Old 02-23-2009, 11:51 PM   #1  
Priscatip

Height: 5' 6"

Default Puppy killed a bunny!

My sweet little puppy has turned hard core killer. We took him to the park today where he likes to run and play while we play soccer. He normally just chases the rabbits! And he's so far away from them while he chases them! I never really thought he'd get one. And then today, he brought us a tiny dead bunny. I was so sad.

And of course, I know that he's a dog, and that we play with toys with him and shake them around, and that it's instinctual and that he's just doing what he does.

But it was a baby bunny! Ahh!

I made my boyfriend take it to the trash so I wouldn't have to deal.
Priscatip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 07:03 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 188/ticker/130

Height: 5'3"

That's quite normal behavior for a dog. Unforturnately its part of the natural chain of things.
GatorgalstuckinGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 11:30 AM   #3  
Priscatip

I know, I know. It was just... shocking. Bear's a man now, I suppose.

Thanks!
Old 02-24-2009, 11:39 AM   #4  
Operator265

I think we're kinda conditioned to expect a cat to bring us home a nice, little dead bird "present" cause, although we dearly love them, cats are indepent, "you ain't taming me" snots.

But, when our sweet, adorable, "I always love you, even when your feet really stink" pups do it, well, it's shocking.
Old 02-25-2009, 07:01 AM   #5  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

Yes, we have to keep reminding ourselves that our darling doggies are really domesticated wolves. "Nature, red in tooth and claw."
Ruthxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 03:40 AM   #6  
Peace. Love. Balance

S/C/G: 199/128/125 (new goal of 115)

Height: 5'3

I heard a loud blood curdling scream one time and went in to a panic, turns out our dog (Shep/Husky) had cornered a rabbit in our yard which resulted in it being caught and killed......I didn't know that rabbits could scream until then. Sasha (our dog) likes to hunt rabbits and attempts to bring them indoors. One time she brought a huge rabbit that was still barely breathing to the back door and wouldn't let go of it, only after bribing her with dog treats did she drop it, I ended up putting the poor thing out of it's misery, not something I enjoyed doing but, I felt it was necessary to put an end to the poor rabbits pain and suffering. I agree, it's very sad. I'm sure that won't be the last rabbit your boy kills....eeeyuck. But on a brighter side, at least hes smart and knows how to take care of himself should he ever have to :P

Last edited by bananapancakes; 03-03-2009 at 03:42 AM.
bananapancakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 06:23 AM   #7  
Strong is the new thin!

S/C/G: 178/152/close enough

Height: 5'9 1/2"

Awww, that's sad. I know it's nature but I would be upset if that happened to me too.
river is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 01:10 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 228/ticker/140

Height: 5'3"

That would be so traumatizing for me. I have a Netherland Dwarf rabbit and a Yorkie and I'm so glad they get along and play together (and nuzzle noses!). I hope one day his instincts don't kick in and Moses hurts/kills poor Mumble
gigantosaurus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 05:03 AM   #9  
Operator265

If they are anywhere near the same size, I'll put my money on the rabbit.

Saw a nature show once where an eagle swooped in and grabbed a rabbit, but, couldn't get back up fast enough. The cutr little hunny bunny twisted it's body and kicked the life outta the eagle.
Old 03-04-2009, 11:49 AM   #10  
Priscatip

Thanks for the similar stories! I haven't taken Bear back to that soccer field for fear of being a bunny serial killer mom. After I got over the shock though, I am kinda proud of him for actually pulling it off. I had doubted his speed before (my dad says that chows are like short boxy racecars, built for corners not for speed) but he raced that bunny down. Thanks guys!
Old 03-04-2009, 11:51 AM   #11  
Priscatip

Oh and gigantosaurus, I bet you're ok since they are both about the same size. Bear is an 80 pound labrador chow, so he towers over the bunnies.
Old 03-05-2009, 06:57 AM   #12  
Operator265

Oh Gosh. I didn't mean for that to come off that way. I assumed most realize a rabiit wouldn't attack. So, your pets are safe. Sorry, I can be an idiot sometimes.(or often).
Old 03-05-2009, 09:30 AM   #13  
Priscatip

I think we understood! No idiocy! Gigantasaurus was hoping that her little dog and bunny would remain friends, and the dog wouldn't attack out of nowhere some day. That's amazing about the rabbit and eagle - I would never have thought a rabbit could fight back!

Bear has made friends with a little dog next door and broke down the fence so he could come over and play. So that answers my question about whether he would be vicious to all little guys now.
Old 03-14-2009, 02:47 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 221/210/160

Height: 5'8"

When I was a teenager I had a large flop eared rabbit that ruled the house over 2 other dogs-- a border collie and a lahsa. Both dogs ran from the rabbit. The first time my collie tried to corner the rabbit, the bunny kicked the tar out of her and shredded her nose.
sharriannia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2009, 05:19 PM   #15  
Getting healthy!

S/C/G: 275/ticker/140

Height: 5'6"

yes, killing small creatures is in their nature. Especially with a Chowchow. They have high prey drives. And were bred as hunting dogs originally (but try telling that to the one that has taken up permanent residence on my parent's couch. lazy beast. )

My concern is the fact that if he was able to get a bunny, he had to have been off leash. If it was at a dog park, that's cool, but most places (including regular parks) have leash laws and him being off leash can lead to tons of problems. He could chase a rabbit/squirrel into traffic and get hit. He could knock down someone else's kid and you'd get blamed (and a Chow injuring a kid is not going to look good, regardless of who is at fault. Law enforcement could seize him and put him down). You could be cited/fined for him being off leash. he could be attacked by another dog and injured (yeah, I know, he's a Chow, and they tend to come off better in a fight, but still) and once again- he's a Chow and people are so biased that even if he was attacked, he'll be blamed and you would be in trouble.

Don't mean to be horribly negative and all lecture-y but I adore my Chow and have dealt with the prejudice towards them for a long time. It's not pretty and I'd hate for something to happen to him or you because he was off leash.

Best of luck with him.

~Onyx
enchantedonyx is offline   Reply With Quote