View Single Post
Old 02-07-2009, 05:02 PM   #37
mauvaisroux
Bewitchin' in the kitchen

Actually, I am the guilty party who started a thread on this site many years ago called Alternachicks in the hopes of meeting some people that I had something in common with. When I first got here I met a lot of nice people but couldn't really talk to them about things I do, books I read, weird movies, music etc. My tastes weren't really similar to theirs.

To quote from the bio thread "The word Alternachicks basically grew from the word “alternative” an 80's reference to punk/new wave music. It reflects our different lifestyles and mindsets." I guess these were the only words I could find to describe it. There are no set rules or dress code or lifestyle requirements for being an alternachick - it is just how you feel about yourself.

For me it is never really feeling like I belong in a group - a feeling I have had since childhood. Even if I didn't look like a weird kid I had different opinions and ideas from those around me. I can fit in wherever I go because I make an effort to be social but a lot of times I feel I am just doing it to be polite and social and I don't really have anything in common with those around me.

At work I look completely conservative and no one would suspect that I am a gamer, a bellydancer, a lover of zombie movies and crazy foreign movies with subtitles ( most people I know hate to "read" movies ), listen to every kind of music under the sun, love sci-fi books and speak 4 different languages. I fly my freak flag after work and on weekends.

Posts by members, moderators and admins are not considered medical advice and no guarantee is made against accuracy. Please see your physician before taking advice found on the internet.

mauvaisroux is offline   Reply With Quote