Food Talk And Fabulous Finds Recipes, Healthy Cooking, and General Food Topics

Old 02-13-2009, 06:35 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 214/Ticker/130

Height: 5' 5.5", age 59

Default Asparagus anyone?

OK, I just found a recipe to use up my asparagus and eggs. We can never get enough good recipes for veggies, right?

Asparagi All Uovo

1 bunch asparagus
6 tbsp olive oil
salt and pepper
1/3 cup grated parmesan cheese
1 garlic clove
8 eggs
paprika

Cook asparagus in boiling salted water until tender; drain well. Put whole asparagus spears in shallow baking pan. Pour 3 tbsp oil over asparagus and sprinkle with salt, pepper, and cheese. Halve garlic, and cook slowly in remaining 3 tbsp oil for about five minutes; do not brown. Remove garlic. Put asparagus under broiler and brown lightly under medium heat. While asparagus is browning, drop eggs into oil; cover and cook slowly for three minutes. Serve 2 eggs on each portion of asparagus. Sprinkle with paprika. Makes four servings.

Here is another option: cook the garlic in 3 tbsp of oil before drizzling over asparagus, and not use the last 3 tbsp at all. Whip the eggs and pour over the browned cheese and asparagus and bake in the oven till done. This way you can reduce fat by using egg substitute if you want. This is a good recipe for protien and mufas.

OK...this one sounds really good too (and another good mufa to add to veggies):

Salsa Verde

3 tbsp cider vinegar
1/2 cup olive oil
3/4 tsp prepared mustard
3 tbsp mixed, finely chopped fresh parsely, raw spinach, watercress
1 medium onion minced

Combine all ingredients and blend thoroughly. Makes about 3/4 cup sauce. Serve over hot or cold cooked, drained asparagus. This Italian sauce is also good for other vegetables served cold, or for seafood and salads.

I haven't tried either of these yet (will do the asparagus one today), but they both sound wonderful.
recidivist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 08:50 PM   #2  

OK, edited to say I've tried the Asparagi All Uovo and I love it.

I made the modified version with only 3 tbsp olive oil, and the only thing I would do different, is to cut the asparagus spears into bite sized pieces before placing them in the pan, so the finished "fritatta" is easier to cut with a fork. I cut it into four servings and had one today (yummy) and wrapped the other three in foil so they are easy to pop in the toaster oven to warm for the next three days for breakfast.

The parmesan, asparagus, egg and garlic is a wonderful flavor combo, and a little turkey breast would be good in it too, I think. This came out to be four servings at 326 calories each (not counting the asparagus). I don't count veggies. If you do, you'd have to add in the calories for however much asparagus you use.
Old 02-14-2009, 02:23 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 196/196/185

Height: 5'3"

I just bought some asparagus tonight, and know what I am making with it on Sunday now! Thanks for the recipe.

What is a mufa?
theloula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2009, 03:55 AM   #4  

MUFA's are monounsaturated fatty acids and very necessary to our health, and also supposedly they help reduce belly fat? I'm not sure about the last part, but they do work to help overall health and they taste delicious too. Look them up on google and you will find lots of info on their benefits.

Here is a list of some of them:
Olives and olive oil
Canola oil
Nuts and nut oils (peanut, walnut)
Seeds and seed oils (sesame, flaxseed)
Grape seed oil
Soybean oil
Avocados
Dark chocolate
Old 02-14-2009, 06:39 AM   #5  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

I had asparagus last night. It was yummy.

Just sprayed a roasting sheet with cooking spray. Layed out the asparagus. Sprinkled on about 1 tbsp of seasoned bread crumbs, garlic and onion powders and sprayed it once again with the spray. Roasted it in the oven at 400 degrees for about 10 minutes. DELICIOUS!!! The kids were fighting over who would get the last spear. While they were fighting over that, I grabbed the last roasted brussel sprout.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2009, 09:42 AM   #6  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

Asparagus is one of those weird ones in that I love it in any form. I can eat it raw and often do. I'll also roast it and steam it. I love it Cost is the only prohibitive thing for me in terms of asparagus.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2009, 10:06 AM   #7  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by nelie View Post
Asparagus is one of those weird ones in that I love it in any form. I can eat it raw and often do. I'll also roast it and steam it. I love it Cost is the only prohibitive thing for me in terms of asparagus.
I've never had it raw. Will have to try it.

It is costly. Which is why I don't buy it every week. This week I got it for $1.99 a lb, which pretty much is as low as it gets. In fact, we had it twice this week because of it.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2009, 11:58 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 196/196/185

Thank you for the MUFA explanation!

theloula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2009, 01:20 PM   #9  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

Yeah asparagus is about 3.99/lb here which is over my price limit
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2009, 01:30 PM   #10  
Girl Gone Strong

S/C/G: (H)247/(C)159/(Goal)142-138

Asparagus just dropped to $1.99 per pound at Pathmark, so I'm going to load up on it tomorrow. This is easily one of my favorite green vegetables. I love the almost meaty texture when it's steamed.

Who among the posters here said she was roasting practically everything? I'm starting to come around to that way of thinking. If the bills for my gas oven are higher this winter, it's because of my discovery of roasted veggies from posts on these boards.
saef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2009, 02:33 PM   #11  

I've still never tried roasted veggies. I do need to check that out. Especially the brussel sprouts. I just love brussel sprouts.