South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Closed Thread

Old 03-03-2009, 03:08 PM   #1  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

Default Phase I Beachers Thread

If you are new to Phase I or a Repeater, please post your questions, kudos and in here along with menus for critique. It's good to have all the info in one thread so we can all benefit.
Old 03-03-2009, 07:17 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 184/184/160

Height: 5'5''

Where do I begin? I have heard from friends that SBD Phase I has changed in the last year. Any thoughts?
Old 03-03-2009, 07:47 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 184/184/160

Height: 5'5''

My biggest issue with Phase I is alcohol consumption. I know that I have no plans for the upcoming weeks that would deter me from the diet but man it is hard.

I am also a carb queen.

My pitfall in PI has always been alcohol and bread.
Old 03-03-2009, 08:20 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 144/131/128

Height: 5' 4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbrown27 View Post
My biggest issue with Phase I is alcohol consumption. I know that I have no plans for the upcoming weeks that would deter me from the diet but man it is hard.

I am also a carb queen.

My pitfall in PI has always been alcohol and bread.
Then Woo-OOO! SBD is the place for you!! I can't really speak on the alcohol side of things, never did much for me. But, I was definately a carb addict. When I was nursing my DD, you'd be stunned at the JUNK I ate because I could (I lost weight no matter what I ate while nursing).

Now....not much. Fast food is a turn off, don't each chips anymore, but I still enjoy my bread. I did try my kids' plain white pancakes though, they were nasty!!

I think if you stick with it, and this board is great support, you'll be changing your eating habits in no time.

Good luck!!
Old 03-03-2009, 08:45 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 186/147/135

Height: 5'1"

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbrown27 View Post
Where do I begin? I have heard from friends that SBD Phase I has changed in the last year. Any thoughts?
cbrown! The most important thing you should do FIRST when starting the South Beach Diet plan is to read the book. It explains in detail the concept of this plan and just why you should and shouldn't eat certain foods. It is an invaluable source of information. Once you've read and understood the book, you'll be set to go!
Old 03-03-2009, 09:08 PM   #6  

S/C/G: Too much/Less/Just Right!

Height: 5'4"

Someone correct me if I'm wrong. There are two SBD books. The one called "Supercharged" is the newer book with the new foods? Correct?
Old 03-03-2009, 09:09 PM   #7  
beachin'

S/C/G: 240/125/130

Height: 5'8

Chel - correct.
Old 03-04-2009, 06:30 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 186/147/135

Height: 5'1"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chelby29 View Post
Someone correct me if I'm wrong. There are two SBD books. The one called "Supercharged" is the newer book with the new foods? Correct?
Yes, there are 2 SBD books. The newer book is basically the same as the original, but there are a few changes in the approved foods lists, and exercise suggestions are added. Dr. A also goes into more detail about Phase 2 and how to introduce fruits and starches into your eating plan. If you have the original book, you'll be fine, as we have the revised food lists here in our FAQ forum.
Old 03-04-2009, 09:55 AM   #9  
Just keep breathing!

S/C/G: 191.7/191.7/145

Height: 5'5

Restarting SBD right after spring break! ()
Old 03-04-2009, 10:09 AM   #10  

I'm restarting today.
I started a little over a month ago and moved into phase 1.5 (even though I didn't have a "clean" phase 1. I was doing ok until 2 1/2 weeks ago then went completely downhill. (Though I at least kept up with my daily workout.)
So I went shopping yesterday and am determined to make it work this time! (I tried SBD a few years ago and lost over 50lbs and kept it off for about a year then slowly got out of good habits then last summer fell off the wagon completely and spiraled into even MORE weight gained than the 50 I had lost!)
On the plus side, even though I gained some weight back in the past few weeks, I still posted a total of 7 lb lost since my Feb "restart"!

--Linda
Old 03-04-2009, 11:36 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 201/See Ticker/152

Height: 5'8"

I am on day three, and so far so good. Something has changed in my life to give me the motivation I need to follow through with this plan.

Fast food is my weakness, which is silly because I feel like s%&* after eating it. But it is so good going down.

Wish me luck!
Old 03-04-2009, 11:55 AM   #12  

S/C/G: 314/314/160

Height: 5'7"

Steen,

This is my day 3 also. Good luck to you!

And I know what you mean about fast food. I love it but feel so crappy after eating it.
Old 03-04-2009, 12:41 PM   #13  

Hey all...

I am restarting AGAIN tomorrow. I have 150 lbs to lose..I cannot even believe it. Thankfully, I have no serious health issues (other than the weight, of course) that limit me. DH was recently diagnosed with diabetes, and has about 30 lbs to lose, so it will be great for both of us. I remember the first time I tried SBD, I did very well during Phase 1 and somehow I got off track in Phase 2. I'm not sure what went wrong, other than I heard/read so many conflicting things on HOW to add grains back in that I got confused and just gave up. Stupid, I know.

I'm looking forward to coming here for support and hopefully one day being one who can actually GIVE support.

Cj
Old 03-04-2009, 11:43 PM   #14  
Just Beachy...

S/C/G: 210/188/164 (mini goal)

Height: 5'6"

I restarted Ph 1 this week and BELIEVE that I am Day 3, possibly Day 4. I HATE when the days blur together and I cannot remember anything. Short-term goal is 30#, long-term goal is 60#...YIKES! My HUGE downfalls are 1) sweets, 2) breakfast, and 3) just sitting around and eating in front of the TV, when I actually have the time to watch TV (now I am trying to keep a tall glass of cold water or a bottle of lime seltzer nearby).

I have unsuccessfully attempted restarting Ph 1 several times recently (I was on it for 3 weeks in December). This time it seems to have stuck...YAY! My frame of mind if better. I gave up chocolate for Lent and for once I am actually doing well with this! Knock on wood, I am battling the temptations easily. I also have commited to a triathlon and NEED to keep up with my long-distance training partner. I will also say that I actually forgot how much FUN it is to try to find new recipes and tweaking what is out there to suit SBD. It has inspired me once again to become a more adventurous cook...used to be and lost her somewhere along the way. I am also taking the frame of mind that I am going to take my kids on this journey with us as it is a lifelong lifestyle change (DH is already on board)...I want them to try to focus less on halloween candy & process foods and more on healthy whole foods. They are already on the right track, as they somehow LIKE to eat raw red peppers and black beans & brown rice...YIPPEE!

I hope this healthy outlook STICKS!!

Last edited by 262mom2three; 03-04-2009 at 11:49 PM.
Old 03-05-2009, 10:33 AM   #15  

S/C/G: 199/194/150

Height: 5'7"

I'm new to SBD but of course not new to losing weight and regaining it.
My doctor tried it so she is the one that suggested it. It seems very doable and very simple to me. I got the book yesterday after my appointment with the doc from the library. My biggest downfall is usually too high sugar fruits like mango and pineapple and bread, pasta and chocolate. I'm a all or nothing kind of gal. I know my triggers but I don't know how to stay away from them. If I don't take that first bite I'm okay but I need to keep from taking that first bite. I'm counting on all of you to prevent me from that first bite. I know I can do it. My husband is not very supportive. My son is but he is away at college. Well I guess I have rambled on enough about myself.
Thanks for listening.
Closed Thread