Old 03-01-2009, 04:58 PM   #1  

Default Public Accountability

Pardon the bandwidth, but I have been trying since the beginning of the year to start getting up and going to work out first thing. A few years back, I got up every weekday morning and did 45 minutes of cardio and 30 minutes of weights and it was a great way to set the tone for the day. But I hit a series of roadblocks and got out of the habit.

So, I will get up tomorrow morning, and every morning this week, and go to the Y and do my workout. And come back and post it here.

Ideas on how to make this a little easier much appreciated. Every evening I lay out my workout clothes, set my alarm and get up at 4:30 a.m. And every morning, I let myself off, for one reason or another. Some days I'm just mad that I have to do this, when "no one" else has to work this hard to lose weight or don't want to face this new Y -- they are so unfriendly -- or think I'm just going to fail this time, too or feel like I'm giving myself a break when no one else is at the moment. Seems reasonable at the time and by Wednesday, I just intend on starting the next week. And here I am again.

Thanks,

Barb
Keillynsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 06:23 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 280/256/234

Height: 5ft 2inches

You can totally do it because you are worth it. And you will feel so good all day long and when you get to the Y you will find you are not the only person working this hard. Come on rejoin the ranks of the early morning workout crew.

here are my tips. When the alarm goes off get right up. No Snoozing. Sleep in your workout cloths. Have good music on your cd player or mp3 player and in the car to get you out of bed and to the gym. You can do this. You will do this. I am looking forward to reading your success tommorow. (sorry about my spelling I do not know how to check it before posting) **** I am inspired i think i will join you with an AM workout myself 5 rather than 3 days this week!
5aday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 06:48 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 162/152/122

Height: 5'7"

I just had a wee one and think that I will be in the same situation soon- I certainly do not want my workouts to affect the time I spend with my little one, so I think early a.m. may be the way to go. Perhaps just thinking that it is time for you to be selfish will work.
sunspell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 07:00 PM   #4  

You don't have to work out at a gym in order to work out. Maybe give yourself another alternative that you can do at home? I was in a GREAT habit with working out UNTIL I signed up at a gym. It changed me mentally to think I *had* to go there or I couldn't work out. Not true. I can put on upbeat music and dance- and I mean like I used to when I was young and a dancer (only if no one can see me though!) I can do video tapes at home. When the weather is better, I can ride my bike outside or walk.

Maybe part of the problem is the extra effort of going to a physical place to exercise? I love the Turbo Jam or The Firm work out series and would recommend them as a great home workout. Maybe you could squeeze in a home workout in the evenings or get up a little bit later but still do them in the mornings.

My point is that there are multiple options for exercise. Maybe you'll be more excited about some of those and want to try them? It may or may not work for you but it is something to consider.
bindersbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 11:13 AM   #5  
Trying so hard....

S/C/G: 298/298/145

Height: 5'7"

I have been doing totally the exact thing. Im not losing weight anymore after losing 30 lbs, and I think that no exercising is why. For some reason, I always find a reason not to get up and go. We are paying for a gym membership that we havent use in a year! There always something....either my clothes arent clean, my legs arent shaved, I dont feel good, cant get out of bed, Its always something and Im sick of it!!!!!! Im gonna go walking again today at lunch. Ive been really really down about not losing and even binged last night for the first time in a really long time.

I HAVE TO MAKE THIS EXERCISE HAPPEN, AND SO DO YOU! hEE hEE
MugCanDoIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 11:55 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 254/242/199first

Height: 5'6"

Why not switch the time? Go in on your way home from work...
I used to spend 2+hours in the gym 6d a week...Then I had a baby (2y now) I now find the best time for me is on the 2 days a week I work I stop at the gym on the way home. If I go home 1st I wont go back out.
lonegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 12:30 PM   #7  

Height: 5' 8" on a good day

I don't have the money or time to do the gym workout thing away from home.

I use free weights at home in the evening after dinner.
susiemartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 12:34 PM   #8  

Made it up and over to the Y -- but still had the exact same argument and was sorely tempted to just lay back down. BUT -- 45 minutes on treadmill and 30 minutes on lower body exercises. So, one day down, four more to go.

Early a.m. is about the only time I can make free for myself -- after work just gets in the way spending time with my girls and getting them where they need to go -- right now, with my husband's ankle broken -- I'm the only driver and have to get every one, including him, to school, to work, to classes. And it does set a good tone for the day -- after you've done the work, why blow it by eating off plan? It seems like most people work out then though -- it's always crowded. And I'm very aware I'm kind of "married" to this workout plan. Got to work on that.

Saday -- I'd love to have some Jillian Michael's mp3s -- she gave her team last season a particularly good lecture on having to give Biggest Loser effort to see Biggest Loser results! That'd be something to wake up to!

Bindersbee -- I'll have to see if I can do that -- I have lots of DVDs but not really the space to do anymore than the yoga ones. I'm not confident I'd work out at hard.

Lonegirl -- wow - 12 hours in the gym a week!

Mug -- you can do it, too!

Barb

Last edited by Keillynsmom; 03-02-2009 at 12:35 PM.
Old 03-02-2009, 06:14 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 265/211/130

Height: 5'6"

Congratulations on going to the Y this morning. You inspired me to get up and work out also...at home, but still got in half my workout before work.
WildThings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 07:01 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 280/256/234

Height: 5ft 2inches

Congratz on making it happen today. The weather got the best of me today but I am in the south so it is mostly melted. I will be out and walking tommorow first thing, before work or anything else can get me off track.

I get MP3s downloaded from amazon for 89 to 99 cents a song. I also do podcast for free from public radio because I work on Saturday I missed my favorite talk shows.

You did one day, lets make it TWO in a row!
5aday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 07:34 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 275H/148/165ish

Height: 5'10-5'11

I had/have the same struggle with getting up early. I hate mornings! So, my solution..... work out at work. My employer let me get a treadmill desk (you can google it or look for it on Good Morning America). At first everyone in the office thought I could not do it..... and I don't walk for 8 hours a day..... but I do walk hard enough to break a sweat for 3 hours (broken up into workable increments).

It started out b/c I was having back pain when sitting for so long.... then my son tempted fate and bet me I could not do it. The rest is history. I am not done losing, and I slacked off a little at Christmas, but I picked it back up. I work for a doctor and he brings patients in there all the time to show them.

I am not stopping with that though....... I am going to do kettlenetics every time I get a chance to tone up for my wedding.

Tammy
ladyrider72472 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 07:43 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 290/See Ticker/150

Height: 5ft 4 inches

Congrats on going to the Y!

I have 4 boys, 9, 6 barely 3 and 7 months. I was trying to workout at home but found too many other things that needed to be done. (Like the never ending laundry or what not.)

I INSISTED that we took $300 out of our small tax return and join our new recreation center. We've been members for almost a week. I've taken the boys swimming a few times and I used the incredible workout area once. I would have gone more but may little ones are really pretty sick. (They are going to the doctors tomorrow.) Anyway, my point was, I go to the gym AFTER all the boys are in bed. My husband is home, they are in bed and I can steal away for one hour. They never even know I am not there. That makes my life SO much easier. No guilt, no babysitters...nada. Is that something you could do if the mornings don't work out?

I still try to dance around at home with them, and when it stops being a subarctic frozen wasteland around here, we will go outside too, but I find I am actually looking forward to my exercise time. I can listen to my music, watch tv and I just discovered I can download tv shows, movies and even BOOKS onto my iPod! Holy cow! I can workout and "read" a book for a whole hour knowing the boys are asleep with NO guilt. Its like a miracle! ROFLMAO!
irishsarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 08:28 PM   #13  

S/C/G: HW/232 SW 215/ CW 133/GW 120's

Height: 5.7 and 1/2

I don't feel guilty at all taking care of myself. Honestly, I have had more energy for my children (school activities, at home projects, having friends over, the FULL ON deal) since I began this. It is the most precious gift I could have given to them or to myself. I spent years in the whole "I must be the best mom, the best nurturer, the best house cleaner, the best and the list goes on. I declared NO MORE. I was a great example of a person spinning their wheels fast and going nowhere.

I usually run at 5:30 or 6 every morning. There are days there is ice early morning or hubby is not home or whatever that I am forced to Plan B. Again with no guilt, I make it happen.

My advice wpuld be to just make yourself do it. I see of course you did "JUST MAKE YOURSELF DO IT" so congrats! You will soon find it will become part of the day that is unequivocally one of your favorite.

Last edited by Thighs Be Gone; 03-02-2009 at 08:31 PM.
Thighs Be Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 08:30 PM   #14  

S/C/G: HW/232 SW 215/ CW 133/GW 120's

Height: 5.7 and 1/2

Quote:
Originally Posted by susiemartin View Post
I don't have the money or time to do the gym workout thing away from home.

I use free weights at home in the evening after dinner.
Susie I agree here. I run (the street is always there and so are my shoes) and I do 30DS and my new favorite, "Back to Bollywood." They are both Free on Demand.
Thighs Be Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 12:10 PM   #15  

I didn't go in this morning -- but I have figured out how to make up most of the workout throughout the day. I really have to figure out why. When I was going regularly, I *almost* got the point where it felt good, a point of pride that I could get my a$$ out of bed at 4:30 a.m. and do something about the problem. Now I feel like a mule or some kid throwing a fit.

thanks,

Barb