Closed Thread

Old 02-09-2009, 08:05 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 295/225/back to Onederland

Height: 5'5"

Default 300+ And Getting Fit after 40 #197

This thread is a sub-set of the 300+ thread.

This group is for those dealing with the challenges of having a significant amount of weight to lose and being fit which becomes harder after age 40. If you're an old or new friend and not over 40 and feel this is the place to post, jump right in.
Old 02-09-2009, 08:07 AM   #2  

Walrus -- Thanks, I'll try that next time. Sadly, I seem to have a block -- on some occasions, it's like the food is the only thing that's there. But at other times that might help!!

Hope you all have a Monday as good as it can be!
Old 02-09-2009, 10:39 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 278/267.2/180

Height: 5'7"

Morning lades,

Wow, it took every ounce of will and energy to make myself get out of bed this morning. I ended up with a pretty quiet day yesterday because I didn't feel very rambunctious. Weather changes and sinus problems. Bah!

I read an interesting take on exercise after 40 last night. It was in Prevention magazine. I'll have to go find that and see if I can post the highlights. Basically it was cardio exercise 7 days a week. MWF are days of 30 minutes of intense cardio (warm up, start building intensity and 12 minutes at top intensity, cool down), TTHS are 20 minutes of intense interval work and Sunday is a 60 minute endurance building workout. On the 20 minute days, you do strength training of 20 minutes. I'm not finding it online but I did save the article. It was about boosting fat burning.

This week, I'm trying to get DH steered back into South Beach mode of cooking. We both need it, not just for weight, but for his diabetes and both of our cholesterols. Need a menu plan again!

The other thing I have got to do better at this week is getting up and moving around. With this different position, I sit too much. I'm not up and about like I used to be.

Heather - I'm with you. My food plan isn't working so its time to revisit it AGAIN. We can do this! We just have to hang tight and keep working at it. I thought DeNiro and Pacino did a pretty good job together. That was a good movie.

Angela - I so understand the feeling of not achieving the success on the scale. Thanks for sharing your rambling. It helps to see others having similar issues. How's the instructional (?) project going?

Debi - Good job for keeping the kiddies moving too! When is the wedding? That has to be coming up pretty soon! I don't think I've seen the Fresh Cuisine in our stores here in MO. However, since I don't go to the store that much, that may not mean much! We're having low-fat chicken enchiladas tonight. YUM-O!

BarbPA - Okay, you slipped down under 250 on your last WI and you didn't announce that???!!! for you! You deserve the happy dance! How was the steak house? As the scale is going down, are you cutting back on calories?

Lilion - How was your weekend and the event? Catch up on sleep? Wasn't it nice to have warmer weather this weekend; even though the sun was scarce. However, since this is MO and its still February, we're back into winter weather tomorrow.

Carol - Did you recover and get back at it? You've got one week until vacation! I didn't realize you were having to make those kinds of work decisions. I had to participate in that a couple of years ago and it was awful. I forget what your work is.

I better get this posted. to all!
Old 02-09-2009, 11:22 AM   #4  

Smile Good Morning Ladies!

Hope you are all having a nice day. It is BEAUTIFUL here! 60+ degrees and warmer tomorrow, although it's supposed to rain this afternoon. Of course, being Missouri, it's supposed to be in the low 40's with snow/rain by the weekend.

I didn't make it to the fundraiser. I SO wanted to go, but DH's supervisor never told him whether or not he could leave. Really, why not just say NO! I hate when they string you along. I went to my martial arts class and that was better for me anyway. Saturday I skipped WI. My friend said she didn't intend to go, so I slept in. I was still tired all day. I was kind of bad, food-wise. DS wanted pizza and I had one, 9 pt slice! Sausage, stuffed crust pizza is NOT good for you. I also had salad, pudding and pop tarts. Yeah, ate too much for sure. I'll scrap my flex points and work on just my regular the rest of the week. Sunday I was a slug, other than church and cooking dinner I did almost nothing and even took a 2 hour nap. Overslept this morning too, so no WO. I really have to quit that, but it was just too nice in my bed and I've just been so tired.

Who'd have thought church would be a challenge for a diet? My new church has 1/2 hour "fellowship" time after service and before Sunday school every day, with muffins and donuts and what have you. It's very nice, given that church is at 9:30 and Sunday school at 11, but not giving in to the donuts is hard...I LOVE donuts, muffins, and the like.

Terri, the info on exercise was interesting. If that's what it takes to lose, I may be in a losing battle - no pun intended. I know I need to be back on the exercise track. I just hope the weather gets better fast. It would be nice to take the pups out on walks, and start my 1/2 mile walk to work in the mornings again.

I should get to work now. Have a happy Monday everyone!

Last edited by Lilion; 02-09-2009 at 11:25 AM.
Old 02-09-2009, 12:41 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 351/ticker/175

Height: 5'9"

Default Blc

Results are in ladies!!

Last edited by Debbie54; 02-09-2009 at 12:42 PM.
Old 02-09-2009, 07:47 PM   #6  

Hi Ladies!

I had a good workout tonight. I'm in a good exercise groove, and that is making me happy. I know my eating isn't that bad and I'm just going to hunker down, do it better, and wait to see WHEN the scale moves.
Old 02-09-2009, 08:03 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 348.5/T/185

Hi Peeps - a wonderful spring tease of a day today. I stopped to enjoy the sunshine and feel the wind. It was a wonderful OP water drinking day too! After my heart to heart with my trainer on Saturday I am trying to listen to my body carefully. My plan is to only do my normal Tuesday/Thursday class until we are back from vacation and then reevaluate - with the stress at work I wasn't ever really unwinding and just flat burned out.

Terri - yes - thanks - I feel better and just a few more days until we head off on our cruise. If anyone is interested I will post a link to a webcam where we will be on Friday 2/20 at noon central time. The job stress really did overcome me - not easy decisions. My position is Corporate Credit/Collection Manager for a group of construction companies since you asked.

Time to do something with the leftover grilled pork and asparagus - sounds yummy.
Old 02-09-2009, 08:57 PM   #8  
BELIEVE!

Hi Gals!
I am starting to wrap up a long Monday. I worked in the office today then had a great training session. I always get a good workout and tonight was no exception! Then I got to spend some time hanging out chatting with my trainer before stopping at Hallmark for Valentine cards and now hanging out with my little boys - they are watching a little bedtime TV -the baby (will be 2 next week - yikes!) is snuggle up beside me and the big boy (3.5) is playing with his choo-choos. Due to major sleep issues with the oldest one lately I spend my evening upstairs w/ my laptop trying to get him to sleep in his own bed.

Anyway....

Terri - Thanks for noticing the that I've gotten into the 240s. I'm saving the celebration for when I hit 100 pounds gone from Aug 1....I have 9 pounds to go! I have not yet lowered my calories since I am still consistently losing. My trainer has actually suggested that I add 100-200 extra a day to possibly slow down the loss a little bed to hopefully get some of the loose skin to keep up with the loss. I laughed at him. Nicely of course! He knows I'm not going to up my calories...and as it turns out the weight loss has slowed down a little on it's own and become a little more inconsistent week to week. I definately have some trouble spots (arms, belly, inner thighs) that will likely have some skin issues. With all the weight training I am hopeful that it tones up overtime. After a year of maintenance if I'm not happy with it I'll likely consider getting things tightened up a bit. We'll see.

I hope you are able to get DH back on board with the eating. I know how difficult it is when you are not on the same page with your spouse. I battle it everyday, everymeal, etc.

The steakhouse was DELISH! I had such a nice time visiting with our friends. I decided ahead of time that I was going to indulge in a glass of wine and a dessert. I enjoyed it and now it's behind me. No guilt. I'm just now beginning to learn to enjoy small indulgences w/o beating myself up over them.

Lilion - I hope you enjoyed the beautiful day! Yesterday we were teased with a spring like day. Great job not giving into the donuts!!!

Hang on....gonna try to get the kids to bed and will be back...don't want to lose my post....

Ok, I'm back...watching my kiddo on the video baby monitor seeing if he stays in bed....

Heather - Glad to hear you had a good workout and food is going better. You know all to well what to do and how to do it...just do it!

gggirls - Sounds like a great day! A CRUISE???? I'm so jealous! I can't wait to cruise again. Before we had kids we went at least once a year. We will go again once both boys are potty trained and can participate in the kid's programs...that way mommy and daddy get a break too.

Hi Everyone else!!!

Gonna go get my evening snack of an apple with PB and hope everyone stays in their beds.

Toodles!

Last edited by BarbPA; 02-09-2009 at 09:11 PM.
Old 02-09-2009, 09:16 PM   #9  
Vortex

S/C/G: 330/see ticker/???

Well, TOM came at last, so with luck this water retention will come off in a few days. Someone at the office said that I looked like I had lost weight, which is funny, because I really don't think the scale has moved much since before Christmas--and I NEVER tell anyone I'm trying to lose weight. Maybe I just look better because I'm exercising; I definitely FEEL better.

Nice weather here again... I had to do some work-related walking around campus, and it was a real treat.

YAY Lilion on no donuts. I *did* give into the donuts, but I let the one I ate take the place of lunch.

Terri, Thanks for the words of encouragement. The research guide is going slowly. I'm working like a dervish on it, but I'm not even up to half way But the feedback I'm getting from my editor is good. Thanks too for the exercise info. I do believe it's the key for me, at least in the past I always lost more consistently when I was exercising consistently, and I know I need to do something to kick my metabolism up.

BarbPA: WTG! I can understand wanting to wait to celebrate, but under 250 is sooooo cool.
Old 02-09-2009, 10:52 PM   #10  

Barb -- I think you can celebrate both getting below 250 AND losing 100 pounds!! CONGRATS!!
Old 02-10-2009, 09:55 AM   #11  

I hate to admit it, but I did give in to the donuts - kind of. They had cut them up into like 4 little pieces each and I ate one and a few pieces of fruit. I swear, if I ever sign up to be hostess, I will bring many low-cal, sugar-free snacks.

Barb - You are doing SO GREAT! I also can't wait to get back under 250. I just keep telling myself that I can do it!

I did manage to get on the Infernal Machine today, but only for 10 minutes because, like always, I overslept. I parked in my 6/10 mile away spot and walked the 10 minutes to work. I was late, but I didn't have anything early today so whatever. Now I have no choice but to walk back this afternoon, so I'll get 30 minutes total of exercise, in three 10-minute increments. Not good, but better than nothing. Food-wise, not doing too bad, but I'm having problems with "grazing" at night. I hadn't had that problem so I don't know what's triggering that. Probably because DH keeps buying ice cream. (That "D" isn't for Dear under these circumstances. )

Parent/Teacher conference tonight, so I will be busy. I'll have to see if I can get DH to put something in the crock pot before he goes to work....and I have work to get to, so...

Bye for now!!!

Last edited by Lilion; 02-10-2009 at 09:56 AM.
Old 02-10-2009, 11:08 AM   #12  

lilion_ glad you were able to resist the doughnuts for the most part.I know i hate when the kids bring in a few dozen of holes.I have to really fight myself to keep from having a few. Its hard to stop when it comes to doughnuts..this morning i tried to think of them as greasy dough..it did help!!

Barb_ you are doing great!! You have reason to celebrate!!!

carol- hope your having a great day!

teri-I know the meals have not been out but for about a year. They are amazing and made with real food. My dd wedding is feb 28th...time is flying by!

vortex- my neice lives in charlsetown IL. She loves it there!!

heather_ way to go on getting back into the exercise mode.I am hoping that when springs finally comes it will kick me into full gear.

hugs to all..oh and drink your water!!
Old 02-10-2009, 02:41 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 278/267.2/180

Well, I've had two long posts just freeze up on me today cause the website quit responding. I might work on a reply later tonight.

to all!
Old 02-10-2009, 09:25 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 348.5/T/185

Counting down the days now until vacation. We went on a cruise December of 2007 for my 50th bd - I can't believe how much more stamina I have now - at that time I had lost about 30 pounds and was 3 months in to this journey. This time our excursions include things I never would have even considered doing - including riding underwater motorcycles in Cozumel next Tuesday.

I had a wonderful, sweaty hour with my trainer tonight. She was actually proud of me for taking a couple of days off last week - I certainly don't need to burn out - I know where that goes and I'm not going back there.
Old 02-10-2009, 10:39 PM   #15  
BELIEVE!

Hi Gals!

Thank you, Thank you! Ok...I'll celebrate....I'm under 250 for the first time in 15 years!!! WOOHOO!!!!!!

Busy day here. All is good. I had a late cardio session that I cut a little short cause I got too chatty with a gym buddy and ran a tad short on time. I wanted to get home to snuggle my boys and get them to bed.

I'm tired and cold...not sure why the house seems so chilly tonight, I just turned up the heat. Anyway, I think I'm going to snuggle under the blankets in bed.

G'night!
Closed Thread