremely hard to get up to those calories cause everything I eat is basicly low calorie. Last night I even stuffed myself to where I said "oh" and then had to stop. People tell you to stop eating when you're not hungry, and to only eat for hunger, not for pleasure. But how can you do this if you arent up to your calorie limit? Ugh!
I just cant get there..........Im trying but it isnt working.
MugCanDoIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 02:00 PM   #3  
Don't turn back.

S/C/G: 262/(ticker)/153

Height: 5'6"

yes yes yes.
When I first joined this forum I got scolded by a lot of people for ringing in around 800 calories per day. They pointed out that this obviously was not enough, and by careful counting calories and planning meals, I have been able to raise it up to 1300 calories most days, but I still fall behind occassionally. Like all of this week.
But look at it this way--it's a process I guess. The more you try, the better you will get at incorporating those calories.
I look at it this way (and I'm sure some will disagree)--It's better to get too little than too many, right?
Just eat until you're full and let that be it. some days nothing tastes good to me, and i can't finish a meal to save my life. Some days I'm ravenous for EVERYTHING. The natural ebb and flow provides a good rhythm so that you don't get plateaued.
Good luck.
munchievictim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 02:02 PM   #4  
Happy Plodder

S/C/G: 238/158.9/138

Height: 5'2"

I asked this a couple of weeks ago and was advised to add in some nuts and dried fruit - healthy but high calorie and come in tiny amounts. I can't comment on how this would work for diabetics though.
Rosinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 02:08 PM   #5  

Oh wow. I'm glad to see that I'm not the only one with this problem. I thought maybe I was just weird or something. lol. The nuts are a good idea. I'll have to go buy some. I'm not really a fan of dried fruit. And munchievictim, you're right. Some days, no matter what, I can not get passed 900 calories without feeling like I'm going to throw up out of fullness and then other days, I can eat 1400 with no problem. Weird how that works.
Old 03-05-2009, 02:46 PM   #6  

S/C/G: maintaining at 135-140

Height: 5'5"

I definitely agree to go nuts!

I'm maintaining, but recently started eating about 2 oz. of raw almonds every day. I am eating more calories per day and have not gained an ounce. I swear they make me feel full longer and don't cause me to gain weight. And they have all kinds of health benefits! They are like my miracle food.

Last edited by Bluebird; 03-05-2009 at 02:47 PM.
Bluebird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 03:25 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 307/lost 140+ lbs/125

I always make sure I have nuts because I almost never get to 1200 calories minimum a day without a couple tablespoons of almond butter (for example) as a snack Just find something high caloric that you could enjoy as a quick snack or dessert to one of your main meals and there you go!
teawithsunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 03:34 PM   #8  
I will be positive

S/C/G: 224/183/135

Height: 5'4"

When i first joined i was having the same problem as well, and like many of the others i added nuts and peanut butter. yum yum yum
inspired by you is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 05:26 PM   #9  
So close to onederland...

S/C/G: 271/ticker/160

Height: 5'-8"

Peanut butter is a very easy solution, just a tablespoon will ususally be enough to get me to a safe level if I'm not very hungry that day.
sprklemajik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 05:42 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 157/133.4/130

Height: 5'5"

I think sometimes this problem comes about because, when trying to lose weight, people feel like they have to eat the lowest-calorie foods available - so they eat egg whites instead of eggs, skim milk instead of 2%, low-fat cheese instead of regular, and the only meat they touch is boneless, skinless chicken breast - then they have a hard time eating enough to get their calories in! Try looking at WHAT you're eating, and realize that higher-calorie foods aren't necessarily bad for you, esp. if you're having trouble meeting your caloric minimums.
Su-Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 05:50 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 215/199/180

Height: 5'8"

I'm also a nuts for nuts to fill out my calories at the end of the day. The other thing I do is to mix protein powder (make sure you get one without a lot of sugar) with skim milk. I never seem to get enough protein in a day so if I have more calories should eat, I always try to fill it with something that has a lot of protein.
KDuffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 05:52 PM   #12  
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

Height: 5' 8"

Quote:
I think sometimes this problem comes about because, when trying to lose weight, people feel like they have to eat the lowest-calorie foods available - so they eat egg whites instead of eggs, skim milk instead of 2%, low-fat cheese instead of regular, and the only meat they touch is boneless, skinless chicken breast - then they have a hard time eating enough to get their calories in! Try looking at WHAT you're eating, and realize that higher-calorie foods aren't necessarily bad for you, esp. if you're having trouble meeting your caloric minimums.
Ditto on this! I find this especially happens when people neglect getting enough healthy fats (olive oil, nuts, avocado, even fish oils...). All fats are definitely not bad, and putting some healthy fats in your diet has been proven to increase health outcomes while simultaneously keeping you more satisfied. And they're delicious.

I often get the impression from reading posts that people having this problem are skimping on breakfast - may not be true for everyone, but eating a teeny-tiny breakfast is a metabolism-slower, so get those extra calories in in the morning. A great 250 calorie breakfast that will keep you full and satisfied is a whole wheat low carb tortilla, spread with a tbsp of natural peanut butter, heated for 20 seconds or so in the microwave, and wrapped around a banana. Quick, satisfying, portable, and really really delicious.
mandalinn82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 02:09 AM   #13  
Mens sana in corpore sano

S/C/G: 165/121/120ish

Height: 5'2 (157 cm)

I can't tell for sure, because I haven't been counting calories in a year or so, but I think I also have this "problem". Probably because my take on food has changed and I aim at my 5+ fruits-and-veggies every day, prefer lean meants and fish to red meat anyway, and am not too keen on pasta and potatoes these days; it's actually hard to pile on many calories when you don't feel like eating the most fattening foods (yeah, right, if you had told me a few years ago that I'd say that...). But I also think it evens out in the end; I'll go like this for 2-3 days, and then feel hungrier and eat more the next day, rinse and repeat.

(I also do the white eggs thing, but that's because I can easily go through a 12-eggs carton every week, so I think 12 yolks/week would just be too much for one person. ^^
Kery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 02:38 AM   #14  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Su-Bee View Post
I'm afraid I'm guilty of this. I have fat free milk, only use egg whites, eat chicken and turkey, etc. I did have a very large breakfast today though (450 calories) and ended up getting enough calories for the day.

Thank you everyone for your advice and suggestions.
Old 03-06-2009, 08:56 AM   #15  
Here We Go Again

S/C/G: 256 / TICKER / 140

Height: 5'3"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Su-Bee View Post

I totally agree. Just because you're on a diet, doesn't me you have to eat everything that is fat-free, low-cal. Some high-calorie foods are good for you! Like peanuts. I looooove almonds and I enjoy eating peanut butter with slice apples or on a sandwich with some banana slices. If I am having a lower calorie day, things like this can be worked in appropriately.
WormwoodDoll is offline   Reply With Quote