The Maintenance Library books, articles, and book discussions

Old 02-05-2009, 02:39 PM   #1  
Progress not perfection

S/C/G: 235/170/150

Height: 5'7

Default Romance books about curvy women!?

So do you know of Romance books where it makes you feel good to be a curvy girl? I love reading romance novels where the main girl is thick and curvy....

Some I've read:

He Loves Lucy by Susan Donovan

Marketing exec Lucy Cunningham is thrilled when her firm lands The Palm Club account. The campaign concept for Miami's hottest fitness club was Lucy's idea: take one fitness-challenged woman, put her in front of TV cameras, and into the hands of the club's top personal trainer, Theo Redmond. And there's a big cash reward for each pound shed. It seems like a brilliant idea-until Lucy gets picked to be the guinea pig. It's obvious she needs to drop the pounds, but the idea of letting it all hang out in front of some Malibu Ken jock has her choking on her Milk Duds before she even begins!

After one meeting, Theo knows Lucy will be his toughest client and one of the most unforgettable women he'll ever meet. Smart-mouthed and stubborn, it's clear she isn't fond of marching to anyone's drumbeat but her own. But she shocks Theo by rising to the challenge like a pro. And he finds his heart in jeopardy long before Lucy starts to slim down and turn heads.

As Lucy sweats her way into a whole new life, things start to heat up between her and Theo. But trust doesn't come easy for either of them. They've both been burned by romance in the past. Now Lucy and Theo are about to discover that appearances can be deceiving-and in the end, true love lies somewhere between pizza and Pilates...

Bet Me by Jennifer Cruise

Minerva Dobbs's mother named her daughter after the Greek goddess. Yet Min, who's grown up to be a curvy woman who adores carbs, isn't quite a knockout beauty and, at 33, she shows no signs of getting married anytime soon. So when the dashingly handsome (god-like, in fact) Calvin Morrissey enters Min's life and starts pouring on the charm, she's skeptical. As well she should be-it appears Cal has a $10,000 bet with some of his drinking buddies that he can get Min into bed within a month. Statistics-loving Min knows about the bet and figures she can play Cal for a month, use him as a date for her sister's upcoming wedding and then dump him right before the month is up. Alas, destiny has different plans. As Min and Cal fall for each other, Crusie pulls out the pranks, repeatedly pushing the two together and then tearing them apart. A bubbly cast of characters alternately helps and hinders romance, including Cal's ex-girlfriend, a psychologist who studies relationships for a living; a matchmaking Italian chef; and Min's friend Liza, who'll stop at nothing to make sure Min doesn't wind up with the conniving Cal. It's all cutesy, corny, romantic fun, and Crusie (Fast Women; Faking It; etc.) has created a loveable character in Min. Although some readers will be sucked into Crusie's deliberate plot, others may cringe at its predictability. With multiple references to Chicken Marsala, Krispy Kreme donuts and Midwestern brats (a fine contrast to Min's compulsively thin-thinking mother), Crusie's latest should delight romance readers with a penchant for sinful foods.

Also I'm going to pick up a few I just heard of:
Meg Cabbot: Size 12 is not Fat

Last edited by jillnicole03; 02-05-2009 at 02:39 PM.
jillnicole03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 03:46 PM   #2  
Lindsay

S/C/G: 220/210/150

I really like this book.

Too much Temptation by Lori Foster

Virginal and voluptuous, Grace Jenkins has secretly loved and lusted after handsome Noah Harper for three years but he was engaged and, therefore, off-limits. Then Noah walks in on his bride-to-be with another man and abruptly breaks off the engagement, refusing to explain the reason for the canceled wedding to his family. His grandmother and his fiancée's family are outraged. Grace rushes to defend him and is stunned when Noah responds by taking her straight to bed. She thinks this is only mutual lust and decides to enjoy the excitement for as long as it lasts while Noah quickly discovers that what he feels for Grace is much more complicated than simple lust. But convincing Grace is another matter entirely--she refuses to see herself as a permanent part of his life. Meanwhile, Noah's ex-fiancée is stirring up trouble with his autocratic grandmother and before she's done, Noah will have to reevaluate his relationship with his grandmother, Grace will have a whole new self-image, and both will face major upheaval in their careers and personal lives
Mickeypnd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 04:03 PM   #3  
Melissa

Height: 5'9''

All three sound great! I might be making a trip to the library...
Bikini Ready is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 04:12 PM   #4  
Progress not perfection

I actually looked up Lori Foster today! But my dang library doesn't have that book, only:

Jude's law / Lori Foster.

Murphy's law / Lori Foster.

Never too much / Lori Foster.
Old 02-05-2009, 04:46 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 235/203.2/135

Height: 5'6

Good In Bed by Jennifer Weiner... I dont know if you'd call it a romance book but there definately is a love story in it and The main character is a sassy curvy chick, my sister had it lying around and i loved it
CityChick86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 06:44 PM   #6  
Progress not perfection

I actually saw that one on a list today, but my library was out. Good in Bed, does look good I love romantic-comedy type books.

Susan Elizabeth Phillips is my favorite.
Old 02-05-2009, 08:12 PM   #7  
Lindsay

S/C/G: 220/210/150

Quote:
Originally Posted by jillnicole03 View Post
I actually looked up Lori Foster today! But my dang library doesn't have that book, only:

Jude's law / Lori Foster.

Murphy's law / Lori Foster.

Never too much / Lori Foster.

Im a big fan of her work, and I've read all of these. I COMPLETELY forgot about Jude's law. That's a really good one, and also about a curvy chick and an famous actor.
New too much is the sequel to Too Much temptation. I liked it as well. I wasn't too much of a fan of Murpy's law, but it was still a good book.

Jemima J- BY Jane green is a great book!
Its about a big girl who liked this guy but he doesn't feel for her in that way, so she goes on this diet and losses way too much weight too fast and starts dating this new guy who she thinks only likes her bc of her new body. wont ruin it if you plan on going out and buying it, but its a great book!
Mickeypnd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 10:34 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 228/184.7/145

Height: 5'6"

Bet Me is one of my absolute favorite books. I've actually read all of the books on this list and with the exception of Jemima J loved all of them (I dont remember what I didnt like about it, just remember being very frustrated when I read it!) Also try Lola Carlyle Reveals All and Simply Irrisistible by Rachel Gibson, It Had to be You by Susan Elizabeth Phillips.
steph324 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 01:03 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 226/141/126

Height: 5'4"

thanks for posting this thread... Ill defiantly keep an eye out for some of these books.
mudskippersgrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 08:42 PM   #10  
Progress not perfection

Yeah I've read every Susan Elizabeth Phillips book, she is my absolute favorite!!!
Old 02-07-2009, 10:57 PM   #11  
Age Quod Agis

S/C/G: 184/177/134

Height: 5'5.5''

Quote:
Originally Posted by jillnicole03 View Post

Bet Me by Jennifer Cruise

Minerva Dobbs's mother named her daughter after the Greek goddess. Yet Min, who's grown up to be a curvy woman who adores carbs, isn't quite a knockout beauty and, at 33, she shows no signs of getting married anytime soon. So when the dashingly handsome (god-like, in fact) Calvin Morrissey enters Min's life and starts pouring on the charm, she's skeptical. As well she should be-it appears Cal has a $10,000 bet with some of his drinking buddies that he can get Min into bed within a month. Statistics-loving Min knows about the bet and figures she can play Cal for a month, use him as a date for her sister's upcoming wedding and then dump him right before the month is up. Alas, destiny has different plans. As Min and Cal fall for each other, Crusie pulls out the pranks, repeatedly pushing the two together and then tearing them apart. A bubbly cast of characters alternately helps and hinders romance, including Cal's ex-girlfriend, a psychologist who studies relationships for a living; a matchmaking Italian chef; and Min's friend Liza, who'll stop at nothing to make sure Min doesn't wind up with the conniving Cal. It's all cutesy, corny, romantic fun, and Crusie (Fast Women; Faking It; etc.) has created a loveable character in Min. Although some readers will be sucked into Crusie's deliberate plot, others may cringe at its predictability. With multiple references to Chicken Marsala, Krispy Kreme donuts and Midwestern brats (a fine contrast to Min's compulsively thin-thinking mother), Crusie's latest should delight romance readers with a penchant for sinful foods.

Meg Cabbot: Size 12 is not Fat

I read this one. Probably about 3 times It was great! Real cute.
sweetshauna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 11:55 AM   #12  
Mellow but Sassy

S/C/G: 280/255/160

Height: 5' 11"

Don't get me wrong, I'm the queen of trashy novels. I have a million of them, and I figure if I have to read textbooks and journals all day the least I can do is put some trash in my brain later.

However.

There are so many of these novels about big girls that annoy me. I mean, there's a whole subset where the plot is some variation of:
1) Fat girl is unhappy
2) Fat girl meets a boy
3) Fat girl gets ridiculously thin
4) Skinny girl finds out she really likes this other boy
5) Skinny girl mellows out at like a size 8 or 10

Which to me always comes off as a little condescending and still follows the "you have to get skinny to find out how to be happy" motif.

Now, I'm sure there are books that aren't like that out there, and I would be more than happy to read them. Maybe I just tend to pick up the same style book (I'll admit it, I grab by the cover). I didn't come here to be incredibly negative. I actually just read Jemima J, so I think that's where the animosity came from. The book really hit my annoyance buttons.

So yeah, you've got a book that isn't along that style, definitely let me know because I'm sure I would love it.
Zen Pharmacy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 09:23 AM   #13  
Progress not perfection

Zen Pharmacy... then read Bet Me by Jennifer Cruise! It makes you feel good about eating
Old 02-10-2009, 11:08 AM   #14  
Formerly know as Fauxtini

S/C/G: 369.2/ticker/235

Height: 6'1

Good in bed is really good! I think someone above mentioned it.. but just wanted to say.. i loved it too!!
mountain mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 06:16 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 228/184.7/145

Height: 5'6"

Zen Pharmacy - You just reminded me what I disliked about Jemima J! I am trying to lose weight for myself. And while it makes me happy to see those numbers go down on the scale and know that I am increasing the number of years I have left, I'd hate to believe that there was no way that I could ever be happy romantically unless I lost the weight!

I second the suggestions for Good in Bed and Bet Me because in neither book is the character's love life dependent upon her losing weight!
steph324 is offline   Reply With Quote