Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 02-23-2009, 11:51 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 200/190/165

Height: 5'9

Default Self esteem vs. weight survey...

Self esteem vs. weight survey...

On a scale of 1 to 10, how do you rate your self esteem - how you think of yourself, how many times a day you say to self I'm fat, etc... vs how many times you really say hey I'm ok overweight or not... so 1 is I am really MEAN to myself and 10 is I'm quite fine, I LIKE myself, thank you very much, overweight or not.

On a scale of 1 to 10 how overweight are you? Say 1 is just a tad bit, an 10 is obese...

I'm reading a book by a famous shrink and she claims that most weight gain is related to self esteem - if we like and love ourselves the weight wouldn't be there? So let's test that theory in this survey.

Me, I'm likely a 5 in self esteem, and a 7 in overweight, meaning 20 lbs or so to lose, more like 30 if I want to really be thinner.

Last edited by horsey; 02-23-2009 at 11:54 PM.
horsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 12:01 AM   #2  
Captain Prescriptivism

S/C/G: 235/180/135

Height: 5'3"

3 on the self esteem, 4 or 5 on the overweight, I think. (Right now I'm about 35 pounds overweight).
ImpalaHoarder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 12:29 AM   #3  
aka Sarah

S/C/G: 289/193/159

Height: 5'7"

10 self-esteem, 10 overweight. For me, there's never been any relation between my self-esteem and my weight gain; very simply, I have a chemical addiction to sugar and when it's uncontrolled I gain weight.
WarMaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 12:31 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 255/see ticker/160

Height: 5'7"

Probably a 3 and a 10.
Leeesa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 12:41 AM   #5  

probably a 1 and a 5.Sad.....I no.
harrismm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 01:02 AM   #6  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarMaiden View Post
10 self-esteem, 10 overweight. For me, there's never been any relation between my self-esteem and my weight gain; very simply, I have a chemical addiction to sugar and when it's uncontrolled I gain weight.
Ditto. When I was younger, my self-esteem took a battering occasionally, but it was mostly directly a result of experiencing abuse from other people about my weight or because I thought I was "supposed to" feel crappy about myself for being fat (though I never quite understood why I was supposed to feel like crap for being unable to control my appetite, despite being an honors student, being generous, caring, creative and funny and having a decent number of friends). I guess I always felt that all the good stuff about me cancelled out my one major flaw, and I never quite understood why I felt that so few people seemed to feel that way. It was like people were shocked at my confidence and enjoyment at life - I felt like an oddball for not disliking myself (but I embraced odditude rather than choosing to listen to social convention and hate myself).

I think even at my lowest, I didn't feel very bad about myself, nearly much as I felt self-conscious. I guess I felt like there were a lot of fat rules I was supposed to follow, and I never quite knew what the rules were. Or, I'd recognize a rule, but ignore it (and feel weird that I was breaking the rule, like I'd done something illegal or something). Like swimming - I've always loved it, far too much to ever follow the well-known rule that overweight girls should never, never allow themselves to be seen in a swimming suit (and if they MUST swim, they should wear a black swimdress that nearly reaches the knees, ideally with a t-shirt over the top). I've owned two black swimming suits in my life, and I hated them both. All of my other suits were brightly colored - flashy even. Buying plus sized swimsuits with style and color, especially when you're beyond a size 26 is not an easy feat. They're out there, but you've got to do a lot of searching and you're going to pay through the nose. The first time I spent nearly $100 on a swim suit, I felt nauseous - but I loved that suit. It was a pretty green and purple floral suit with matching sarong coverup skirt. I know that my image of myself did not match the reality, but I felt gorgeous in that suit (I am really glad I don't have pictures of myself in that suit).
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 03:11 AM   #7  
Happy Plodder

S/C/G: 238/158.9/138

Height: 5'2"

10 for weight
6 for self-esteem, average. When I remember how much I've still to lose (75lbs) it sometimes goes down to 1 but when I remember that I'm doing b. marvellous with the weightloss, it goes up to 8.
Rosinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 04:35 AM   #8  
Constant Vigilance

S/C/G: 150/132/<130

Height: just under 5'4"

9 or a 10 for self-esteem, probably a 1 on weight.

But even when my weight was a problem, when I had 30 lbs to lose, my self-esteem was still a 9 or 10. Like Kaplods, I never felt like my weight detracted from who I was as a person. I was self-conscious about it, but I still felt good about myself.

My self-esteem is far more closely connected to my professional success. As I've grown professionally and become more accomplished and recognized in my field, my self-esteem has improved dramatically, to the point where I am now very confident about myself.

I can see where having low self-esteem might lead to weight gain, but I don't think that necessarily means that the opposite is true--that having high self-esteem leads to a healthy lifestyle and weight.
BlueToBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 06:42 AM   #9  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

I am and always have been close to a 10 on self esteem. As for weight--well, it's been stated a little vaguely. I guess I'm about a 4 at this point.

I think we could make a distinction between those who overeat because they feel less-than others, and those who overeat because they like food and/or don't realize how much they are taking in. I was in the second group.

Jay
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 07:44 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 295/225/back to Onederland

Height: 5'5"

Even at my highest weight I had high self-esteem about ME. Not about my weight, maybe, but I had a strong sense of my self-worth.
Heather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 08:47 AM   #11  
Here We Go Again

S/C/G: 256 / TICKER / 140

I am a 2-3 in self-esteem, even though there are days I could feel like an 7 or an 8. And I'm about a 7 in weight loss. I have another 60lbs to go, but I'm not morbidly obese with 200+lbs to lose.
WormwoodDoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 09:48 AM   #12  

S/C/G: 253/ticker/175

Height: 5'6"

For self-esteem I am (and have always been) a 10 (or may an 11 ). The weight thing is harder to judge. Based on what everyone else has said I guess I would be around 6 (22lbs to lose), but I would say I was around 3 or 4.

As for the theory we are testing.......my excess of self esteem actually made it easier for me to gain weight, because I don't really give a rat's *ahem* about how/what other people feel/think/say about me. When I was happy eating and being fat, that is where I was. When I decided to lose weight for myself......well you can see how I've done.
MonteCristo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 09:51 AM   #13  

S/C/G: HW/232 SW 215/ CW 133/GW 120's

Height: 5.7 and 1/2

Self-esteem I am probably a 6. Weight wise I am a 2 or 3.
Thighs Be Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 10:02 AM   #14  

I would say 2 for self estem and a 8 for overweight ? I am like 50 pounds over I would say
MichelleARFC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 10:02 AM   #15  
Working my way back

S/C/G: 185/150

Height: 5'5

i'm a 0 on the overweight. i'm not actually overweight but still losing that last couple to get to my goal which is nice and comfy in my normal range.

as far as the self esteem i'm a 9. i'm a happy happy person and usually pretty kind to myself... but i AM still a girl and you know, b****es are b****es. hahaha
corazonas is offline   Reply With Quote