Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 02-17-2009, 11:25 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 250/197/150

Height: 5'5"

Unhappy Broke my toe! Need some tips...

Hi everyone! It's been a while since I posted and I haven't made any significant losses since I was around last. I haven't had internet access at my new place until today. Anyway ...

Friday I was coming home from a movie and it had snowed, so I took my shoes off in the hallway and proceeded to shake my feet since I was covered in snow. Well, I full on kicked the door frame and broke one of my toes! My doctor wants me to stay off it as much as possible, and it is quite painful! But I don't want to stop trying with regard to losing weight

Any suggestions about how to keep myself from boredom eating? I am noticing more and more that my eating isn't always emotionally attached...I eat when I'm bored! (never realized it before!) Also, any exercises you can think of where I could be laying in bed to do them? I am in all kinds of pain when my foot isn't elevated for more than around a half hour, so I have to keep it elevated as much as possible! Thanks in advance for any advice you guys have!
caniwasteurtime2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 12:17 PM   #2  
wishin' for sun!

S/C/G: 260/see slider/135

Height: 5'1"

So sorry about the broken toe. I know how painful that can be-once one of my boys dropped a large flashlight on my foot and broke 2 toes!

Thinking about keeping your foot elevated brought to mind the old-fashioned leg lifts and upside-down "bicycle". Also, sit-ups and crunches can be done with the foot on a pillow. If you have some small weights (or cans of soup or veggies), do some arm curls and stuff like that. As far as boredom eating, I'm guilty of the same thing! Read a good book or have someone get you some magazines to kill time. If you really want to snack, make it a healthy one-fruit or raw veggies or whole-grain granola bars. And, of course, there's always HGTVbut mute the commercials about food! It won't be too long before that toe feels better and I'm sure you'll get lots more good advice on how to pass the time from others here. Take care!
ronni62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 12:24 PM   #3  
Keep on Keepin' ON

S/C/G: 190/179/150

Height: 5'3"

:hugs: Injuries are so frustrating!

As for eating...keep your hands busy! For me that is the best way to avoid eating when I'm bored. If you don't know how to sew, knit, or crochet those are really ways to keep your hands busy AND they are incredibly practical things to know! It is hard to eat when you are 15 stitches into a scarf...you are too busy holding on! Also, this may sound dorky but I have found that computer games keep me too busy and involved to eat. If I am playing a good RPG or something I can get so involved that I go for hours without even thinking about snacking.

Any lying down exercises, definitely bicycle crunches.

Best of luck honey.
All the love,
Sidheag
Sidheag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 01:37 PM   #4  
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

Height: 5' 8"

Ouch!

You can do all kinds of things lying down - leg lifts, bicycles, arm exercises...get creative!

In terms of getting rid of boredom, I find you really need something to tie up your hands. I always knit hats. They're fairly quick, so I don't feel like I have to start a BIG project, but occupy my fingers. I usually give them as gifts or donate them to the homeless shelter (I make beanie-type basic knit hats).
mandalinn82 is offline   Reply With Quote