Weight Loss Surgery If you've had it, or are considering it, share your discussions here

Old 02-26-2009, 11:21 PM   #1  

S/C/G: (324/238/175) New 310/310/200

Height: 5'5"

Unhappy Terry's not so merry these days

I was hospitalized a couple of weeks ago with cellulitis-it was over the long weekend. I was on IV antibiotics and I went home with a PICC line for 2 weeks. During that whole process, my white blood count came back way high-28 when 11 is a high normal. So I underwent (is that a word?) some more tests and it turns out I have chronic myelogenous leukemia. I just found out today but I've been suspecting it for a few weeks once I started researching high white count. It's better that other kinds of leukemia in that there is a very effective treatment that can have you living long enough for something else to kill you.

Actually, the high WBC showed up during pre-surgery testing for my band but I wasn't going to make an issue of it because i didn't want my surgery delayed. Maybe that's why I had 2 case of bronchitis and 2 UTIs in the past year. I rarely had infections before.

So I'm pretty bummed because I've been working hard to get healthy and make good food choices and everything and then I get hit with all this. I had to go out and get a couple of prescriptions and I bought a couple of no-nos. but ****, according to the drs. scale today, I lost 5 pounds last week.

And it's looking like I some more cellulitis, despite the IV meds I've been doing faithfully.

I know it could be worse, but this is as bad as it's been for me ever. At least it's not related to being obese. The leukemia, anyway. I guess I'll get used to it and it'll just be one more pill to take.
merryterry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 12:04 AM   #2  

Height: 5'9"

I'm sorry you're going through such a rough time. I can't even imagine. It will only make you stronger in the end. Keep your head up no matter what, you have all of us at 3FC if and when you need us...

Last edited by luvja; 02-27-2009 at 12:04 AM.
luvja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 12:44 AM   #3  
not bad for a 47 yr Nana!

Ohhhhhh Terry

Honey, I'm sorry you are going through this very crappy thing! Wow...your sadness comes through the screen....will it be a hard fight? What have the drs told you about treatment? Has to be a way to fight this...I will hold you in my thoughts and send you all my positive energy and the Biggest Cyber Hug!

Much love,

Angela

Last edited by missangelaks; 02-27-2009 at 12:47 AM.
missangelaks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 05:05 AM   #4  
I got my DS done 4-26-10

S/C/G: 463.1/273/170

Height: 5' 5 1/2

this makes me realize that things could be worse for me, there are times it is hard to imagine but there it is.
I wish you all the luck in getting better and dont worry about a few small no-nos at this time, you know what is enough and I am sure you will take care of yourself.
Please do take care of yourself
HUGS
SpookyXXL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 10:00 AM   #5  
Old Cackler

TERRY!!!! what a shock!!!!! so glad you told us - and that there's a good treatment for this. keep us posted - and TAKE CARE OF YOURSELF!!!!!!
jiffypop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 12:09 PM   #6  

S/C/G: SW308/CW159/GW170

Height: 5'7"

Ah Merry Terry! Dang it! I wish I could just give you the biggest hug right now! Ditto to what JIffy said! I know that this is kind of a moot issue right now, but you are doing so well on your weight loss, and that will work in your favor not being obese and treatments. I holding you close to my heart and praying for intervention and really smart doctor's decisions.
nanj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 12:26 PM   #7  
not bad for a 47 yr Nana!

Oh I missed the "very effective treatment" thing...I was too upset I suppose. Still...sorry you have to go through this honey!

Angela

Last edited by missangelaks; 02-27-2009 at 12:26 PM.
missangelaks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 07:27 PM   #8  
Excited about my new life

S/C/G: 348/256/190

Height: 5'8"

Merry I am so sorry to hear your recent news. Just think that you have started already adopting a healthy life style which will propel your healing. You are in my prayers and I hope that you remain :Merry". God bless you and I know that you will come out on top.
worthylady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 10:07 PM   #9  

I have not posted here before but you caught my attention.I am sooooooo sorry.I am a PICC nurse and would be glad to give you any advice if you have trouble.PM me.Hang in there.The statistics with CML are very encouraging.HUGS!!!!
harrismm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 11:16 PM   #10  

Default Thank you for your kindness

I appreciate your responses, prayers and well-wishes. It was a very trying week. to make it worse, I lost a filling yesterday on a tooth that is mostly fillings. And when my students were at gym yesterday, I was indulging in a good old-fashioned crying jag in my classroom at my desk, when a student walks in-she's been taking a make-up test and finished. Geese louise.

But what we thought might be more cellulitis turns out to be superficial blood clots-so that's good news-I think. We're trying to treat it with heat and ibuprophen. I'll do anything to avoid coumidin-been there done that no fun don't wanna go back.
Old 03-01-2009, 07:49 PM   #11  
Sports Goddess

S/C/G: 265/120.2

Height: 5'4"

Hope you're feeling better, Terry.
AAAA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 04:31 PM   #12  
Hanging in the Heartland

S/C/G: 470/220/170

Height: 5"8"

Terry I am so sorry to hear your news. I had a cancer diagnosis 4 1/2 years ago. You are never the same after that. Ever. But I can honestly say that my life is better brighter and more real after surviving that dianosis. My thoughts and prayers are with you.

Denise M aka activeadventurer
activeadventurer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 09:26 PM   #13  

Unhappy

thanks for your response, Active. I'm getting some good support from DH and DS and a friend at work, but they don't KNOW, having never been there. I've been really struggling with my emotions lately. Everybody says be happy and all that but I just ain't there yet. I hope someday soon, but for now it just sucks.
And all my other non-cancer health issues keep piling up and extending themselves. I'm feeling beat up and worn out. Plus I gained 9 pounds in less than a week and I don't know how! I never gained that much when I was at my worst.
Old 03-06-2009, 11:18 PM   #14  
Hanging in the Heartland

S/C/G: 470/220/170

Height: 5"8"

Terry,

I agree with people in your other thread that the weight gain is probaly due to the medication you are taking and/or edema. I wouldn't be worried about it unless your doctor thinks it is contraindicated.

I can honestly say I became very depressed after my diagnosis. It just felt like way too much to handle and really unfair. Counseling really helped for me and talking to my doctor who told me it is a very typical response to a cancer diagnosis ws reassuring. I changed oncologists twice until I found one I realy liked. You would have to be pretty out of it not to be depressed and/or really ****ed off about having to deal with cancer. My thoughts are really with you. And kudos to those loved ones and posters supporting you.

Last edited by activeadventurer; 03-06-2009 at 11:20 PM.
activeadventurer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 07:40 AM   #15  

Height: 5'6"

Hi Terry,
I'm so sorry about what you are having to go through .
My thoughts and prayers will be with you and I'm sending lots of healing vibes your way.
Stay strong, take good care of yourself and know that you have lots of people on the forum that care!
Carla
dutchgirl is offline   Reply With Quote