Old 02-11-2009, 08:35 AM   #1  
Happy Plodder

S/C/G: 238/158.9/138

Height: 5'2"

Default And she's smug again!

Trying with the 'I don't eat that' but yesterday had a tea-time meeting that i had to provide tea and cakes for.
They ate and I didn't - but I can't abide to throw food out, it's wrong in this day and age.
I wondered if I was ready to move on to 'I don't eat that often', and if, for once in my life, I could have things in the house that I could eat just the one of, leave the rest.
I managed, by dint of packing the little fancies into freezer boxes and froze them. I had a real feeling of anxiety as I put the last lid on, it was almost get it in quick! before sthg happens.
I was successful, and last night managed 2 small treats, cost 168 calories. Boy it was good!
Rosinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 09:17 AM   #2  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

You are a much stronger woman than I am! I would have had to throw them out.
Ruthxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 09:17 AM   #3  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

I'm glad you're experimenting and finding what works for you.

In the very beginning, I did need to have those DEFINITE no's. My eating was just THAT out of control and I needed something to put the brakes on. *I* couldn't let the door open even a little bit, cause then it would just burst right open. But I did know, or at least hope, THAT DOWN THE ROAD, at a later time, that I could re-introduce CERTAIN foods and even have them in my home. But for the most part, I like to have those once in a while foods, in a controlled setting - out of my home. My home needs to be my safe haven and there will be some things that I will never make it's way into my home.

As far as throwing away food, well, I've come to realize that it is WAAAY more wasteful to eat food that's not good for me or eat when I'm not hungry then to toss it. Unfortunately my eating something that is not good for me, will help no one who is suffering from starvation. No one. And it will only do ME harm.

Glad you enjoyed those treats! You are certainly learning portion control. Good job.

Last edited by rockinrobin; 02-11-2009 at 09:18 AM.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 09:25 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 270/ 248/ 165

Height: 5' 11"

Can't eat it? Don't want to waste it? Wrap it up in cellophane or tin foil and on your way to work hand it off to the Vet that's asking for help. It will make you feel better than eating it or tossing it.
zerocool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 09:45 AM   #5  
poco a poco

S/C/G: 246/166.5/158

Height: 5'5"

Yeah I can't throw food away either--at least not until it has freezer burn (ha!) but I have found that putting it in the freezer does slow me down. When I have a craving the time spent waiting for it to thaw is my "cooling off" period. Either that or take it to the office---it disappears fast on the breakroom table.
Nada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 12:07 AM   #6  
NEVER EVER going back

S/C/G: 377/240's/150

Height: 5 feet 5 inches

I've thrown away so much food... you have no idea. I am so glad that you are able to learn some portion control. I... don't think I am there yet. I'm not sure that I ever will be in the near future. I'm okay with that though!!!
cfmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 03:15 AM   #7  
Happy Plodder

when I'm in the groove, I'm ok with portion control, although the only real way I can exercise it is if the food in question is out of sight. so these little cakes are in the freezer, so it's ok. the other food I have in the house - which is not much - is either in frozen portions or just raw stuff.

The thing about Vets is interesting. I don't pass anyone in that sort of need as I go about my daily business but because I live in a minister's house, it is a magnet for doorstep callers needing some kind of help. If I give money, they drink it/inject it, I can't afford to do it, and the word spreads and people keep coming back and get abusive. If I offer the traditional sandwich and cup of tea, I have to have sandwich fixings in the house, and I don't always, often it's raw meat and veggies. Haven't worked that one out yet. Also, since I changed jobs, I haven't had any callers - yet. The house was empty for 18+ months before I moved in, I guess word hasn't got round yet!
Old 02-12-2009, 09:21 AM   #8  
Happy Plodder

Finally had to let it go.

Those caramel shortbread squares kept calling to me out of the freezer. They're SSSOOO good frozen!
So I ate a last one, logged it in DietPower, and binned the rest. and it's a really disgusting bin, not even I would guddle down and pull the goodies out - oh the times I've done that!

So, only managed 70 hours with dangerous food in the house but at least I binned it when I couldn't hold out any longer..... so a semi-victory.
Old 02-12-2009, 09:28 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 290/See Ticker/150

Height: 5ft 4 inches

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ailidh View Post
Finally had to let it go.

Those caramel shortbread squares kept calling to me out of the freezer. They're SSSOOO good frozen!
So I ate a last one, logged it in DietPower, and binned the rest. and it's a really disgusting bin, not even I would guddle down and pull the goodies out - oh the times I've done that!

So, only managed 70 hours with dangerous food in the house but at least I binned it when I couldn't hold out any longer..... so a semi-victory.
It IS a victory. I personally have NO off switch. If it tastes good, I will eat it and eat it and eat it. I would have had to throw it out too.
I made V-day cookies for the boys and they are calling me! I know that if I eat ONE that my overdrive mode will kick in and before I know it, I will have eaten 5 and calling it lunch. You did really well!
irishsarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 05:39 AM   #10  
Happy Plodder

Just recording another smuggism.

Since I started the Lenten discipline, I ate around 1200 calories a day. I'll keep an eye on that, don't want to go too low too soon, but the plan is to save calories for Sundays, which are not fasting days.

Oh boy, I was looking forward to Sunday.

I ate fruit for breakfast; a pork chop with onions/mushrooms/peppers, sprouts and potatoes with a glass of red wine, followed by a piece of lemon pie for lunch; I ate a tuna mayo sandwich on wholemeal bread in the evening.

And the princely sum of all those extravagant calories? 1520!!!!!

So - pleased, because I did recognize 'full' signals yesterday, which is quite unusual; and SMUG because even on planned off days, I'm sticking to the programme! woohoo!

And I will keep an eye, so's I don't go too low.....
Old 03-02-2009, 12:12 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 289/278.8/155

Height: 5'7"

I keep telling myself I won't eat the goodies in the house, but I have to admit I will eat them, it's as simple as that...I can bake for the family and not get into that (as it's out in the kitchen and they would know), but if I bring anything into my bedroom, and tell myself I won't eat it today, or until I've lost 10 lbs or whatever, forget it, I AM going to eat it....!!!

I have to keep reteaching myself this, but there it is...I do not have the control I would like, so I need to help myself out...because I have to get that I am worth taking the time for and helping out....
Scarlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 01:00 PM   #12  

I have no self control over sweets. I cant have just one taste or even have it in my house which is hard as my son has snacks and sometimes they are things like rice krispy treats. I crave them.
If there is left over cake or treats from a holiday or from whatever I always think of the episode of Sex and The City when Miranda is having a love affair with chocolate cake and she keeps going back and eating it. So she finally puts it in the trash and then goes in the trash to get it but then pours soap on it so she cant eat it.
I am really bad about throwing things away too and if I know there are sweets in the house I think about them constantly. I wish I could be one of those people who could have a bite and put it back for good and still be satisifed.
KimberlyHeidi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 01:13 PM   #13  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

How about putting them out in a break room? I know its a bit evil but where I work, if you put food out, no matter what it is, it will disappear in a short period of time.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote