South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Old 03-01-2009, 12:25 PM   #1  
Vegan.whole.foodie.

S/C/G: hw252 csw220/???/160

Height: 5'7.5 ;)

Default Whats your favorite curry recipe?

Thought I would post here since more people look here

SO, I was hoping to make a curry recipe- and i have never made any curry before so I was hoping to get your fave recipes I saw several in the recipe section but though this would be the easiest way to find the best!
I was hoping to use chic peas but I could be flexible!

Thanks in advance!
rdw1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 12:49 PM   #2  
Working on healthy

Height: 5'5.5

I often add chick peas to this, sub other greens for the spinach and generally just use the basic details and improvise Of course today it's crockpot vegetable curry - every veggie in the house with diced tomatoes, curry powder, a chopped jalapeno & ginger.

Eggplant Spinach Curry
1/4 cup oil
1 teaspoon black mustard seeds
12 garlic cloves, minced
2 pounds spinach, finely chopped
1 medium eggplant, cut into 1" cubes
1 piece ginger root (1-inch), peeled and
-- grated
1/4 tablespoon jalapeno chiles, minced
1/4 teaspoon tumeric powder
1/4 teaspoon paprika
1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
2 medium tomatoes, finely chopped
salt
cilantro sprigs, for garnish

Heat the oil with half of the mustard seeds in a large saucepan. Add remaining mustard seeds when the cooked seeds begin to pop. Add the garlic and saute until tender. Add the spinach, a small amount at a time, stirring occasionally to keep the spinach from scorching. When the spinach wilts, add the eggplant, ginger, jalapeno chiles, tumeric, paprika, coriander, and cumin.

Saute to blend the flavors. Cover, and cook over medium-low heat for 15 minutes. Add the tomatoes and season to taste with salt. Cook, uncovered, 5 minutes longer. Garnish with cilantro. Source: Dhaba Cuisine of India restaurant - Santa Monica, California : Best Recipes from the Los Angeles Times
CyndiM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 01:05 PM   #3  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

I've never been able to find a from-scratch curry recipe I like (I can't get the spices right on my own), but the Maggi brand (it's a subsidary of Nestle and you can find it in many grocery stores, and in ethnic groceries) of jarred pastes are really good. I've tried the tikka masala paste and the biryani paste (each jar came with half a dozen recipes in a little folder in the lid). I thought that the jar made one recipe, but you only use a couple tablespoons of the paste in the recipes. I made chicken tikka masala, and vegetable biryani one night. Hubby loves bryani (sort of resembles fried rice, only it's not fried, but more of a stove top casserole).

Last edited by kaplods; 03-01-2009 at 01:06 PM.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 02:30 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 186/147/135

Height: 5'1"

Here's one of my favorites; in fact I'm making it for dinner today.

Satyamma's Famous Cauliflower Curry

2 med. potatoes (I use sweet potatoes or just omit completely), cut into small chunks

1/2 cup shredded unsweetened coconut
1 Tbs. mustard seed
3 medium cloves garlic, peeled
1 1/2 Tbs. minced ginger
1/2 cup lightly toasted peanuts
1 tsp. tumeric
1/2 tsp. allspice
2 Tbs. toasted cumin seeds
2 Tbs. toasted sesame seeds
1/4 tsp. cayenne
1/2 cup water (or more, as needed)

1 - 2 Tbs. peanut oil
1 1/2 cups chopped onion
1 tsp. salt
1 large head cauliflower, cut in 1" pieces
1 medium carrot, thinly sliced
1 cup cooked chickpeas
3 - 4 Tbs. lemon juice

Boil the potatoes until just tender. Drain and set aside.
Place the next 11 ingredients in a blender and puree until fairly mixed. Add extra water, as needed, to form a soft, workable paste.
Heath the oil in a large, deep skillet or Dutch oven, and add onion and salt. Saute for 5 minutes over medium heat, then add cauliflower and carrot and mix well. Cook, covered, over low heat until the cauliflower is tender, stirring every few minutes. Add more water, if necessary, to prevent sticking.
Add the cooked otatoes, chickpeas, and lemon juice, and cook a few more minutes. Taste to adjust salt, and serve hot, with rice and condiments.
cottagebythesea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 12:58 PM   #5  
Feelin good in my skin

Height: 5'9"

Here's my favorite Curry Recipe:

Pumpkin Curry Soup

3 tablespoons butter (I've substitued Olive Oil)
1 cup finely chopped onion, (1 small)
1 clove garlic, finely chopped
1 teaspoon curry powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon ground coriander*
1/8 teaspoon crushed red pepper
3 cups water
3 teaspoons chicken base or 3 bouillon cubes
1 (15-ounce) can LIBBY'S® 100% Pure Pumpkin, (1 3/4 cups)
1 cup half-and-half (I've substituted FF half-and-half)
Melt butter in large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add onion and garlic; cook for 3 to 5 minutes or until tender. Stir in curry powder, salt, coriander and crushed red pepper; cook for 1 minute. Add water and bouillon; bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low; cook, stirring occasionally, for 15 to 20 minutes to develop flavors. Stir in pumpkin and half-and-half; cook for 5 minutes or until heated through.
Transfer mixture to food processor or blender (in batches, if necessary); cover. Blend until creamy. Serve warm or reheat to desired temperature. Garnish with dollop of sour cream and chives.
Makes 4 servings.

Preparation Tip: Soup may be prepared the day ahead. Cool to room temperature after adding pumpkin and half-and-half. Cover and refrigerate. Just before serving, blend then reheat to serving temperature, but do not boil.
Marathon Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 01:02 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 223/223/175

Height: 5'8"

This is so simple, it is shameful, but it has become a staple in my diet since starting SBD:

Grill several diced shallots in olive oil. Add one rounded tablespoon of Curry Paste, mix well. Add one can of chick peas, including liquid and heat over medium until most of the liquid has been disolved.

This makes a great side dish, or you can add some chicken or shrimp for a protein boost. Also, add more variety of vegetables to your sautee to kick up the veggie boost.

This is filling - just had a serving with my lunch!
Celtic24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 01:09 PM   #7  
Vegan.whole.foodie.

So, I didn't realize when I decided to make these recipes that I have curry powder- is that just a mixture of some of the spices you guys have told me to put in the recipes? I really do cook a lot, not sure why I haven't cooked with curry much, I think I am not a huge fan of it though...lol but I need something different!
Old 03-02-2009, 01:15 PM   #8  
beachin'

S/C/G: 240/125/130

Height: 5'8

What kind of curry are you interested in, Rikki? There are big differences in the flavors of curries associated with different countries - Indian curry tastes completely different than Thai curry, for example.
zeffryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 01:19 PM   #9  
Vegan.whole.foodie.

I guess I am not sure- I just have some curry powder and wanted to use some chic peas.... Im open for any suggestions

Last edited by rdw1; 03-02-2009 at 01:19 PM.
Old 03-02-2009, 01:28 PM   #10  

S/C/G: HW/232 SW 215/ CW 133/GW 120's

Height: 5.7 and 1/2

I stir-fry chicken and onions first and carrots first--amounts as desired.

Then I mix 1-2 Tbs. cornstarch (for thickening) with skim milk, turn on my burner and melt in 8oz. of fat-free cream cheese--add curry powder as you like over medium heat....once you get the right consistency, add the chicken and onions and carrots....

SERIOUS YUM and pretty healthy too. Mmmmm, some crave chinese buffet but I seriously miss the Indian buffet. This gives me a little taste of "home."

I don't use curry "paste" at 12g of fat for 2 Tbs. I know you don't need much but I cut everyway I can and the curry powder does it for us.

Last edited by Thighs Be Gone; 03-02-2009 at 01:32 PM.
Thighs Be Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 07:53 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 223/223/175

Height: 5'8"

The curry powder works in my recipe, instead of paste- same directions. Go light on the curry, if you are not sure if you like it.
Celtic24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 07:59 PM   #12  
beachin'

S/C/G: 240/125/130

Height: 5'8

Rikki, you're probably going to be more comfortable with an indian curry, then.

I have a great recipe for a chickpea daal that you would really enjoy. The recipe says not to use canned chickpeas, but I've been in a pinch before and used them with great success.

http://www.recipezaar.com/Chickpea-Daal-Indian-24351
zeffryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 09:38 PM   #13  
Working on healthy

Height: 5'5.5

Rikki - Curry powder is a spice blend, like chili powder. I've made my own in the past but found one I love at the co-op. Indian curry isn't even one spice blend, it varies based on region. That's why different recipes have different combinations of spices. If you have a powder you like go ahead and use that for now. You can experiment as you go along Recently I discovered garam masala, a curry spice blend that includes cinnamon and allspice. Yum
CyndiM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 11:33 PM   #14  
Vegan.whole.foodie.

Thanks I am going to make an attempt tomorrow for lunch... not sure what dh would think of it so I am going to do a trial run on myself for lunch while he is at work!!! lol... I'll let yall know how it goes!
Old 03-03-2009, 03:28 PM   #15  
back to balance

Height: 5'7"

Hey there, I'm not on SBD but a huge curry fan, and one of my favorite, quick, no-brainer, I'm-all-out-of-fresh-produce standbys involves chickpeas, so here goes:

- sautee some finely minced garlic and ginger (add onions if you want)
- add 1 can chickpeas (rinsed), heat for some minutes
- add 1 can diced tomatoes
- add 1 pack defrosted spinach or fresh spinach
- heat well, add salt, chili flakes or paste, curry powder or paste, a pinch of garam masala if you have it, cilantro if you like it
- turn off heat and drizzle with some roasted sesame oil
Heffalump is offline   Reply With Quote