Old 02-26-2009, 11:32 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 323/300/150

Height: 5'4"

Question Hunger vs. Digestion

Do you now, or have you ever had this problem:

After I eat, I feel hungry. Except that over time, I have learned that I am not actually hungry, I am digesting my food. The problem is that they feel EXACTLY the same.

This started when I had to take prednisone for two years, and my appetite went out of control (and of course, I gained weight). I have never felt quite normal since then.

Has anyone else experienced this? If so, how do you deal with it?
Woserit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 01:23 AM   #2  
NEVER EVER going back

S/C/G: 377/240's/150

Height: 5 feet 5 inches

I don't have that problem but I feel really bad for you that you do! That would bite! At least you know what it is though and can adjust accordingly.
cfmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 11:09 AM   #3  

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfmama View Post
I don't have that problem but I feel really bad for you that you do! That would bite! At least you know what it is though and can adjust accordingly.
Wow, I am looking at your stats and you have had great success thus far. Congratulations!
Old 02-27-2009, 11:21 AM   #4  
Girl Gone Strong

S/C/G: (H)247/(C)159/(Goal)142-138

Height: 5'3"

YES! You have described one of my issues exactly.

I notice it after lunch in particular. I always have a fairly substantial lunch -- an enormous salad, always with some form of protein added (beans & nuts, tuna, chicken, tofu), and often with a cup of a clear vegetable soup on the side. I finish eating at about 12:30. Around 2:30, I've been feeling what seems like hunger pains. But they're not. They really can't be. When I feel real hunger around 4 PM, I know it's the real thing.

Same thing sometimes after dinner. Just before I go to bed, there's a sensation in my stomach. It makes me fret. I can't stand going to bed hungry. I also hate waking up in the middle of the night feeling hungry. These are both unbearable situations for me & I do anything to avoid them.

The only way I know to tell the two sensations in my stomach apart is to wait. The digestive feelings go away after a while. The hunger doesn't -- it escalates. Also I start feeling other symptoms that I associate with a slight drop in blood sugar.
saef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 11:35 AM   #5  

Height: 5ft6'

I have the same problem as well. I try to eat 6 times a day. 3 small meals and 3 healthy snacks. But regardless of what I eat i start to feel that hunger pain within the hour. I never thought it was digestion tho I just always figured it was because my tummy is used to stuffing itself non stop and it would eventualy adjust to normal amounts of food. Maybe I was wrong. Good to know.
TraceyElaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 08:46 AM   #6  

It is good to know that I am not alone. It really is the strangest thing.

saef - I know what you mean about waking up in the middle of night feeling hungry. It makes it hard for me to get back to sleep, and I have to struggle not to go eat something although if I do, it is usually an apple. Don't know if that is the best thing or not. Probably not because of the sugar.
Old 02-28-2009, 08:50 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 252/250/150

Height: 5'6"

Hello- After reading this post I was more conscious of my body during the day and the same thing happens to me. It was pretty inspiring to be able to stop and rationalize what was happening. I also have discovered that some of the time when I think I am hungry, I am actually thirsty.
Macomom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 08:58 AM   #8  

I read somewhere that often people are actually thirsty when they think they are hungry so this is great that you figured that out yourself. I know it is true for me.
Old 02-28-2009, 09:33 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 254/242/199first

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woserit View Post
I read somewhere that often people are actually thirsty when they think they are hungry so this is great that you figured that out yourself. I know it is true for me.
I will second that! The best thing to do if you feel hungry but ate not long ago....have a glass of water and wait 10 min. Are you still hungry?
lonegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 09:35 AM   #10  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

If you have pain or discomfort in your upper abdomen an hour after eating, it could be a sign of gallbladder trouble. Also, having pain during the night like this could also be gallbladder.

If it's persistent, then you might ask your doctor.

Jay
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 12:30 PM   #11  
NEVER EVER going back

S/C/G: 377/240's/150

Height: 5 feet 5 inches

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woserit View Post
Wow, I am looking at your stats and you have had great success thus far. Congratulations!
Thank you very much!!!
cfmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 04:48 AM   #12  

hmmm I never thought about it before. but I wonder if I could have the same problem..
lalique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 10:09 AM   #13  

I have a similar issue - I think maybe it is one of the contributing factors to my binging? Like, I know I just ate a reasonable amount but I feel hungry anyway.

Right now I am trying to ignore it at first for a certain amount of time (10 minutes, until the dishes are washed, or whatever) and if I still feel bothered I eat raw veggies or fruit. I have mixed success, so I am definitely open to more suggestions.

I have trouble getting in enough water too, so I will try to increase that next.

My son wanted my words to be red he's helping me post.
meganbee is offline   Reply With Quote