Weight and Resistance Training Boost weight loss, and look great!

Old 02-27-2009, 06:46 PM   #1  
No description available.

Default The First Lady's Muscles

http://www.cnn.com/2009/HEALTH/02/26...rms/index.html

A nice little article about strength training, inspired by Michelle Obama's arms.

Strong women rock!
midwife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 08:07 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 266 / 179 / 165

Height: 5'7"

I just saw her official First Lady portrait that was taken today. She's gorgeous and I think she greatly reflects the focus on fitness of women today in their 40's. Of course, she's got a great body type, long and lean (I read she's 5'10" I think?) so she carries any outfit well, but yes, read also that she and Mr. B wake at 5:30 every morning and hit the White House gym. I notice she is wearing sleeveless outfits every time I see her these days, even tho it's freezing, but maybe her muscular metabolism makes her hot!

http://www.whitehouse.gov/administra...ichelle_obama/

Last edited by sportmom; 02-27-2009 at 10:00 PM.
sportmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 08:31 PM   #3  
Workin' It

I think she is just gorgeous... I loved that purple dress she wore during the address on Tuesday. I really like the fact that she is fashion conscious and fitness conscious - it sets a great example for the rest of us!
Shannon in ATL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 09:20 PM   #4  
~~Maintainer!~~

S/C/G: 346/186/186

Height: 5' 9"

What a great article! I saw her on a magazine cover earlier today while in the checkout line and was admiring her arms then. Very nice!
jtammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 09:47 PM   #5  
Maintaining :)

S/C/G: 215/117/120

Height: 5'4"

Great article! Thanks for posting it
Working on upper body strength is definitely my goal right now. My bat wings need to fly away!!!
CountingDown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 07:05 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 270/157/160

I like that CNN has picked someone to hold up as an example of fitness that actually has a bit of muscle on there frame and not the typical Hollywood stick figure who gives the impression that "definition" means starving themselves to the point where they can see the bone and beef jerky like strands of puny muscle under the skin.

I also liked how they stressed the importance of strength training.

However, they are still perpetuating the "muscle tone" myth with there continuous use of the "T" word in the article. Muscle tone refers to a state of passive partial contraction and, with the exception of its role in posture, has nothing to do with appearance. There is no "toning" There is building and/or maintaining muscle mass while reducing body fat. The longer that the word is in the mainstream, the longer we have people do 50 rep sets of pink dumbell curls and tricep kickbacks instead of doing what builds and/or maintains muscle.

I swear that they used "tone" enough times that if Photochick read that article, she has either had a stroke or has taken hostages at this time.
Depalma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 09:48 AM   #7  
ddc
getting back to 140

S/C/G: 155/154.2/140

I don't see why some people here get so worked up over using the word "toned" muscles.
I even heard Jillian Michaels say it the other day on a short video I found online.
I think it's perfectly fine to say that you want a tight, toned body. It is in the dictionary, you know. But so is the word "ain't".

Yes, the first lady does have nice arms
ddc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 10:09 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 270/157/160

I didn't know I was getting "so worked up." As I explained, I think the misuse of the term is perpetuating misconceptions when it comes to proper strength training and body recomposition. Not a rant, not "worked up," just an observation.

As to the fact, that it is now common for words to become accepted in the dictionary if enough people misuse them long enough, well I won't comment on that, because that MIGHT become a rant if I did.
Depalma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 10:42 AM   #9  
ddc
getting back to 140

S/C/G: 155/154.2/140

Sorry, I didn't mean to offend, but I have read these posts before and they do sound like rants to me.

How is it a misuse of the term??

From dictionary.com:
28. tone up, a. to give a higher or stronger tone to.
b. to gain or cause to gain in tone or strength: toning up little-used muscles.

I just think it's common verbage to use the word tone to refer to muscles.
I am currectly reading the book Power Moves by Marco Borges and he even uses the word. He appears to be a strong and muscular guy.
ddc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 11:46 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 266 / 179 / 165

i think the sensitivity, at least in this forum, comes from the overexposure we get here with new people regularly coming in and asking for guidance about how to get started with weights. "I only want to TONE, not build bulk or get all muscular," is a common theme that seems to be repeated often. It's just a hot topic or button for people here who are the ones who frequently have to relay the news that building muscle is ok, bulking is not possible, and to have more goals than "just toning." So, it's a recurring theme here that is a trigger word I think.

Usage: incorrect -> "I'm off to a session to tone my muscles this afternoon."

preferred -> "I'm off to my lifting session this afternoon."

( I'm being totally tongue in cheek, please don't bring me down, I'm really happy after my run this morning.... )

Last edited by sportmom; 02-28-2009 at 11:48 AM.
sportmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 11:56 AM   #11  
Let's do this!

S/C/G: 210/149/140

Height: 5'6.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddc View Post
I don't see why some people here get so worked up over using the word "toned" muscles.
I even heard Jillian Michaels say it the other day on a short video I found online.
I think it's perfectly fine to say that you want a tight, toned body. It is in the dictionary, you know. But so is the word "ain't".

Yes, the first lady does have nice arms
I never understood this either, but Sportmom makes sense. I use the word toned all the time and find nothing wrong with it. I think people tend to associate it with "toned, but not bulky" which just infuriates lifters. I have to "lift" to get "toned" and yet women use the word as though it's the exception to lifting.

I don't think that made much sense I would describe her as toned, though

I LOVE Michelle Obama and I love her arms. I see her as a beautiful, strong, confident woman and her physique and AWESOME style compliment that image well.
junebug41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 12:06 PM   #12  

Quote:
i think the sensitivity, at least in this forum, comes from the overexposure we get here with new people regularly coming in and asking for guidance about how to get started with weights. "I only want to TONE, not build bulk or get all muscular,"
It's the lifting equivalent of "jogging." Runners talk about running slow or running easy but we do not use the J word, ever: If both feet are off the ground at the same time, you're running and if not, you're walking. There is no in-between.

I think a lot of it is that women are socialized to minimize, no pun intended, their athletic or phyiscal accomplishments. So we, especially when we're new to it and maybe feeling a bit out of place still, tone and jog where men doing the exact same thing are lifting and running.
MariaMaria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 12:11 PM   #13  
lovethetruth

S/C/G: 138/138/132

Height: 5'2

Default she is fabulous

I admire her body she is a lady to look up to
32smasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 12:49 PM   #14  
Kallos Sthenos

S/C/G: 188/127/120

Height: 5'3''

Okay. I have to come out of my studying stupor to comment on this one.

Toning obviously has a "cultural" meaning to many people who seek/admire muscle definition coupled with lower bodyfat. It also is a scientific term used by professionals and amatures who study exercise science/kinesiology. The two are not used in the same way.

A little insight into the world of those who study the body and it's movements: they are sticklers for correct usage of term/form/function. It's a science. And just like any other professional group, they can feel a little miffed when common culture reinterprets or changes the meaning of a word for convenience of their own use.

I know what people are most commonly referring to when they use the word toning. However, in my opinion, the incorrect usage of the word immediately sets the expectation of this persons knowledge base/exposure to developing strength fitness. Kind of like "who they read, what they study, at what level, and who they interact with.

Here's the deal. Why it really frustrates me...deconditioned and sedentary children and are adults are at all time high. We have a serious problem in this country and I do believe that people really are trying to look for some answers. Unfortunately, you have to dig through a lot of crap to find them. I am certain that if I were working full time in a different field I would have never been able to devote the amount of time that I have to find consistencies in diet and exercise that have led me to make significant lifestyle changes in my body. Even today I can read/see something that is given as advice to the general pop and think "wow, if that was all the information I had and I was going to give all my efforts toward my goals on just this piece of knowledge I would endlessly be spinning my wheels and feel like a failure."

~sigh~ The thing is, people need uncomplicated and correct answers. They need the WHOLE PICTURE. It's difficult enough to implement these lifestyle changes. But to have some ninny telling people that you need to lift a light weight like a bird flapping their wings for 50 reps a side would have discouraged even the most dedicated of beginners. Can't you just hear them in the video chanting the words "lets tone those triceps now.." I can. That's why we grimace at the word. It often goes hand in hand with the incorrect application of what it takes to build those beautifully defined muscles so many people are seeking from the "experts."

Toning: The word that immediately lets me know who I'm dealing with before they ever pick up a dumb bell. I'll excuse it if it's someone new with earnest in learning. I'll give you the eyebrow if you supposedly know a little somethin' something.

And yes, Michelle's arms are beautiful. Honestly, it made me so happy to see her also embrace and be and example of fitness. Especially as a woman in her 40's : Love those role models!
Lydia227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 01:10 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 300/ticker/ONEDERLAND!

Height: 5'9

Quote:
Originally Posted by MariaMaria View Post
It's the lifting equivalent of "jogging." Runners talk about running slow or running easy but we do not use the J word, ever: If both feet are off the ground at the same time, you're running and if not, you're walking. There is no in-between.

I think a lot of it is that women are socialized to minimize, no pun intended, their athletic or phyiscal accomplishments. So we, especially when we're new to it and maybe feeling a bit out of place still, tone and jog where men doing the exact same thing are lifting and running.
I never thought of it that way! "lifting" sounds better than "toning" Haha.
heather88 is offline   Reply With Quote