Old 02-16-2009, 03:57 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 273/260.1/163

Height: 5'7"

Default Need a kick in the bum!

I have been having a pretty big pity party over here lately.. and I need to stop. About 2-3 weeks ago I started getting a pain in my left side, it's been pretty horrible actually. I can't sleep, eating is depressing, sometimes it gets worse, and sometimes better. Tonight its bad. I went to the doctor who said it was a bladder infection, I am trying to trust him, but it's not getting much better. So anyways, thats what's going on, but what I am wondering is.. do I continue to exercise and count my calories? I've been using the pain as an excuse to eat bad most days.. And is it bad to exercise when you aren't sleeping? I know it might be over 6 months before I'm fully healed, so I feel like I don't want to give up on the momentum I have going now.. but on the other hand, how can my body heal from the workouts when I am getting very little sleep? I have to wonder if I will be doing more hard than good. Advice please!!

-Aimee
SwimGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 07:09 AM   #2  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

Hey! I assume your doctor has given you antibiotics for the bladder infection--but I would suggest that you see a kidney doctor if the pain is this severe. You could have a kidney stone. This happened to me.

You need to get this pain resolved before you worry about exercise. If you need a referral, go to your doctor and get it. He's probably assuming that everything is fine now, because you haven't told him otherwise.

Jay
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 08:23 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 280/256/234

Height: 5ft 2inches

I second Jay's advice. Even if you can not exersize keep counting your calories. Listen to your body and give it good fuel. I hope you are able to resolve this pain soon. I would send you a hug but i can not figure out how to do all of those graphics in a post. Maybe (())
5aday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 11:35 AM   #4  
The Radiant One

S/C/G: 250/142/135

Height: 5'2"

I might lay off the exercise, but please do keep track of your eating. Eating poorly is not going to make your pain go away, and might actually make you feel worse just for the fact that you are eating icky food .

If you are on antibiotics for several days and don't feel better, I would call the doc again.
fiberlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 11:49 AM   #5  
started 1/28/08

Sorry you aren't feeling well.

Same as the others, I'd check back with your doc if it has been long enough that you would expect to feel better.

If you don't feel up to par, intense exercise probably doesn't make sense and you could get hurt. On the other hand, some very relaxed movement might make you feel better and help you sleep - gentle stretches, short walks, etc.

Eat good quality food - your body needs nutrients and energy to heal!

I've read that it's a good idea to eat more yogurt w/live cultures while on antibiotics . . . apparently the antibiotics kill good bacteria as well as bad, and the yogurt helps your body replace the good bacteria.

Hope you feel better soon.
Merksie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 12:57 PM   #6  
Kae
. * . * . * . * . * . * .

I can't say anything in regards to the exercise; your doc would know best there. However, I would say now it would be very important to fuel your body with healthy foods to help you heal from the inside out.
Kae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 01:22 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 265/132/150

Height: 5'5"

I hope you feel better soon!
H8cake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 01:39 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 262/See Ticker/135

Height: 5'6"

I am prone to kidney infections and bladder infections (like a few times a year) - normally within a few days of taking antibiotics I am feeling much better. If you are not - you need to get hold of your doctor.

Also, as Merksie suggested - eating yogurt to help replace the good bacteria - definitely a good idea. I also take Azo yeast tablets- that has made a world of difference for me.

Feel better soon!!!
Randi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 04:01 PM   #9  
returning to myself

get some SF cranberry juice and take it easy til the infection clears up. watch your food though.
iminhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 11:23 PM   #10  

Thanks everyone for the replies! After my 2 hours of sleep I decided that exercise is definitely not a smart choice. I will continue on with the calorie counting, and my boyfriend thinks a bland diet is in order. So for dinner a had a sandwich with no mustard, no cheese, just veggies and turkey breast. He's also making me give up coffee! Secretly I want to slap him, but I know he's right. I am off work on Thursday, so I think I'll see the doctor if the pain/discomfort hasn't gotten better.

Randi - have you ever had a bladder infection without any symptoms? Like I have none of the regular symptoms! Could be my in my kidney's, not too sure.

Also, definitely doing the tip on the yogurt! I was taking acidophillis, but I heard it can stop the antibiotic to work.

-Aimee
Old 02-16-2009, 11:30 PM   #11  
Sandy....

S/C/G: 270/207.8/155

Height: 5'5

I know it's hard to slow down and heal, but when you are up and moving again (exercising), you will drop some pounds just from the extra activity.

Hope you feel better soon.
mygritsconfessions is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 04:18 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 331 highest 308/see ticker/185

some food and beverage tips;

Good for bladder, kidneys and healing from infections; yogurt, lots of fluids, balanced menu (5 basic food groups), regular small meals

Bad for bladder, kidneys and healing from infections; caffine, decafinated coffee--even worse than the caffine itself, high sodium foods, artificial sweetners, depriving self of food or drink for more than 5 hours during the day, over doing it--workouts, not resting, emotional situations etc, alcohol and cigarettes

Be kind to yourself, you should get over this quickly, and then you will already have started some wonderful new habits of taking care of yourself that you can continue. Yeah for BF wanting to help you take care of yourself---but the mustard really wont hurt you at all! but the coffee is really hard on your kidneys (coming from a 1-2 pots a day girl!)
Redflame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 08:54 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 262/See Ticker/135

Aimee - Actually yes - I have had an infection without realizing it - normally - my back hurts and the doctor could not figure out why - she ending up deciding it was referred pain... I get a back ache anytime I have a bladder infection - strange - but there you go. Also - I never have the "burning sensation" that they always ask about and my doctor and I figured out it is because I drink an outrageous amount of water all the time and cranberry juice a couple of times a week.

Out of curiosity in your original post you mentioned that it would be six months before you were fully healed? Were you talking about the bladder infection or something else - because normally I am over it in a couple of weeks (once I am on the meds), that is even if I have a kidney infection and a bladder infection at the same time (which I have managed a few times).

I hope you are starting to feel better!

Last edited by Randi; 02-17-2009 at 08:55 PM.
Randi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 09:49 PM   #14  

Redflame - WOW! Love all the info Didn't know about the decaf, but I avoided all coffee today, and no tea either! The mustard really irritates my stomach, as soon as I have it I feel burning in my stomach. I definitely noticed my stomach getting worse when I didn't eat yesterday for 6 hours, never really thought it could be from that! Thank you!

Randi - Phew! My only symptom is my sore back, was worried maybe the dr was wrong. The only reason I said it could be 6 months to fully heal is because I started getting stomach pain around the same time. It's from taking ibuprofen (sometimes on an empty stomach! Ack! So bad!), it'll likely be 6 months before the is fully healed But I learned my lesson!

-Aimee