Old 02-17-2009, 03:58 PM   #1  
Mistakes Don't Define Me

S/C/G: 328.6/272.0/160

Height: 5'7"

Default Need to just get it out...

Just wanted to get some things off my head and let the addiction go, and quit letting it win by hiding it...

I have never been 'clinically' diagnosed or anything but i know that i have a problem! It was not uncommon for me to go through a drive thu and order 2, and on occasion 3 meals (because if you order 3 drinks it looks to them like your getting it for 3 people not just yourself) and eat them all....or to order 2 pizzas and have them eaten by the next morning, or to get up in the middle of the night and eat that nights left overs because i couldnt stop thinking about them sitting in the fridge. I was rarely hungry when i ate, i ate soley because i was bored or lonely usually....i have grasped this issue in the past few months and can say with great satisfaction that i have not had any binges in the last 3 months, but the thought is and will probably always be there, this group has helped me SO much to realize that i am not a 'freak' there is a reason for this, and most of all i am not alone....so thank you for sharing your stories and making this just that much easier for everyone here!!

UglyFatFriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 04:05 PM   #2  
I can...and I will...

S/C/G: 202/196/160

Height: 5'6"

Binge eating isn't a problem for me but I lived with one for 15 years. My brother does the same thing. It used to amaze me how the food would disappear out of the fridge overnight? But unlike you, he still does it. And honestly, if he lives past 45 it will be a miracle. He is seriously obese and has developed diabetes. So - you go girl! Let it out if you need to but you are on the right track for creating a healthy life for yourself!
Buckeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 04:49 PM   #3  

S/C/G: HW 176/SW 163/CW ticker/GW 120

Height: 5'4"

wow. way to go! i admit it is a daily struggle for me as well. i don't know exactly what drives the compulsion, but the pull of food, and certain foods in particular, is as strong as the pull i've ever felt from cigarettes and certain illegal drugs of the white powdery variety that i won't mention by name.
sws19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 05:01 PM   #4  
this time it's for real

S/C/G: 201/159/135

Height: 5'2"

I have definitely ordered multiple drinks to disguise from the teenage drive thru worker that I will be eating three burgers. I have also ordered my food "to go" at a restaurant so that it looks like I'm taking all that food home to feed a small army instead of to the parking lot to eat it in my car. (Not THAT parking lot though, a different parking lot farther away where there is no chance of anyone recognizing me).

You're not alone. I thought I was, and I'm slowly realizing that I'm not either.
macky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 05:37 PM   #5  
Red Team Member

S/C/G: 207.5/179/140

Height: 5'6

Congrats on 3months binge free...today is day 1 for me I'm hoping to make it through today! I told myself I have to start somewhere. I wish the thoughts would go away with the binges, but they always seem to be not far away....that really annoys me. I have to say though I think 90% of it for me is mental.....I honestly am my own worst enemy! Your doing great though...thanks for sharing your story. Hopefully I can come on in 3 months with good news like yours, but for today I'm just hoping to get through day 1
Tina30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 05:40 PM   #6  
Mistakes Don't Define Me

Thanks girls, i didnt do it on my own, i have been 'creeping' this group and posts similar to mine for the last 3 months so i owe it to all of you guys!! I think people really underestimate the food addiction, it really is as bad as alcohol or drugs, i think!
Old 02-17-2009, 05:51 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 214/Ticker/130

Height: 5' 5.5", age 59

I've never been into drugs, but I do have a problem with alcohol, and it is by far easier for me to give up alcohol than it is food. With alcohol, I can just cut it out totally and put it out of my mind. I'm so fortunate I've never smoked, because I know I have a problem of addicitve personality. But food cravings are so hard to turn off once they are there, and you can never totally put food out of your mind.

I really wish there wasn't so much advertising of fast foods. I think fast food ads should be illegal, just like cigarette ads are. They probably will be some day, as this obesity epidemic hits us harder all the time with medical costs that the whole population ends up paying for.
recidivist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 05:57 PM   #8  
Mistakes Don't Define Me

Yeah this is very true, you can live your life 100% drug or alcohol free, but you NEED food to live. I am by no means saying drug or alcohol addictions are easier, because they aren't! I just think its harder to recognize a food addiction.
Old 02-17-2009, 06:40 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 240/150

Height: 5'8

Well i dont goo and eat at night or anything ..but my brother sure does!..he`ll take 4 cookies..eat them and then 4 more two hours later..and shockingly does not gain a pound...i had him say mean things too me like"ur a pig" "whale"and what hurts it was in front of my friends(somewhat friends)!..he just gets on my nerves..and then if some1 else says something hes lke "who said that" and is like ready too tear there heads off" yet he says it!..but anyways..KEEP goin Girl:-) hug
nikaylabramwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 09:50 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 300/ticker/ONEDERLAND!

Height: 5'9

Quote:
I really wish there wasn't so much advertising of fast foods. I think fast food ads should be illegal, just like cigarette ads are. They probably will be some day, as this obesity epidemic hits us harder all the time with medical costs that the whole population ends up paying for.
I totally agree.

I saw a mcdonalds commercial that made me so sad. It was a slightly overweight guy stretching for a mini marathon and across the street was a thin lady eating a big mac or a quarter-pounder and he stops and just stares at it while the commercial continues on.

It was basically saying that you can either run a marathon or eat a burger at mcdonalds. I was so mad, because that burger looked good despite everything I hated about the commercial!
heather88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 11:22 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 214/Ticker/130

Height: 5' 5.5", age 59

Don't get me started on Taco Bell ads for "Fourth Meal". Like bingers need any encouragement to go out in the middle of the night for an additional meal. Like this country isn't fat enough already on three meals a day.

Last edited by recidivist; 02-17-2009 at 11:26 PM.
recidivist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 11:49 AM   #12  
Mistakes Don't Define Me

Yeah, fast foods ad's are horrible! Occasionally I have to change the channel when they come on because it looks SO good lol. What is with the Fast Food places staying open 24hours a day?? like recidivist said, who needs extra encouragement to mid night binge? Even their 'healthy' options arent that great! I saw on Oprah i think that Arby's chedder cheese smotherd roast beef 'burger' is actually almost half the calories as their "market fresh turkey and swiss sandwhich' .... why the need to 'trick' people like that?
Old 02-18-2009, 06:29 PM   #13  

I have not been to an OA meeting but have began to read the OA books I ordered at Amazon.It has really helped me.I never believed I would be doing a 12 step program but I had to try something!!!Good luck.Hang in there.
harrismm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 06:39 PM   #14  
Registered Nut

S/C/G: 325/325/150

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by recidivist View Post
Don't get me started on Taco Bell ads for "Fourth Meal". Like bingers need any encouragement to go out in the middle of the night for an additional meal. Like this country isn't fat enough already on three meals a day.
Yes! The FOURTHMEAL slogan really irks me too!! So BAD!!!!!!!
RN BSN 2009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 10:16 PM   #15  

RN BSN-Nice to meet another RN BSN!!Hate to say it but this profession has definately not helped my eating issues.LOL!!
harrismm is offline   Reply With Quote