Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 03-04-2009, 08:27 PM   #1  

Default Eating so little and not loosing wt

Any suggestions would be so appreciated. I am not eating enough to keep a bird alive on a VERY CONSISTANT basis every single day and am not loosing any weight. What in the world could be going on? So-o-o-o-o-o frustrated. Talk to me you guys.
grabec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 08:32 PM   #2  

Height: 5'3"

Eat more to lose weight.
Protein and veggies. Few starches.
rachinma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 08:34 PM   #3  
Where'd my 23yo body go?

If you're not eating enough calories, your body will save what little you do eat, and you won't lose any weight.
daydreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 08:34 PM   #4  
Registered Nut

S/C/G: 325/325/150

Height: 5'6"

Give us an example of what you would eat in a typical day.
RN BSN 2009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 08:47 PM   #5  

Thanks guys. 44oz instant coffee with cream, Splenda, Stevia that's breakfast. Salad with buttermilk dressing is lunch. Salad with buttermilk dressing is dinner. Please advise. Thanks. grabec
grabec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 08:50 PM   #6  
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

Height: 5' 8"

Your body is holding onto weight because you aren't feeding it enough calories. You're in classic "starvation mode".

Most people need to eat at least 1200 calories a day, unless under a physician's supervision...and the VAST majority of people need more than that to lose. You are eating, depending on quantities, very few calories - hence, no weight loss.

Your body is trying to save it's life by not burning anything, because you're not feeding it.
mandalinn82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 08:50 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 200/168/165

Height: 5'8"

You are starving yourself. EAT , you have to eat. more veggies, some protein, some whole grains.
willow650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 09:14 PM   #8  
Where'd my 23yo body go?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mandalinn82 View Post
Your body is holding onto weight because you aren't feeding it enough calories. You're in classic "starvation mode".

Most people need to eat at least 1200 calories a day, unless under a physician's supervision...and the VAST majority of people need more than that to lose. You are eating, depending on quantities, very few calories - hence, no weight loss.

Your body is trying to save it's life by not burning anything, because you're not feeding it.
What she said.
daydreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 10:30 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 225/169/125

Height: 5'7

I got stuck and the natural instinct is to cut back which I did and was still stuck so I heard on some nutrition show on the radio that we should eat 30 grams of protien for breakfast to jumpstart our metabolism. So I put the scale away and started eating eggs w/ cheese & turkey bacon for breakfast then also making sure I was getting 30 grams of protein at lunch & dinner too- not easy for someone who is not a meat fan- but I am happy to say that it worked. I am back on track and have been consistantly losing 2.5 lbs/ week (and I still eat bread, pasta, etc)
photoRuth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 06:19 AM   #10  

Maybe you're not doing exercises properly or not completing it properly, atleast 30 minutes on tredmill is compulsory + do AB's , 5 sets of 50 per day then things would turn your way

Last edited by alextiggs; 03-28-2009 at 03:58 AM.
alextiggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 09:36 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 272/240/140

Height: 5'8"

Your body is in starvation mode. If you are eating under 1000 calories (which I assume you are from your description), your body is going to cling onto any food it gets and store it because it thinks there's a problem.

Try cutting down your calories to around 1500 and working out for half an hour. Weight loss doesn't need to be painful.
vikkivma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 10:31 AM   #12  
Workin' It

I agree, not eating enough. Your body thinks there is a famine or something going on so it is holding every calorie you give it in case you don't give it anymore for a while!
Shannon in ATL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 10:34 AM   #13  

Height: 5'1"

I can't offer any more advice. Others have already done that. We have such smart people here!'

I just want to offer some more encouragement. You are trying hard and just need to change things around a bit. if you've been eating that few calories, the added food will make a big difference for you.

You might want to try making out a menu for a week or so. make the food you do choose healthy.

Good luck, you can do this!
the slim me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 10:59 AM   #14  
Work in progress

S/C/G: 165/ticker/120???

Height: 5'2"

I know it's hard to break that way of thinking... the less I eat, the more I lose. But the truth is, that's just not the case. Think of your metabolism as a furnace... the more fuel you put in there, the hotter it will burn... too a point anyway. Stick too much fuel in there and you will smother out the fire. It's a delicate dance. You also need lots of protein to build muscle and keep your hunger away. Also, whole grains (in moderation), provides healthy fiber. Add in a sprinkle of more healthy fats, and you are good to go. Never eat below 1200 calories, or you will thwart your own efforts.
LittleMoonRabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 11:00 AM   #15  

That diet is insane. If you don't feed your body, you will destroy your metabolism. Take the good advice and eat a well balanced diet every day...and cut the cream in the coffee. Protein with every meal and snack will make a difference.
QuilterInVA is offline   Reply With Quote