Depression and Weight Issues Have you been diagnosed with depression, are possibly on depression medication, and find it affects your weight loss efforts? Post here for support!

Old 02-14-2009, 04:46 PM   #1  
Chunky Dunker

S/C/G: 252.8/tick-tick-tickerrrr/215

Height: 5'6"

Default Switching from Effexor to Zoloft

Hi! I'm on day 2 of my switch from Effexor to Zoloft. Anyone ever been through this before? Any effects I should look forward to? I have GAD, which effexor has suppressed successfully, but it killed my sex drive and I gained 50 lbs in the process.
WakeMeForSummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2009, 04:03 PM   #2  
Snazzy Person. :]

S/C/G: 166/149/130

Height: 5'5"

Hmm... Effexor always worked for me. Prozac pretty much gave me turrets though. Couldn't stop twitching and randomly yelling and crap. But I don't think it was the medicine that made you gain weight.

But anyway, good luck! Switching medicine can always throw your brain off, so I would take it easy for a couple of days.
katie m a r i e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2009, 06:12 PM   #3  
On The Road Again

S/C/G: 330/see ticker/165

Height: 5'4

Going off Effexor can be pretty rough. If I even miss one dose of mine within 12 hours I'm extremely dizzy and sick. I've never gone off from it onto something else, though, so maybe the new medicine will make that transition easier for you.

And when I first started taking it, I actually lost weight because I almost completely lost my appetite, but after I'd been on it for awhile and started feeling good emotionally I started eating again and have gained probably 50 pounds since I was on it. I'm sure it wasn't all due to the Effexor, but i believe some of it was.

Good luck
Fungramma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2009, 07:04 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 283/207/180

Height: 5'4"

Effexor is nasty to go off. I felt like I was getting shocked all of the time!!! I had withdrawl for weeks. I was on Zoloft for Postpartum depression. It is also used to treat OCD. Have you thought about trying to go on wellbutrin? It has less of an effect on your sex drive. Good Luck, it will get better.
pinkcandylee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 07:19 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 207/201/135

Height: 5'2"

Default Effexor "Withdrawal"

I went off Effexor too. I have to say it was one of the worst experiences I've ever had medically. Got the brain shocks, felt like I had the flu. I had to take off time from work. Fortunately my supervisor had gone thru the same experience with her husband. She ended up taking him to the ER. HOWEVER, since you're coming off Effexor and going on Zoloft, the Zoloft will more than likely minimize these side effects. I've read the docs often use Prozac to wean patients off Effexor. BTW, I ended up going to a psychiatrist, and ended up on Paxil for GAD and depression along with Neurontin as a mood stabilizer. I put on weight initially, I think mostly because I lost the anxiety over being obese. I can laugh now. After five years, I'm beginning to lose weight again.

Personally, I have NO interest in ever getting off the Paxil. I remember life before Paxil, and I much prefer life with it.

Sending happy thoughts that your drug switch goes smoothly.

Keep us posted!
Janaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 09:53 AM   #6  
Getting my Halle bod! :)

Height: short stack

Hi I haven't switched before but this is my first time taking anitdepressants and I'm on zoloft/sertraline for my ocd type tendencies and depression. It's only been about a week and a half so it's too early to tell but so far I've just been a little nauseous. If you ever want to talk I'm here, I hope this medication works out for both of us!
butterflygurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 08:00 PM   #7  
Chunky Dunker

So far the switch has been tough but getting better-- I knew I was in for a rough one (I've been through the "skipped a dose brain shocks" before).. and the first few days were tough (My poor hubby..) but I'm feeling better now-- I've found taking a Xanax in the morning helps a bit.

Wellbutrin was never an option for me because I don't have depression, just Anxiety and Panic Disorder. Oh well. Here's hoping it's down hill (and down scale) from here ! :-)
Old 02-21-2009, 12:28 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 265/250/180

Height: 5'7

I made that switch before and it made me sick but what I found helped a lot was Benadryl allergy, the kind that dissolve on your tongue. It helped with the fuzziness in my head and the sick feeling in my stomach. Good luck!
artchickadee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 08:50 PM   #9  
Chunky Dunker

wow ! Benedryl? I will try it ! Are you happy on Zoloft now?
Old 02-27-2009, 10:02 PM   #10  
BOOM!

S/C/G: 176.6/130/130

Height: 5'2"

I did that switch years ago, the Effexor was making me really squirrly and forgetful and the 'wait it out' just didn't work so I was switched to Zoloft. I lost SO MUCH weight on Zoloft. It just absolutely killed my appetite and made me feel so good I WANTED to work out. I wasn't on the Effexor but for a month, and I kind of like the 'shocked' sensation I got probably because it was mild and didn't go on for long.

Then I lost my insurance, gained all the weight back and a year later got it again and started back on Zoloft but with no weight loss the second time. I am still on the Zoloft, it's been the only antidepressant to help me at all.

Funny how people react SO differently to things. Someone mentioned Paxil I remember trying that at one point and it REALLY messed me up. It made my ADD so bad I couldn't remember what I was doing literally second to second and it lowered my already low blood pressure so much I passed out in the shower!
prinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 02:22 PM   #11  
Waiting for summer

S/C/G: 255.5/248.5/190

Height: 5'10

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janaya View Post
I went off Effexor too. I have to say it was one of the worst experiences I've ever had medically. Got the brain shocks, felt like I had the flu. I had to take off time from work. Fortunately my supervisor had gone thru the same experience with her husband. She ended up taking him to the ER. HOWEVER, since you're coming off Effexor and going on Zoloft, the Zoloft will more than likely minimize these side effects. I've read the docs often use Prozac to wean patients off Effexor. BTW, I ended up going to a psychiatrist, and ended up on Paxil for GAD and depression along with Neurontin as a mood stabilizer. I put on weight initially, I think mostly because I lost the anxiety over being obese. I can laugh now. After five years, I'm beginning to lose weight again.

Personally, I have NO interest in ever getting off the Paxil. I remember life before Paxil, and I much prefer life with it.

Sending happy thoughts that your drug switch goes smoothly.

Keep us posted!
YOU SAID BRAIN SHOCKS...WHAT ARE THEY?? I thought I was the only person in the world to get them...is that when you feel your brain like "pulsing" after you dont take your meds?
aaneri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009, 05:41 PM   #12  
Less chow for more wow!

I was on Zoloft postpartum, then a few years later Prozac - did not work - then on nothing for a few years, but the dysthymia came back with a vengeance and had to go on Effexor XR. It has been a lifesaver (literally) but am up to 150 mg. After reading this thread I did an internet search on Effexor withdraw. I hope I don't have to go off of it. Yikes! Some days I think I could go off of it and be fine again without meds, but then I remember my doc saying that is one of the things to be wary about - you feel good and think "I'm going to quit taking this because I'm fine" and then whammo, you're back to square one.
BoJo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 04:43 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 216/201/160

Height: 5'8"

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaneri View Post
YOU SAID BRAIN SHOCKS...WHAT ARE THEY?? I thought I was the only person in the world to get them...is that when you feel your brain like "pulsing" after you dont take your meds?
They're seriously like you got a major electrical zap straight to the brain. If you get them you'll know exactly what people are referring to. They hurt and if they happen around other people, they're very embarrassing
Wilky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2017, 05:17 PM   #14  

Default Switch

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkcandylee View Post
Effexor is nasty to go off. I felt like I was getting shocked all of the time!!! I had withdrawl for weeks. I was on Zoloft for Postpartum depression. It is also used to treat OCD. Have you thought about trying to go on wellbutrin? It has less of an effect on your sex drive. Good Luck, it will get better.
I was on Venlaxafine for a few years. I started at 75 mg and then played around with the dose and had a major panic attack and went to hospital and they decided to up me to 150mg. Within a week I was feeling much better. Then I played around with the doses again cause I thought I was better and over a couple years I was down to under 75 mg and then one day I had a ton of intrusive thoughts and had a breakdown. I decided to go right back up to 150 mg without gradually doing it and for 3 weeks it was pure ****. I couldn't sleep I had anxiety and I was scared to be around friends. My doctor switched me to sertraline I cross tapered down for a week and then went to 75 mg only of sertraline for a week and now I have been on 100 mg for 2.5 weeks and I have the worse electric shocks in my chest and fingers and have terrible crying spells. I'm at a loss and feel like there's no end to this.
Tresa is offline   Reply With Quote