Old 02-28-2009, 07:13 AM   #1  

Default Steel Magnolias #13

Good morning to you ladies! It is cold and rainy here this morning. We are supposed to get a bit of snow, but it is going to have to get colder to do that today.

We have Thomas's Cub Scout Blue and Gold banquet to go to tonight so it is supper out. Hope it is better than the last one, but my sil is the cubmaster so I imagine Kelly will do better. When Jay was in Cubs we just had a potluck but they buy stuff at this one and charge people a small fee. I don't know how they come out of it ok, because it is just $5 a person.

Susan: Thanks for the batik lesson. I would love to see the actual fabric and see what it looks like. I am sure it is beautiful. I would probably be ghastly at applique, better stick with knitting. I can't even cut things correctly, though it is mainly because I am left handed and scissors are made for rightys so I have to turn them upside down most of the time.

Jean: Hope your weather is not shutting you in the house today. I thought maybe I could get you to do some grocery shopping for me! One of these days, Jack and I are going to come visit your little town so we see just what it is like.

I scouted out Alicia's dining room when I was there and she has a huge table so I have to make double the placemats, but I have ordered the yarn to make them with. I hope it gets here soon so I can start and finish them. Their anniversary is April 10. No way will I get my sister's made as my nieces have never let me know her kitchen colors.

Guess I will get some chores done this morning before 8. The Cincinnati Reds ball club's tickets go on sale at 8 and I am going to see if we can get a couple tickets to go in August to see the Cubs play. At least I can guarantee no hurricane in Cincinnati this year!

Have a great weekend all!
Faye
gma22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 12:37 PM   #2  

Good Morning, Flowers! Just peeking in on my way by. I have laundry going and need to make a grocery list for after lunch. The sun is shining but it is cold . . . 15 degrees with a slight breeze = COLD! Nothing much planned for the weekend as far as I know.

Susan -- Thank you for the Batik lesson! I wondered about the wax part in the dictionary explanation. The fabric sounds beautiful and I'm sure whatever you decide to make will be gorgeous! Enjoy your class with Ami. When you said "messy, but fun" I thought of fingerpainting with pudding in a preschool class.

"Gma" -- Have fun at the banquet tonight! Even when Jason was in scouts and we would have pot lucks, people would buy deli food and bring it. When we were on the new member welcoming committee at church, we would have pot lucks and people would bring their recipes to share. There are/were some very good cooks at the time -- me not being one of them! I usually fixed salads and desserts because I couldn't do much damage there. If you come to Storm Lake in the winter you can watch the ice fishermen on the lake. If you come in the summer you can watch the Mexicans at the waterpark. Rumor has it that they are raising the prices for the coming season so maybe it won't be as crowded as last year.

I need to get busy! Hope you all have a nice day today!

Jean -- from Iowa!
Jean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 04:00 PM   #3  
Thin Within

Talking Saturday In The Heartland

GOOD AFTERNOON MAGNOLIA FRIENDS

It is a chilly day here in the heartland but the talking heads say it is supposed to get warmer tomorrow. I have a meatloaf in the oven cooking and it sure smells good. I will make a fresh loaf of sourdough bread later and have my starter out getting to be room temperature. I am tankful for my box of food safe gloves every time I make meat loaf. I don't like getting that stuff under my fingernails one bit. Not much happening around this berg. I do have to go for a rerun on my mameogram Monday. Seems they found a clouded spot but this is not the first time I have had to go for a rerun so I am not aprehensive about it at all for others have found a clouded spot before and it is just that, a clouded spot. Just hate to have it done the first time and really don't like a repeat. But you just never know so I will go back and make sure it is just the same ole clouded spot.

DONNAHave fun at the dinner even if the food is ho hum. The kids are so cute at that age. I do hope you get good seats for your ball game. In my younger days when I was working out in CA and 60 miles from Doger Stadium I was a regular in the stands. Bunch of us fans from work bought a block of seats in the 3rd row and never did all of us have the same time off to all show up so there was always seating when I went. There were seats empty all around us so we could spread out if we wished. Those were the good ole days when we knew the players to speak with and to joke around and have conversations. Tommy Lasorta was really a hoot back then.

SUSAN I love batik material. In the "old days" I even learned how to make it and made some moo moo's out of it to wear to the beach as cover ups. I even made a bed spread or two back then. Even a lined jacket to wear with jeans. I wasn't a hippie but lived in that era. I was working for Uncle Sam when others were doing their wandering. I can imagine it would make lovely quilt blocks. Post a picture if your quilt when you get it done please.

JEAN I've been to Storm Lake but it was before I knew you. It was also when there weren't so many folks there. Times they have changed for sure. Enjoy your day off and hope you find everything you need at the store.

To hip gotta go now. Type at y'all later.

Last edited by Maggie; 02-28-2009 at 04:03 PM.
Maggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 06:56 AM   #4  

Good morning to you ladies! I hope your day is starting out well. We have snow, snow and more snow here. It started yesterday afternoon and fell until late last night. Jack is going to have to shovel the deck as Fortune won't even try to go out the door this morning.

Gail and Gloria: We haven't seen you around here in awhile and I hope you are both doing well.

Jean:Ok, Jean, just because I talked about coming to visit you in Storm Lake sometime does not mean I ask for your snow! At the church in Indiana, we had a couple ladies who were dreadful cooks and always brought 2-3 dishes apiece. I always took a plateful between the two so it looked like someone was eating it and then sneaked it into the trash and put stuff on top of it. They were going to bring stuff no matter what so I felt someone ought to be nice enough to "eat" some of it. No one would touch any of their dishes because they were truly awful. Kelly and Tom did a great job at the banquet. They had bbq, buns, beans, slaw, hot dogs and assorted chips. The only bad thing was their lemonade. Tasted like water. The boys always makes cakes/desserts decorated like the theme, which was dinosaurs this year, then everyone votes on the best one, then they give that person a prize and then we eat them. I had one of T's cupcakes and a piece of a great looking dinosaur that stood up and everything, but I scraped off all the frosting then didn't eat it! They have a early bird drawing and Kelly and Tom really do a great job. They gave away tons of stuff, movie passes, a $100 putt putt gift certificate, a $250 sleeping bag, a telescope (actually this was a gift from them as Kelly sold $800 worth of popcorn this year and got that as a prize) some gift cards from Incredible Pizza, nice pocket knives and compasses. They got it all donated. Thomas took home a haul because I won, Jack won, his nana won and his pops all won so he took home three sets of gift cards from the pizza place and one of those big pumping water gun things. One of the boys complained he had too many people with him and got too many prizes! lol We were the only grandparents there and he had both of them there. It will be fun for him in summer as he has a swimming pool at his house.

Maggie: I put in a chicken to cook for chicken and noodles this morning. We went out to the commissary yesterday and boy was that a mistake. Luckily, we weren't doing a big shopping as there were a bazillion people out there. So many in fact, there were no carts. Food was picked over and meat coolers empty. I had Jack get the chicken and he brought me a 6 lb roaster. Enough to feed an army so I imagine when I debone it, I will put some away in the freezer for next time. It was just nuts out there. The line to check out went clear to the back of the store, down one whole aisle and then turned and went left a ways. They had 5 checkers so it was slow going. I had to sit about 5 minutes is all in the "waiting room" to get tickets. I then got terrific tickets about 10 rows up behind home plate for the game. I always booked our hotel and found a Hilton Garden Inn that had a 1 bedroom suite for less than what another one down the road wanted for a prepaid regular room. I like staying in suites if we can and the price is right as I can watch tv, read or knit if Jack is sleeping and not disturb him that way. So we are all set for our baseball trip. We may visit the zoo and drive over to the big Dayton mall, which is 30 miles away and go shopping! Whoo hoo new purse time! lol

Well, I am stalling. I am starting the cleaning today since we are housebound with the icky snow outside so I better kick behind and get started on it. Have a great Sunday and keep warm and dry!

Faye in the frozen South..... (Fortune out in the snow looking for a dry spot! )
Old 03-01-2009, 12:24 PM   #5  

Good Morning, Flowers! The sun is shining brightly but it is only 12 degrees outside . . . up from 4 when I got up at 8:00! I never sleep that late so must have needed it. I've put a roast in the crock pot and read the Sunday paper so far this morning. I need to finish the last couple loads of laundry and do some much needed ironing.

Maggie -- Good luck with the repeat mammogram. I'm glad you aren't concerned; I would be a wreck because I've never had to go back. It's good to be 100% sure everything is ok. We have a digital machine here and if they don't like the looks of the first picture they take another one right away. They also have last years pictures to compare with at the same time. What all do you put in your meatloaf? Mine never turn out the same way twice. Bob went with me to get groceries yesterday; I always end up with a few "surprises" at the checkout when he is along.

"Gma" -- I'm always happy to share our snow! This last time we didn't get much but it was on top of ice so it is quite slippery and the shaded areas. Commissary shopping reminds me of SAMs Club or WM at Christmas time. I hate waiting in lines and especially when some little old lady waits until all her stuff is bagged and then digs out her checkbook and balances it while everyone behind her is giving her dirty looks. I hope I remember not to shop after 4 when it is a busy time of year or on Fridays! It sounds like the banquet was a huge success! I had to chuckle at the loot Thomas took home. The sleeping bag prize made me think of the time that Jason's troop hiked out to the island, in the lake, and camped out overnight. They dug holes/trenches in the snow and snuggled in. It didn't sound like fun to me and now I can't believe that we let him do that. You did get good tickets for the game!

Hope you all have a nice day! I have to get busy!

Jean -- from Iowa!
Old 03-01-2009, 06:21 PM   #6  

Good evening, ladies! Rain and cold and snow on the way after midnight. Maybe 2 inches by tomorrow night. I can't remember snow in March in the last 20 years. Must be global warming, huh?

The quilt show is over for another year...and just in time, in my estimation. I am tired. Right now I'm saying I won't be going every day next year, no classes, no working, just one relaxing day and then that's it - at least until the brochure comes in October and I rush to sign on the dotted line for more classes and more work to pay for them.

They will be putting pictures of the winning quilts on the web site so I'll post the link when they go up and you can see them.

If you want to see what batik fabric looks like, www.batiks.com is the website for the shop I bought the fabrics from. They sell at quilt shows, on line and in their shop in Wytheville, VA which is just across the line from Tennessee (clear on the otherside of the state from me).

Well, I need to get my things ready to go back to work tomorrow. Playtime is over. Have a good evening.
QuilterInVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 07:39 AM   #7  

Good morning ladies. Cold and icy roads here this morning, but a lot of the snow has already melted. We have no plows so the roads didn't get plowed and the snow got packed down and froze overnight. UGH! I will worry about Jack until he calls me. I told him to take the SUV this morning as it warms up quicker and it was in the garage so he wouldn't have to clear snow off it, etc.

Jean: I guess the northeast is getting hid bad. They are getting a major snowstorm from the stuff we got. I know a lot of people put bell pepper in the meatloaf, which I like, but Jack doesn't so my meatloaf is just onions, bread crumbs, egg and ketchup mixed together and baked. I never measure just kind of eye it. Way my grandma cooked and it is the way I learned to cook. Unfortunately, it is tough to tell someone (as my dd and such) how to cook when you cook that way.

I have floors to mop this morning then the downstairs is done. I couldn't see doing it yesterday with the mess outside and it will probably still be a mess with the rest melting but they need to be done. Guess I will start upstairs tomorrow and do sheets today.

Hope everyone has a great day. We are supposed to be in the 70's by Thur, just in time for me to volunteer again.
Faye
Old 03-02-2009, 02:32 PM   #8  
Thin Within

Default Monday Monday

GOOD AFTERNOON MAGNOLIAS

It is a chilly day here in the heartland. The swift breeze carries with it a sharp bite. Later this day is weigh in and I am not going to be a happy camper for I don’t deserve a loss. What did I do this week after I gave myself a nice talking to then I blew it. Guess my main problem might be is that I don’t handle success well. Got back a bit ago from my ultrasound appointment and now the next phase is someone like a doctor looks at it and then decides that I am good for another year. I don’t anticipate any problems.

DONNA UGH don’t ya just hate it when the snow freezes like that on the roads. Hope all is well with Jack since he has to be out in it. You stay in and be cozy.

JEAN Every meatloaf I make turns out a bit different but Will likes them all. This last one had this going for it.
2 pounds lean hamburger
4 Italian sausage links with the casings removed
Mixed all the rest together in a bowl before adding it to the meat:
1 Cup catsup
1/4 Cup milk
1 egg
6 crushed soda crackers
½ onion chopped
½ green bell pepper chopped
2 garlic cloves chopped
1 envelope dry onion/mushroom soup
Italian seasoning (few shakes)
Fresh ground black pepper (several grinds)
Worcestershire Sauce (several shakes)
Donned gloves and mixed it all up into a loaf and placed it in my meatloaf pan. The pan is like a large bread pan with a perforated insert that has holes in the bottom to drain off any of the fat that runs out when cooking.
I bake it at 350° for 1 hour and 45 minutes.

SUSAN Thank you for that batik website. I am thinking of getting some to make a mu moo out of. I imagine your quilt will be very lovely.

To hip gotta go make some lunch. See ya later

Old 03-02-2009, 05:48 PM   #9  

Good Afternoon, Flowers! The sun is shining but it is another cold and windy day in my neighborhood. The weatherman promised warmer temperatures as the week goes along. We'll see. I won't complain too much as long as the sun is shining. Bob has practice at church so I won't see him until 6:30 or so. It's leftovers for supper so that is easy.

Susan -- I'm glad you enjoyed the quilt show and can imagine you are tired! I know what you mean about cutting back until it is time to sign up once again. By then you have forgotten how tired you were last night. Thank you for sharing the batik website. I'll take a look as soon as I am done here.

"Gma" -- When we lived in Ohio we had a neighbor who was Italian and cooked by a shake of this 'n that. I wanted her lasagna recipe (she didn't use one) so as she made it I sat and watched tyring to guess approximately how much would be in her shakes. Mine never did taste as good as hers did though. It sounds like the eastern states are getting hammered. We've been lucky with the last couple of storms and haven't gotten much of anything.

Maggie -- Thank you for sharing your recipe. My mom always put a little pork in her meat loaf and I had forgotten that until you mentioned the sausage. I like cold meat loaf sandwiches while Bob likes his warmed up when he eats leftovers. I can do the eating OP very well for a few days and then blow it big time. This has not been a good week. Next Saturday night is a prime rib dinner at our church and we have invited another couple to go along. They are the couple we go to Maui with so will pick our date for next year while we are together that evening.

I guess I will read the paper and unload the dishwasher. Hope you all have a nice evening and a terrific Tuesday tomorrow!

Jean -- from Iowa!
Old 03-03-2009, 09:12 AM   #10  

Good morning to you ladies! It is quite cool here this morning but supposed to warm up to the 40's which is ok, because starting Wed and for the next 10 days we will be in the upper 60's to 70's everyday. Maybe spring is upon us!

Susan: The batik fabrics are really lovely and I am sure they will make some lovely things for you. I know you must be tired after the quilt show, but it is so much fun, you don't notice until it is all over and you are back home again to the routine. Have fun picking what classes and such. Do you teach classes too?

Maggie: Jack said the media was alarming people because the streets were dry and ice free. The little stinker forgot to call me though to tell me he got there ok so of course I got worried. He finally remembered though and knew he would get an ear full! I am going to Trader Joe's later this morning and get my fruit for the next two weeks. Starting on Sunday, (after I have been to the commissary for our big bill of groceries on Saturday,) I am going to be following a combo of WW and calorie counting sort of as I am using specific menus for each meal. Where I don't have a dinner menu because Jack won't eat something they have listed for dinner, I will substitute with my own recipes/menus I use for WW. I am hoping by having specific meals and snacks listed in full menus, I can better stay on the program and lose the weight.

Jean: You ought to get some prime pricing for your trip next year. One of the hot spots getting hit really hard is Hawaii and Maui especially. I saw that some of the condo style places to stay have cut their prices as much as 60%. I know you usually go in February, right? Is that a more expensive or cheaper part of the year to go? I know that warm weather spots like Hawaii, Mexico, Bahamas, even Vegas has times of the year that are more expensive than others mainly because it is cold up here I guess.

Well, I want to get the laundry in the dryer. I already have morning chores done and will shower, dress and get out and get some errands ran in a little while after everything is open.

Have a great day everybody!
Faye
Old 03-03-2009, 02:39 PM   #11  

Good afternoon, ladies! It is COLD - 19 degrees! We had 4 inches of snow yesterday, but I still made it to work. For those who live in snow areas, 4 inches doesn't sound like much, but we have no snow most winters, 2 snowplows for the whole Peninsula and they have to keep I-64 open, so is always a big deal. Today it is gone - a few bits left in shady areas is all. The schools were closed yesterday because of the snow and today because of the cold. These kids don't have the thick winter clothes to stand waiting for the school bus when it's so cold. Groans and gripes for sure because there were no snow days in the schedule for this year so they will have to make them up in June.

I'm having a hard time with WW, too. Just fell off the wagon and can't get back on securely. Faye, if I have a written menu to go by, I eat exactly what is on it, no more nor no less. Problem is putting the menus together. I've just gotten lazy about it. And I eat out a whole lot more than for several years past when Stan was sick. I've just got to handle that better. I have vowed I won't give up, though, so I'm still paying for my monthly pass and I'll keep on until I finally get it together again.

Have a good evening!

Jean, I must have lived next door to the same Italian lady. My husband loved her lasagna and I sat with her to "learn" the recipe. Unfortunately, it didn't take or I flunked because it was never as good as hers.

Faye, I give Jack an earful, too. I know you were worried when he didn't call right away. Did you make up your menus yourself?

Maggie, your meatloaf sounds really good. I usually put turkey, beef, and sausage in mine.

I have a doctor's appointment the 27th and I might move it up. My feet and legs are swelling a lot and it doesn't go down overnight and I've been more short of breath - but that could just be because of my asthma and the cold. I've been waiting for signs of heart disease because it's what did most of my family in - no cancer in anyone, but heart attacks - first one kills. The doctor gets mad at me because I refuse a lot of the cancer screenings but he never suggests something to check for early heart disease.
QuilterInVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 04:01 PM   #12  
Thin Within

Red face Tuesday

GOOD AFTERNOON MAGNOLIAS

It is supposed to get warmer as the week progresses. Last evening at WW I got myself some “stuff.” I got a new tracker booklet, a new little keychain gadget for holding a days points and subtracting the numbers as you consume the food points. It is 1x2½x¼ and light as a feather and you know how I ♥ weight loss gadgets. I also got some of those new candies that are a point for the whole pack of Cappuccino Cream Melts which are great. I can make a whole pack last a week or two. When one of my favorite ladies that works there handed me one out of her pack I had to get some. I am determined to keep my FOCUS this week. I have to ~ March is already here and I have squandered the first two months. So I have got my determination renewed.

JEAN Those weather men are ensationalists and don't get it right half of the time but are all we have unless we want to go out and chase the weather ourselves. I took a class in college of weather and rather know what they go through to get their predictions. The weather doesn't always cooperate the way the models say it will so then their predictions are off. We eat our meatloaf in stages because we both like it. First we have a hot meal with veggies etc, then the next day for lunch it is cold sandwiches and the following morning is fried slices (in pam of course) and Eggland eggs and fruit. The rest is cubed and used in soup. I slice it up the first day and refrigerte the slices for sandwiches and breakfast then cube the rest and freeze that portion. Works for us.

DONNA OH Jack gotta call your woman! I sure wish we had a Trader Joes here, but alas we don't and I don't know of a town around here that does. They were one of my most favorite places back in my younger days living eleswhere. Maybe there is one in Texas. We are going there on purpose on the 10th.

SUSAN I can understand those poor kids not having winter coats there. What a shock to them to get so cold and miserable. We lived two blocks from the Pacific and I remember it snowing once there but we had snow clothes because of our cabin in the Sequoias that was 6 thousand feet up and got lots of snow which we played in each year we got to go up there. It was about a 4 hour drive from where we were on the coast. Not many folks where we lived had the snow clothes like we did though. I never even had to wear a coat while living there close to the ocean. I had a rain slicker and umbrella but didn't wear my coat because it was such good weather there. Chilly winter weather we wore a sweater.

BTW I came back to tell y'all that the powers that be in the medical field here just called and said my ultrasound only revealed what I told them I have had for years was that little benin cyst which is the size of a sweat pea seed that in the past the folks giving my mam-e-o-gram put a marker on. Well maybe next go round they will listen to me and put a marker on it.

Everone have a lovely afternoon. Type at y'all later

Last edited by Maggie; 03-03-2009 at 04:27 PM.
Old 03-03-2009, 05:50 PM   #13  

Good Afternoon, Flowers! It's another cold and sunny day in my corner of the world. With the wind the warmer temperature doesn't feel very warm out there. School was SSDD again today. The students who have "Hopeless" are beginning to ask to move out of her homeroom and study halls. You'd think the office would get a clue! I hate it in there as much as the kids do and I only have to put up with her for 40+ minutes every day.

"Gma" -- My guess is that from December through March are more expensive months to travel anywhere where it is warm. I know that there are great deals out there right now because of the current economy. The problem is that we can book our suite, but not the airline tickets this far in advance. We are thinking of flying to CA, staying overnight there, and then off to Maui the next morning so that we arrive earlier in the day. I've never been to a Trader Joe's but have heard good things about them. I'm glad Jack made it to work ok even if he did end up in the dog house for not calling.

Susan -- I'm glad your snow is gone. Many of the Mexicans only wear hooded sweatshirts to school and our cold weather lasts for months. It seems like the younger children do have winter jackets, but I'm thinking that the elementary teachers might get involved if necessary. I know they go outside for recess unless the temperature/windchill is below 0. You know, I think food just tastes better when someone else makes it! I've asked for recipes from others over the years and my creation never tastes as good as what I tasted of theirs. I hope you get some answers from the doctor. I know asthma and cold weather don't go together.

Maggie -- I'm glad your mammogram results were what you said it would be. I'd say you are set for a GREAT OP week ahead!

I need to get a few things done, as in vacuum some fur. Spring must be coming because Ernie is shedding more than he did. Have a nice evening and a wonderful Wednesday tomorrow!

Jean -- from Iowa!

Last edited by Jean; 03-03-2009 at 05:50 PM.
Old 03-03-2009, 07:39 PM   #14  
Thin Within

Talking Back At Ya

STILL TUESDAY

JEAN Probably why your dishes don't turn out like the hostess did is that some of us don't exactly follow the recipe exact. I have been called a gourmet because I take a recipe and make it better with fewer points. It is a knack and not learned in my case. I have always liked using spices and have learned what goes well together and how much to sprinkle in or dump in without measuring it. My brother used to tell my very mother that I was a gourmet because I could make the same dishes she did but made them better and she was and still is a good cook. But people that ask me for a recipe for a dish they have eaten here can't make it the same because I did make some instinctive changes. I tell them when I give them the recipe that it won't be exactly like I make it because I don't follow the recipe exactly. However, I have learned to lighten up most dishes and retain the good taste in the process.

Old 03-04-2009, 07:44 AM   #15  

Good morning to you ladies! It is supposed to be 60 here today so I look forward to that.

Well, I goofed yesterday when I said Trader Joes. It is Whole Foods, but it was neat none the less. I bought all my fruits, my almonds and my soy nuts so I have all that ready to start again on Sunday. I passed up the bakery stuff but boy oh boy did they have some good looking desserts with piled high frosting and such! lol I know I have to start staying away from desserts and such as I will eat them until they are gone so it is best not to have even one.

Jean: Memphis is like Yorktown, we just don't get the snow and they said we got 8 inches, but looked like at least 5 on our deck. I don't have a winter coat either and froze in Indiana. It just isn't worth it for no more than I would wear it. Hope you have a nice time with your friends and your planning session. Jack and I have as much fun planning as the vacation almost.

Maggie: If you go to the trader joes website, you can get all there locations. They are mostly on the coasts it looks like, but I guess they are building one in Nashville. I really liked the whole foods experience, but I could spend big bucks in there getting all their stuff.

Susan: I am using a variety of different places to have menu choices. I am trying to really cut fat, but keep within what is necessary for health and cut out snacks they are basically not necessarily unhealthy, but don't provide any nutrition either. I am going more with whole wheat crackers, ff cream cheese and fruit, stuff like that for snacks. I am doing a 3 meals, 2 snacks thing. Eating out is so very tough because even though you say, no butter, dressing on the side, yada, yada, you have no control with what is put in a dish, etc.

Well, I gotta get started on my work for today. My yarn is coming today for the placemats for Alicia for their anniversary. It will give me something small to take with me to the clinic tomorrow.

Faye