Old 02-08-2009, 05:39 PM   #1  

Default Where to begin....

I guess you'd say I was new to this fourm. I signed up a almost 2 years ago. Sadly, I haven't lost any weight since then, I actually have gained about 10 pds.

I'm at a point I don't know where to begin. I'm not even sure how many calories I'm suppose to consume!

I do know, I have to cut out the diet soda and sweet tea and drink more water. I know I have to exercise. I know I have to eat healthier.

I don't have any extra $$ to sign up for weight watchers right now.

I am drinking water now.

I know baby steps....I really have to get this weight off. I've lost, ME in all of it!

DH saw a picture of me that a friend posted on Facebook. It was about a year before I met him, 10 years ago. He said, Wow, I haven't seen you smile like that in a long time. He's right....I don't remember when I last smiled like that. I should, I have two beautiful boys that I want to be around for to see them grow!
debnboyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 05:46 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 278/see ticker/168

Height: 5'6"

Welcome, Debbie. You're in the right place. Keep posting. I know you will get LOTS of great tips, info and support here!
Lyn2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 05:49 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 255/see tracker/180

Height: 5 ft 7 in

Hi Debbie, even tho we know what we are supposed to do it is still hard getting started and staying with it. I use The Daily Plate to track calories http://www.thedailyplate.com/, it will give you a pretty good idea on how many calories you need based on your weight, and weekly goal. Good Luck!
jademarlene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 06:05 PM   #4  
returning to myself

Height: 5'6"

welcome Debbie,

Idid the same thing...I signed up a couple of years ago and then just sorta lost momentum...and gained more weight.

I'm living in a new town...don't have a job....no money to spare....no DH...sigh...I'm depressing myself...

but I'm really determined ....so I'm with you...we need to go get our smiles back!
iminhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 06:48 PM   #5  

Thanks for the welcome!

I know it will be a journey, one that has been waiting.

It's really sad, that I have no energy to play with my kids.

I want to be able to go to the pool this summer and focus on them, not how awful I look in a bathing suit!
Old 02-08-2009, 06:48 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 240/230.6/216

Height: 5'4"

You're not alone! I did the same thing - left 3FC, and gained everything I had lost back +10

But all that matters is that you stand back up one more time than you fall. And you're pulling yourself back up now.

As for how many calories? The basic rule is more calories out than calories in

Here is a calculator to determine how many calories you burn in a normal day based on your age, gender, height, weight, and activity level (ie, I burn more calories on a daily basis because my job is running after 2 year olds as opposed to a desk job) In order to stay your weight you'd want to eat that many calories. To lose weight, stay under it.

IE; Mine tells me 2727 calories per day. I try to eat 2000 or less calories per day (meaning I'm staying under 727 calories a day) plus workout.

Remember, a deficit of 3500 cals and you'll lose 1 lb. It's a good idea to try and stay around 2lbs (so 7000 cals) per week, but more or less depending on how much you weigh.

As for personal tips I've picked up;

1, Measure yourself! You'll find yourself not believing the numbers, or you'll feel like you're not losing fast enough with gaining muscle. If you measure from the start and re-measure again later you will have proof of what you've really lost!

2, Exercise! The last time I tried this I just changed my eating habits and didn't really exercise - but this time I'm working out every day - The weight is coming off faster, and I have extra energy.

3, Do not do not do not deprive yourself. When you tell yourself "I can't ever have this again" you will feel less motivated, and be more likely to binge and then give up. Find low cal/fat versions of your favorite foods. (ie, weight watchers or skinny cow deserts, or go to Hungry Girl for healthier versions of unhealthy food, or just plain out allow yourself a small amount of your favorite unhealthy food every so often as a reward - just don't overdo it!)

4, Water! Lots of it! You can buy those crystal light packets to add to your water to make it a little more flavorful if it makes it easier for you. Just be prepared for lots of trips to the potty. (I didn't nickname myself pee girl for nothing!)

5, We're all human - we're going to slip up and have binges or lazy days. But just remember to pull yourself back up and get back into your new healthy habits!

and 6, Exercise! Oh, I already said that? I'm just feeling so much better even after just a couple days of working out that I can't say it enough!

Good luck, and know that everyone at 3FC is always here to offer you their advice
Gretchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 06:52 PM   #7  

Gretchy-thanks, I forgot about taking measurements! I'll have to do that.

I know...I need to exercise!

I've been up down on my weight most of my adult life.

I lost over 60+, and I did it by keeping track of what I ate, and I exercised, mostly walked. I again it back, then I lost it again, by watching what I ate, but I exercised every morning, just 15 minutes of a walk/bike every morning.

I need to remember that, and just do it, even if my knees hurt and I want to sleep in.
Old 02-08-2009, 07:27 PM   #8  
Loving life!!

S/C/G: 360/159/145

Height: 5' 8"

Gretchy pretty much said everything I was gonna say....so all I have to add is

Last edited by TJFitnessDiva; 02-08-2009 at 07:28 PM.
TJFitnessDiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 08:18 PM   #9  
unabashed

S/C/G: 344/321/220

Height: 5'5

Welcome. you will find great advice and support here!
lottie63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 10:26 PM   #10  
NEVER EVER going back

S/C/G: 377/240's/150

Height: 5 feet 5 inches

Welcome welcome welcome! Stay and hang out. We'd love to have you here!!!
cfmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 10:41 PM   #11  
yay! summertime!

S/C/G: 265/235/135

Height: 5'7"

Debnboyz---

You've taken a big step by posting; you've gone public which I think means you are really ready to try this new way of living. You are drinking water. You are thinking about your eating. You want to do this!

I haven't been here long enough to have lots of great advice --- I still don't really know what works and what doesn't. But there are lots of very informed folks that hang out here that provide you with information. So pull on your walking shoes and grab your water bottle --- glad to have you on board!

Numina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 09:06 AM   #12  
One day at a time!

S/C/G: 301/see ticker/160

Height: 5' 2"

Debnboyz,

I don't think that I can add to the good advice you have already been given but welcome. This forum provides wonderful support. When I feel discouraged, I love to look at the progress pictures. YOU can do this!
time2lose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 09:13 AM   #13  
Hi From Canada, eh?

S/C/G: check the ticker :)

Height: 5'8

HI and welcome back! good for you for making a start yay!!! If I can offer ONE teeny tiny suggestion -- LAUGH!!!! You have 2 little kiddies, kids are funny! find something during the day to laugh over, and smile over, please Fat, skinny, rich, broke, there's always something to make a person smile and laugh, it makes life bearable
Trazey34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 09:21 AM   #14  
yay! summertime!

S/C/G: 265/235/135

Height: 5'7"

That is wonderful advice, Trazey! Everyday, we should be looking for the joy --- the bad stuff will find us on its own. And a laugh can sure turn a day around.

Numina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 09:28 AM   #15  
One pound at a time...

to the forum!
ChocLabLover is offline   Reply With Quote