Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 02-27-2009, 09:20 AM   #1  
RMS
Rebecca

S/C/G: 275/275/<199

Height: 5'3"

Default Would you like to run a marathon someday?

Hi there! I have a wonderful dream of being able to run a mini-marathon next year. I've never done one and probably haven't even been running since I was in college. I'm turning 40 in November and would like to join my sister and SIL when they do their mini-marathons. They don't know it yet. I guess I'm afraid if I say it, I'll have to stick to it. If I don't tell them, I don't have to be embarrassed if I fail. Anyway, I have a lot of work to do and was hoping we could encourage each other. I'd love to be your accountability person and cyber butt kicker. Thanks for reading.

~Rebecca
RMS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 09:50 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 245/ticker/150

Height: 5' 11"

Ooo.. I would love to run a marathon one day. I have lots of 10km races under my belt, but is aiming for my first full marathon at the beginning of next year. That will give me about 11 months to get fit. YEA!!

What is a mini marathon?

Last edited by Findmyself; 02-27-2009 at 09:51 AM.
Findmyself is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 10:07 AM   #3  
Recovering Pantry Pest

S/C/G: 174.5/162/149

Height: 5'7"

Not a marathon - I really tried running (for 5 years) and never got into it. However ... I've found some open-water swimming events that would take at least as long to train for, and finish - and I'm starting "small" by swimming a mile in a meet at the end of March!
ICUwishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 10:52 AM   #4  
Back in Action

S/C/G: 213/197/140

Height: 5'6"

Not me. I don't like to run. Matter of fact it kills my knees, ankles and boobs...even with the best sports bra. I rather walk, swim, climb, or bike...excercise where I don't jiggle. lol
Lori Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 10:53 AM   #5  
MBN

S/C/G: 150/G:finding the happy me

Height: 5'2"

Usually, the term "mini-marathon" refers to a half marathon event -- 13.1 miles. One example is the Indianapolis Mini-Marathon, held in May every year. I supposed it could be used for other distances too, but that's the way I've seen it.

IMO, the half-marathon distance is accessible to most people in generally good health, given sufficient motivation and training. Don't get caught in the trap of thinking you have to "run" the whole thing or nothing, LOTS of people walk/run the event or simply walk it. More and more distance events are walker-friendly, keeping the race course open long enough for walkers to have all of the support resources (water stops, closed course) and timed finish. And you get the same finisher's medal (and sense of accomplishment) regardless of how long it takes to get there!

I've done one full marathon, and about 8 or 9 half marathons (I have to go count my medals) :-) I don't have any burning desire to do another FULL marathon, but I love the half marathon distance. It's long enough to be a challenge to train for and complete, but not so far that it just really beats you up. The full marathon is a very significant physical and mental challenge, and I'd highly recommend doing at least one half before committing to doing a full.

No matter what you decide, I find having events to train for completely changes my attitude toward exercise. I'm not just working out, I'm "training". It keeps me on track and motivated toward a goal.

Anyway, that's my 2 cents ... (and I'm running another half marathon on Sunday!)
MBN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 11:02 AM   #6  
RMS
Rebecca

S/C/G: 275/275/<199

Yes, something small is what I'm aiming for. There's a 5K in May. There's no way to do it this year but I'd like to do it next year. Personally, I need to reduce quite a bit before getting in training mode. I'm lucky, though, as my next door neighbor is a runner. I hope she'll give me some tips when I get to that point.

Good luck on your marathon, MBN. Thanks for the all the feedback from everyone.

~R
RMS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 11:08 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 270/209/170

Height: 5ft 7

Oh my goodness yes! I had never run in my entire life, then suddenly when my son was born 7 months ago it became my dream. Im not even close to as experienced as you ladies. When I started 4 months ago I could only go 30 seconds and now I can do 5km. I would LOVE to be able to run a half marathon, but I have a little more work to get there since I have no experience (but Im working on it!)
erinmagill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 11:34 AM   #8  
Girl Gone Strong

S/C/G: (H)247/(C)159/(Goal)142-138

I thought I was going to turn into a runner last year. But I live in the middle of a city & I run on pavement, and this turned out to be very hard on my feet & legs. I discovered quickly that I've got major problems with arthritis in the joint of my left big toe. My stride changed to accomodate this & I developed plantar fascitis in the tendon of my left foot. I got a foot doctor. I paid for orthotics. Finally, I acknowledged that I need to spend most of my time on machines in a gym, which are kinder to me & my physical limitations. My long-time weight problem seems to have done some damage that isn't reversible, no matter how healthily I live. That breaks my heart. I did run a 5K last summer, mostly after reading all the encouraging things on this board, but it took me about 43 minutes & my foot really gave me problems afterward.

So ... I wish ... but I'm going to become a gym rat & perhaps a swimmer instead.
saef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 11:46 AM   #9  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

I plan to run a half marathon sometime in the future but we'll see. I have to stop being lazy for one thing
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 12:00 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 170/143/125

Height: 5'4"

YES! I've run some 5ks in the past and have been telling myself for the past year or two that I'm going to start running again and it just hasn't happened yet. I need to get on that!

ps. RMS, I was so excited to see you are from Lancaster!! That's where I grew up and my family still lives there. =)
iriswhispers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 01:43 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 140/111/103

Height: 5'1

YES! I want to sooo badly. At first I was thinking I'd stick to the half marathon distance but now I'm leaning towards the full. I started running in November and can already nearly do the half marathon distance pretty easily. I'm going to attempt a full marathon in September, I figure I'll have more time to train over the summer since I won't be in school and it'll be nicer outside. If not this year then for sure next year.
sm177 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 01:57 PM   #12  
No description available.

I've run 2 half marathons and I agree with MBN. It is a very doable distance and lots of people take walk breaks. I am considering a full marathon, but the time that long training runs would take me (training runs work up to approx 20 miles) is a barrier. The local ones are in the fall and my weekends in the fall are booked solid.

So for now I'll stick with 5Ks and half marathons.

Consider joining our 3FC 5Ks, Rebecca. You don't have to run them, you can do them however you please.

I think it is a good goal to work toward. Get some excellent shoes.
midwife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 02:23 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 197/135/?

Height: 5'7"

I don't have any burning desire to ever do a full marathon (alhough you never know!), but I do want to do a half someday.
JulieJ08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 02:43 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 203.8/190.4/150

Height: 5'5"

I would love to run a marathon! I have never been able to run though, even in my skinnier days I would have difficulty. I would lose my breath so fast I'd think I was dying. I know the pain in my legs would be from not being in shape but being as winded as I was was embarassing!!

I think it's a great goal to have! GOOD LUCK!
Mandylyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 03:12 PM   #15  
Workin' It

I'm not thinking I'll ever want to run an entire marathon, but I really want to do a half... I started running back in January and really enjoy it.
Shannon in ATL is offline   Reply With Quote