Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 02-22-2009, 03:43 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 197/197/150

Height: 5'7

Unhappy Sick

Since Thursday I have been feeling pretty awful, all over pain, chills, fever, nausea, vomiting, coughing, nose running, and the worst sore throat I've ever had. Needless to say I have not been worried about what I eat, if I could even eat (seriously sore throat). As the days passed the sore throat got worse and worse finally breaking me down today in tears because I didn't even want to swallow. There aren't any quick cares (over an hour away) around here so I begrudgingly went to the emergency room at 5 this morning. I got diagnosed as having Viral Pharangitis and possibly even step throat (the test came back negative, but the doctor said that it could still be positive).

Now my questions, while I was given pain meds for the throat pain it only makes it bearable and not completely go away; what can I eat thats still healthy, but doesn't feel like razors going down. I need something more than soup now too.

Secondly, I know it doesn't matter, but I like to keep track of everything I eat on the daily plate. Well I ate ice cream yesterday to soothe my throat and threw it back up like 5 minutes later...should I record it?

If anyone else has had this and knows any way to make the pain go away at least a little bit more please let me know. I've tried salt water gargles, every drop and OTC that I could find. Also, I've tried gatorade and ginger ale.

Sorry, if this doesn't make much sense I am currently on hydrocodone Thanks for the help
WVUFan86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 04:51 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 221/173.5/165(for now)

Height: 5'8"

Well, WVUFan, it sounds like you're a hurtin' pup! I am sorry you're so sick - sounds just yucky, all the way around! As far as keeping track of your calories, you can try, but I really wouldn't bother for now - focus on getting rest and getting better. When my throat has been that sore, soup, popsicles (no dairy - it makes it worse, I think), herb teas, would be accepted...in the grand scheme of things, having low calories for time you're sick won't offset your progress. Try small amounts of things like dry toast dipped in broth, a bit of scrambled egg, some rice - with your stomach acting up, don't push it. A little bit at a time, and keep your fluids up with teas, soups and such. Some honey mixed into the teas will help sooth the soreness, and perhaps a squeeze of lemon.

Hope you're feeling better soon, get plenty of rest, and keep the fluids coming - being dehydrated will just complicate things.
judipurple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 06:28 PM   #3  

Judi- thanks for the suggestions. Dairy is out of the question because I'm slightly allergic (I was desperate for cold thats why I ate it lol...I'm weak)
What kind of teas are good?

Tvalle - That smoothie does sound yummy! thanks for the recipe
Old 02-22-2009, 07:13 PM   #4  
Potential Energy

Height: 5'7.5"

Oh no. I'm sorry your sick WVUFan. I hope you feel better soon.

I second that tea with honey and lemon. Even warm water with a juice from a half a lemon and honey is good.

I think smoothies are a good ideas as well since they are made with fruit and ice. I think you can even freeze them and make them into popsicles.

Don't worry too much about your diet. You are not eating a whole lot to really make a difference. Just focus on getting well. Hugs
ArwenTaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 10:24 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 170/Ticker/124-126

Height: 5'3"

I had the same Sickness for 4 days straight! sooo glad i got over it , it was really horrible! Hang in there
jahjah1223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 10:58 PM   #6  

Meltdown about boyfriend over. He knows I'm starving after throwing up all of my food last night and eating nothin but crackers and soup so he offered to get me subway on his lunch break and bring it back to me. Not only that he's getting me a regular sandwich with just turkey and a wrap with turkey in case I can't handle the bread. He apologized profusely for leaving me up with the puppies. He laid down to get warm and never woke up HA! I can understand that

Last edited by WVUFan86; 02-23-2009 at 08:58 AM.
Old 02-23-2009, 12:29 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 152/129/120

Height: 5'3"

When I have a sore throat I like ice chips. They're very soothing and don't upset the stomach. They also help keep you hydrated. Make yourself a small glass or bowl and then just put a spoonful in your mouth and let them melt or suck on them if that doesn't irritate your throat. Don't chew them. Hope you feel better real soon.
Cantrip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 08:38 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 345/282/200

Height: 5'8"

get some Cloraseptic throat spray and gargle with it. It will numb your throat somewhat.

Also when I have a sore throat I like to get those 10 calorie Jello paks and put them in the freezer until they are very, very cold (not frozen solid though) and eat them that way! Is it very soothing to the throat and I can keep it down when I am sick not like anything dairy.

Aslo those sugar free popcicles are good too and very low calories and again very soothing to the throat!

hope you feel better soon!
flatiron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 08:53 AM   #9  

Flatiron- that's why I went to the ER i tried cloreseptic spray, lozenges, and then I went back and got the max spray and none of it even began to numb my throat. It said on the box too that if it didn't work after two days to seek immediate attention and so I did. I was worried when that stuff didn't work bc it usually does. Surprisingly, even the hydrocodone that I'm on doesn't even numb my throat it just makes the pain slightly more bearable. It's really weird.

ETA: That's why I'm not taking the hydrocodone today at all. I don't feel a need to take a painkiller that strong if all it's going to do is slightly lessen the pain.

Last edited by WVUFan86; 02-23-2009 at 09:01 AM.
Old 02-23-2009, 09:02 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 320/ticker/125

Height: 5'1"

What you're going through really sucks! I hope you start feeling better soon!
(I like the frozen smoothie Popsicle idea YUM!)
Amber1011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 09:07 AM   #11  

Amber- Thanks I appreciate that! I felt so bad taking off work today because I have so much I need to do, but I can't talk and infecting my clients would not be good so I guess it's better. Just feel guilty