Old 02-09-2009, 09:00 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 290/See Ticker/150

Height: 5ft 4 inches

Default Wii and Wii Fits. Who's got 'em? Is it worth it? Opinions...

I have seriously been considering getting a Wii and Wii Fit. One of my sisters runs her own Gamestop so I can get a used one at a pretty good price. I also have 4 little boys that wouldn't mind a Wii in the house either.

My question is, is it worth it? Do you get a good workout out of it, or does it at least make it more fun? Do you find yourself not dreading working out so much with it? If you do like it, what games do you prefer? My sister said the "Jillian Michaels" one will really kick your butt. I don't know if I am ready for all of that yet.

So, I'd appreciate any input before I commit a chunk of our tax return to getting one. I AM join the recreation centre really soon too, but I figured this would be a good way to get in extra workouts or for those days when I just really don't want to go to the rec centre.

Plus, it won't hurt the boys either...

Last edited by irishsarah; 02-09-2009 at 09:02 AM. Reason: Need more tea before I can remember how to spell
irishsarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 09:23 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 273/260.1/163

Height: 5'7"

I have both! I love it!! Just beware of a few things, while it is a lot more fun to exercise, it takes a lot longer! 30 minutes on there is more like 45 because of all the pauses between the different exercises. I've also found that it's keeping me accountable, how? Well it wants to you to weigh every day, I don't do that, but I do get on it a couple times a week and can't handle having a gain on my chart, lol. So I'm finding myself staying on plan with my food a lot more often.

I haven't heard good things about the Jillian Michael's game I had high hopes for that one considering how good her actual video's are!

For me it's been well worth it! I am really enjoying it I would recommend it to anyone!

-Aimee
SwimGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 09:23 AM   #3  
FB

It would depend upon your current fitness level and your inclination to play video games.

We got one for Christmas (2008). The workouts, even at my top effort do not provide the challenge I'm able to find with other workouts. But that's me right now. I have used a heart rate monitor to compare.

When I first started it would have been a powerfully motivating and useful tool - and fun. I really wish we would have had one at that point, but alas!

I'm at the point now where my exercise is more challenging and my fitness level is pretty high, so it's a fun thing to do on occasion with my 4 year old. It is preferable to watching television - but I really don't watch television, so I can't help with that perspective. There are ways to use it while you simultaneously watch a show. I don't mind my son playing with it - but other video games are off limits. So, that's a perk.

The Jillian game is fun, but the controls are awkward and frustrating. If you're able to find it for under $10.00 then maybe give it a shot. Not worth the sticker price at all.

I'd probably recommend it, if you're getting a great deal, just starting with exercise, need fun visual motivation and it doesn't stretch your budget. Personally, I'd wait until this fall - with spring upon us soon (I HOPE!) there will be so much to do outdoors and with your new membership to a fitness center. Or, vice versa, wait on the fitness center while you get the most you can from a Wii.

Last edited by FB; 02-09-2009 at 09:25 AM.
FB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 09:24 AM   #4  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

I have the Wii/Wii Fit. I'd recommend getting the 30 day shred workout rather than the Jillian Michaels game. It has horrible reviews on Amazon. Unless you can try it out first.

I view the Wii/Wii Fit as more of a diversion. I don't consider it to be 'real' exercise although certain things like the 10 minute boxing (although it has a lot of rests) can get your heart rate up and the running can as well.

I do like the yoga and some of the strength workouts but I just wish it didn't take so long to switch between one exercise and another.

There is a 'my personal trainer' for the Wii which is also available on the PC which is interesting and probably what I'd recommend if someone wanted a software based workout but you don't use the balance board for it and you don't need a Wii to do it.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 09:33 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 318/294/Healthy

Height: 5'8

Now see I DO think it gets your heart beat up and gives you a good workout. I do the step aerobics on it and its fun and gets you going. I do agree that it will take a little longer to get a good work out b/c of all the pauses.
But worth it to me as I wouldnt just do a step video.
I weigh almost 300lbs and was over that when I started it. Also over the past year or two Ive not had much activity so Im out of shape big time.
If your fitness level is just starting out I think it IS a good workout. And that its fun so you will want to keep doing it.
I love the balance games but those are not much of a workout Ill ussually do those to cool down. Though the one where you roll the mii balls into the holes seems to work your legs and core. I think it depends a lot on how much weight you have on and what your fitness level is.
If you can afford it Id say get it. Your kids will love it even if you dont. My neice and nephew borrowed mine and were on it every day for hours. I dont think with 4 kids you can go wrong. Especially if your sister can let you borrow used games or sell them to you cheap.
LookingForMeAgain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 09:36 AM   #6  
Loving life!!

S/C/G: 360/159/145

Height: 5' 8"

I loved it at first but it was different & a fun way to "compete" with my DH. I have not played the wii fit since the middle of January. I do however love playing wii sports & other games with the family

If you are not used to exercising I think it's an awesome way to start but if you are exercising already & used to a more intense workout then I wouldn't look at it as something you would get a really good workout from.
TJFitnessDiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 09:46 AM   #7  
Former Quitter

S/C/G: 310/310/180

Height: 5'7

My daughters, 13 and 9, love the Wii fit. They like doing the yoga and cardio and trying to make their Wii fit age go down. I've not tried it yet.
GirlyGirlSebas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 09:49 AM   #8  
Just Me

Quote:
Originally Posted by GirlyGirlSebas View Post
My daughters, 13 and 9, love the Wii fit. They like doing the yoga and cardio and trying to make their Wii fit age go down. I've not tried it yet.
That sounds awesome for keeping your girls active Do you have 'we cheer'? I read the reviews on that and it sounds like a fun and active game for little and big girls alike. I'm almost tempted to buy it
Old 02-09-2009, 10:54 AM   #9  
unabashed

S/C/G: 344/321/220

Height: 5'5

The game that hte wii fit COMES WITH, has strength training, yoga aerobics and balance games. I'ts not all that challenging.

BUT...

I just got My Fitness Coach for wii (does not need the board) and it is incredible! You take a fitness test before setting up your profile and it determines what kind of intensity of work out you require, what your goals should be, and asks you how it's going throughout it and adjusts your next work out accordingly (if it was too easy or too hard or just right) etc, etc. I did it last night and I felt great!

Check it out on amazon, the other day before I bought it it had 114 5 star reviews! Totally worth it imo.

Last edited by lottie63; 02-09-2009 at 10:55 AM.
lottie63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 11:42 AM   #10  
Motivated for 2009

S/C/G: 240/200/125

Height: 5'5"

I really want to get one. How much do they cost?
2ndChance09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 12:05 PM   #11  
started 1/28/08

Quote:
Originally Posted by RomanceDiva View Post
If you are not used to exercising I think it's an awesome way to start but if you are exercising already & used to a more intense workout then I wouldn't look at it as something you would get a really good workout from.
My cousin has this, and I tried it out at her house over the holidays. Totally agree with the above quote.
Merksie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 12:08 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 290/See Ticker/150

Height: 5ft 4 inches

I may just bite the bullet...thanks. My workout level is non-exsistant. Well, I do pilates and a few times a week I do some moderate walking in place with handweights, but I am really just building up, so it may be a good motivator. Plus, I guess I really can't go wrong with all the boys. My oldest has used the Wii in therapy and loves it.

I am not sure of the cost. My sister said she could get me a hardly used one for $199 or less, plus her discount. If I wanted the board, she could get me one for around $55 or so. The games she can get for really cheap. I'd still need an extra controller and nunchuk thingie so there isn't a ton of fighting over the thing.

I think I'll get the Wii sports package too. I think that would be fun for the kids, DH and I. We'll just see how much the bills come to first. Darn gas bill !

Thanks for all the imput.
irishsarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 12:10 PM   #13  
Starbucks Addict!

Height: 5'4

I actually really love it! Im not in the best shape and it works well for me. I really love the boxing and the free step. I dont really like the yoga because it takes so darn long between poses but all the other stuff is fun! I use it more than my daughter and shes the one that wanted it for Christmas lol

I would totally recommend this!!
purplecrush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 12:12 PM   #14  
Just Me

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2ndChance09 View Post
I really want to get one. How much do they cost?
Wii is around $250, Wii Fit is around $80.

Oh and Wii Sports comes with the Wii.
Old 02-09-2009, 12:20 PM   #15  
Working my way back

S/C/G: 185/150

Height: 5'5

i have, i like it, it's fun to play... could i live without it?

yes.

do i love my wii and ALL the games i have as a whole?

yes.
corazonas is offline   Reply With Quote