Old 02-05-2009, 01:15 PM   #1  
In the Home Stretch!

S/C/G: See Tracker

Height: 5'6"

Question How did you do it? How are you doing it?

I found this posted back from 2005 and I thought it would be interesting to re-post (I’ve kinda tweaked it).

I'm so inspired by all of you in the 100 lb club. I visit everyday and I’m blown away by everyone’s hard work and success. You guys ROCK!

I'm sure a lot of you get PM's asking, "How did you do it?" I think this thread can be very helpful to new and old members to see there are a variety of ways to reach your goal. What do you think? If you have a few minutes, please feel free to respond.

You can just copy and paste the questions and change your answers. I’ll start…

1. When did you start losing weight?
Sept. 23, 2008

2. How much have you lost?
46 lbs

3. Are you following a specific diet? If so which one?
I count calories

4. If you aren't following a specific plan, what are you doing eating wise to lose weight?
I eat 2000 calories on days I work out and 1800 on days I don’t. I am trying to keep my ratio to 30/40/30 (carbs/protein/fat). I don’t eat fast food, I only drink diet soda once or twice a week, I drink lots of water, and I do my best to eat clean calories (no processed foods).

5. Do you do “cheat days”?
I don’t have “cheat days” if I want a treat I work it into my plan. A girl needs her chocolate fix every now and then to stay sane.

6. Do you drink alcohol?
Yes, but I think drinking slows down/messes with my weight loss. I enjoy getting my drink on every now and then so I try to only do it once or twice a month. I try not to drink more then 3-4 drinks. I have a new favorite I’d like to share…Cherry Vodka and Diet Coke…oh ya tastes like a cherry coke!

7. Do you exercise? If yes, where?
Yes, mostly at the gym right now because it’s freezing in Michigan. I’d like to run more outside once it get’s above freezing and the snow melts.

8. What kind of exercise do you do?
A mix of weight training, spinning, running, sprints, kickboxing, and pilates. I just started meeting with a trainer twice a week to do weight training.

9. How many days/hrs per week do you exercise?
I shot for 5 days a week and I average 2 hrs per night (I like to workout).

10. Biggest challenge so far? Can be physical or mental challenge…
Not being so hard on myself, questioning everything I do if it’s the “right” thing to do, working through my first plateau.

11. Biggest success so far?
Running again! I can do 3 miles no stopping and my last 5K time on the treadmill was 34:24 on a 1% incline.

12. Words of wisdom (any additional tips/motivation you want to share)…
Believe in yourself!
daniela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 01:45 PM   #2  
Reached Goal Sept 11/09

S/C/G: 228/135

Height: 5'4"

July 22, 2008

54 lbs

Weight Watchers – specifically, the Wendie Plan (for the last 5 weeks)

4. Do you do “cheat days”?
No, but on the Wendie Plan, I do have one day a week when I have 15 extra points (~750 cals), and I do have a big dinner that night. However, I still stay in my points range. It’s not cheating, because it is part of the plan.

5. Do you drink alcohol?
No, but this is unrelated to weight loss. I haven’t had a drink in almost 13 years. Food is not my first addiction.

6. Do you exercise? If yes, where?
Yes, 5-6 days a week.

7. What kind of exercise do you do?
I do hot yoga (yoga in a room heated to 105 F), spinning class (at the university gym) and run on the treadmill at home.

8. How many days/hrs per week do you exercise?
I try to do 6 days, but some weeks I only exercise 5 days. I do my best. Typical workout is 60-90 minutes.

9. Biggest challenge so far? Can be physical or mental challenge…
Learning to forgive small deviations from the plan (eating or exercise related) and not use them as an excuse to give up.

10. Biggest success so far?
Twice in the past 5 years, I have lost 35 lbs and then given up due to boredom or “diet fatigue”. I prepared for that this time, and managed to breeze past 35 lbs without a problem or meltdown. This have improved my confidence in myself. I now believe I can reach my goal weight. This is a huge mental victory for me.

11. Words of wisdom (any additional tips/motivation you want to share)…
I have learned that I do not have to be perfect to succeed. I only need to do my best – and be patient with myself.

Failure is not final.

And… posted above my treadmill (where I need it the most! LOL) – I never said it would be easy. I only said it would be worth it!
MrsWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 01:49 PM   #3  
career counselor a-gogo

S/C/G: HW:~330 325/ticker/145

Height: 5'7

When did you start losing weight?
November 8, 2008

35 lbs

Calorie Counting using The Daily Plate (TDP) to track things.

4. If you aren't following a specific plan, what are you doing eating wise to lose weight?
I plug my stats into TDP and set my goal for losing 3 pounds per week. I weigh myself every morning and put that in TDP. TDP then tells me how many calories I get to eat that day. I also try to drink lots of water, eat out infrequently, and eat as many whole foods as possible. I avoid processed foods in general but they are not banned.

Sometimes I choose to go over my calories for the day but I usually make up for it on other days that week. If I get stressed with school I may stop counting calories but try to eat what I normally would so it's close to my correct calories for the day. I can eat any food I want including fast food as long as I hit my calorie goals but as I said above I'm really focusing on eating whole foods as much as possible. I think I've had fast food twice (not counting Subway) since I started and both times it was something my mom brought home when I was visiting her.

6. Do you drink alcohol?
Not often. I might have a Guinness once every couple months. Since I started losing weight I don't think I've had any alcohol. It's not a big part of my life.

I try to walk places. I walk to school or walk to town. I try to tie exercise to something else I'm doing. I intend to lift weights when I get done with school and I might get Wii fit someday.

See #7

Right now it's sporadic. Probably less than one day a week this quarter but I'm working on increasing that. Last quarter I walked to school about 3 days a week.

I have Hashimoto's disease (Hypothyroid) so it can slow things down. I also have had knee problems since childhood (not weight related, but the weight doesn't help) so that can be limiting sometimes.

One day I randomly decided to walk to the Movie Theater across town. When I got home I figured out that I had walked a total of 6.5 miles round trip. 3 months ago I could barely walk a mile and last year I could barely walk to the mailbox.

Buy a scale and weigh yourself. Conquering the fear of seeing the # on the scale was hugely important and knowledge is power.
Count calories! It works and it's not as hard as you think.
See your doctor. It's important to get medical help for anything that is slowing down weight loss.
Learn what a reasonable portion looks like.
Realize that weight loss is actually pretty fast. Would you like to weigh 50 pounds less next February? Totally doable for anyone! You'll probably do better than 50lbs a year if you have 100lbs to lose.
Tracking your weight loss is hugely motivating. The tickers here are important!
rodeogirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 02:02 PM   #4  
nirvikalpa samadhi

S/C/G: 369.5/ticker/169.5

Height: 5'8"

August 14, 2008 (this is my third time on Atkins though--previously 1999 and 2003)

92-ish lbs, at least 100 more to go

Atkins Induction

n/a

Never.

6. Do you drink alcohol?
I have about 1 teaspoon of Bombay Sapphire gin in about 4 oz of diet tonic water about 1-2 times per week. I pour it on top of the tonic so the first sip or two is “ginny.”

Shamefully, not consistently.

When I do exercise I ride my recumbent bike, walk to a further subway stop, or do a fitness DVD or Comcast Fit On-Demand programming.

Very inconsistently.

Being patient with myself. Learning to love myself. Trying to get/stay motivated to exercise.

Quitting smoking 2 months into this (October 8, 2008). Also, achieving 100% on-plan.

I finally realized some critical things: this really is a life plan, not a diet; food is not a reward because when I would “reward” myself with food, afterwards it felt like “punishment” because I was off-plan. This is my third time on Atkins and I know I will be fully and permanently successful because my head’s in a different place now. Really all you have to do is just believe in yourself and love yourself (I’m trying to). I want to hit my goal as fast as possible. Cheating would make it take longer. Therefore, I don't cheat.

Last edited by DCHound; 02-05-2009 at 02:05 PM.
DCHound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 02:39 PM   #5  
Cute and fun to be with

S/C/G: 250/ticker/125

Height: 5' 5.5"

Dec. 1, 2008

17 lbs

I count calories

I eat between 1400 and 1750 calories a day. I try to limit my dinning out, and bring lunch to work as often as possible. I also try to cook healthy meals at home. (Easier now that I live where they don't deliver take-out)

No. Treats count towards the calories. But I do make room for them as I love my chocolate. Esp. chocolate dipped fruit.

6. Do you drink alcohol?
Not often.

Yes. Often and regularly.

I walk a lot and jog occasionally. I use exercise DVDs and hand weights. I attend middle eastern dance class once a week.

My goal is 5 to 6 days of exercise a week.

Sticking with it for the long run. I have tried to do this before, and I always falter eventually.

smaller jeans....

.... I am still trying to find wisdom myself......
knobhdy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 03:00 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 290/ticker/145

August 12, 2008

63lbs

Calorie counting, around 1500 a day.

Cutting back, picking lower-cal items so I could have more

Hmm...this is a tricky question. I don't really have cheat days, but sometimes I'll up the number of cals I eat in an effort to boost my metabolism. I don't really feel like I need cheat days, because I work in the treats I want into my everyday. I also eat slightly more on special holidays, but not much more.

6. Do you drink alcohol?
Occasionally. A couple of times a month, I'll have a few MGD 64s, as long as they fit into my calorie count for the day.

I just started this week, actually. I've been going to the OSU RPAC- a mondo-gym filled with lots of fit people.

Bouncing around different machines, 15-30 minutes on each one. For example, treadmill, elliptical, recumbent bike (with hand pedals). I've been trying to work out for atleast 45 mins a day lately, to help me break this plateau.

Hmm..I haven't been exercising long enough to make a definite answer, but this week its been almost every day.

The big plateau, pretty much all of Jan. But besides that...probably my inability to really celebrate what I've accomplished, because I spend so much energy thinking about what I have left to do. I don't think I can be happy above 200 pounds, which is a serious problem.

Size 18...

You need so much more than you can imagine...don't neglect yourself.
kelly315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 03:16 PM   #7  
One pound at a time...

Great Thread!!

June 6, 2008

98 lbs

A doctor supervised diet

See #3

I don't have cheat days-that just does not work for me. I tend to fall off the wagon really hard when I allow cheat days. When I am on maintenance, then I can start playing a bit with food and calories

6. Do you drink alcohol?
Not while I am on the diet, but even when I am not, I am a very occasional drinker

Yes, at the local marital arts studio

I do a type of kick boxing, yoga and walking with my dog.

Usually 6 days week, sometimes 7

Dealing with the fact that this is a lifestyle change and simply can not go back to eating how I used to-that is how I go into this mess in the first place

That I am now the one to keep up with in kick boxing and being able to keep pace with the black belts

Have mental picture of where you want to be and go for it!

Last edited by ChocLabLover; 02-05-2009 at 03:17 PM.
ChocLabLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 03:25 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 190/140/135

Height: 5'7"

July 2004

70+ lbs

I made up my own plan. It's a combination of calorie counting, volumetrics and eating whole foods.

I food journal, menu plan, pack lunches and still measure portion sizes.

I have a weekly "treat" meal where I have a nice dinner in a restaurant, wine and dessert. I do not consider this cheating, I consider this part of my life. I am careful not to let a treat meal turn into a treat day or a treat weekend (or treat month! or treat year!). I return to my plan at the next eating opportunity. I try to always stick to my forever no's - no fast food, sugary soda, most fried foods, cream based sauces, packaged baked goods.

6. Do you drink alcohol?
Yes, I have 1-2 glasses of red wine per week. Very very occasionally I'll have something like a margarita at a restaurant, but it's really rare.

I am back on the exercise bus after a long hiatus. My office has a gym in the building. To avoid crowds, I go down at 3:00 while the place is deserted. I watch Ellen with the Closed Captioning on (daytime TV! I never get to watch daytime TV!) and listen to music. Then, I can take a quick shower in the deserted locker room and be back at my desk in an hour. It's pretty awesome.

My goal is to run on the treadmill 5 days per week.

5 days a week, 40 minutes a day.

Social occasions. Dinner at a friend's house or crackers and cheese at a work event. Unplanned "surprise" food is tricky for me, still after all this time. I just remind myself I am not perfect, I can not be perfect. I did not get fat from eating cheese and crackers at work. One blip will not derail my process, I need to get right back on track.

Maintaining for 4 years.

Last edited by Glory87; 02-05-2009 at 03:29 PM.
Glory87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 03:56 PM   #9  
Made in England!

S/C/G: 260/260/169

Height: 5' 4"

31 October 2008

30 pounds.

I started with Atkins Induction, which I followed strictly for two weeks. Then I moved to my own thing.

I eat (in terms of percentages) high fat, moderate protein, very low carb.
  • I choose only non-refined monounsaturated and saturated fats. I stay right away from refined fats and oils, polyunsaturated, and trans fats.
  • The few carbs I eat come from non-starchy veggies, dairy (mainly home-made kefir and cheeses), and nuts and seeds.
  • No packaged or processed foods except for a very occasional SF jelly and DaVinci SF syrups.

No, although I do occasionally eat out. Despite my choosing carefully, I can never be sure quite what ingredients are used in the dishes, so I eat what I want, and then get back on my WOE from the next meal.

6. Do you drink alcohol?
Once a fortnight(ish) I'll have a couple of gins or single malts, or maybe half a bottle of dry, sparkling wine if I'm feeling like some bubbles.

No structured exercise.

My only exercise is that I walk everywhere, usually with a fully-loaded backpack. (I haven't driven for about ten years, and I very rarely use public transport.) I also cycle when the snow and ice isn't so bad.

I'm out at least every other day.

Disregarding the conventional thoughts that low-fat, high-carb is the only healthy way to eat and lose weight. I previously dropped 70 pounds following that diet, only to regain it all because I felt deprived and hungry.

I have total control around food for the first time in years. Binge-free!

Like clothing, weight-reducing diets do not come in one-size-fits-all, no matter what it says on the label.
Do your own research, don't be afraid to go against conventional belief to do what's right for you.

Last edited by DishyFishy; 02-05-2009 at 04:08 PM. Reason: Typo
DishyFishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 03:56 PM   #10  

Height: 5'7"

January 1, 2008 I started LAWL & had some success, but couldn’t stick to it long term. I recommitted using Weight Watchers December 20, 2008.

I lost 35 lbs on LAWL early last year, but gained all but 13 of it back by the time I started WW. I’ve 13 on WW so far.

Total Weight Loss: 26 lbs!!

Weight Watchers

I do. My goal is to lose 2 lbs/week. If I meet that goal weight, I allow myself a day off to use that day or save it for a special occasion. It helps me by allowing flexibility for my social life so I don’t freak out whenever someone asks me out to dinner or we make plans for a vacation. I know I just have to work for those days off.

6. Do you drink alcohol?
Yes, about once a week when we go out. I’m a party girl so this is actually a BIG decrease for me. I don’t keep track of my drinks or anything, I just allow myself to relax & have a good time.

Not yet, but will be starting very soon, prob spring time. I need to lose about 20 more lbs then I can exercise w/ out back pain.

Walking my dogs (I can’t wait – I love my babies!!). Also have a treadmill in the basement & I have a couple WW exercise DVD’s that need to get some use. When I get under 300 lbs, I plan to buy a Wii Fit.

N/A

Not falling off plan when life gets super stressful. It’s hard to take the time to cook for myself when I’m super busy & exhausted.

NOT falling off plan when life got super stressful! I am so proud of myself for working through my problems w/out food.

Find a plan that really fits your lifestyle. Life doesn’t stop when you are on a diet & you need to be able to make long term changes that you can really live with & learn to love! Your plan needs to fit you physically, emotionally, socially…….it needs to be something you can do anytime, anywhere.
ChefsGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 04:47 PM   #11  
Loving life!!

S/C/G: 360/159/145

Height: 5' 8"

May 9, 2008

92 lbs

I am on Weight Watchers

I know the new plan is getting a lot of flack but this is pretty much what I've been on since I started (well was on Core for the first 3 months to help me start eating healthier).

No....I do however plan to have items I've been craving into my points for the day or as a last resort cut into those extra weekly 35

6. Do you drink alcohol?
Not really but if I do I tend to do a daiquiri with crystal light and rum! Yummy and like hardly any calories

Yes!! I have a gym room at home

Running, free weights, elliptical, pilates, yoga, Jillian Michael's 30 day Shred, and belly dancing

I try to get in at least an hour a day (sometimes more if the kids let me) 5 days a week!

Making the time for myself

Running again! I have missed running and now I'm training for a 10k at the beginning of April

I got this off the board (forgot who said it) but it keeps me motivated when I need a kick in the butt!
"If you want it, you'll find a way. If you don't, you'll find an excuse"
TJFitnessDiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 06:38 AM   #12  

S/C/G: 254/ticker/140

Spring 2008 (about March or April)

50 pounds

No, I'm practicing mindful eating. I really focus on eating healthy food, and most importantly eating for hunger not boredom/anxiety/comfort/anger. I also focus on eating slowly to allow my body to register satiety, and then to stop when I am full. We eat out a lot...between lunches and dinners probably 5-6 times per week. I periodically enter a days food into Fitday to check on calories, but am not formally calorie counting.

Eating healthy food when I am hungry. Eating breakfast (not skipping meals). Stopping when I am full. Passing up on bread in restaurants.

I have dessert when we eat at an especially nice restaurant. (I may also have a piece of bread.) I have focused on changing my eating patterns permanently, so I don't consider anything reasonable a "cheat".

6. Do you drink alcohol?

I'm not much of a drinker, I have a glass of wine with dinner about once a week.

Not regularly. Being more active is my goal for this year. That being said, I have gone on several "active" vacations...to a health spa twice, and on a walking trip to Yellowstone and the Tetons. When I up my exercise I find I lose a little faster.

Mostly walking, although I love circuit training.

Inconsistent. Great bursts followed by periods of inactivity.

Getting and staying on track after a long vacation.

Staying on track for 9 months. I've lost before, but have never stuck with it this long. (And walking into a random store and being able to try on clothes like anyone else...lots of clothes. I'm an XL/16/"fits most" Feeling good about how I look.

My doctor challenged me to lose two pounds a month. That has been key for me. I've done the extremes, they work very well until I finally fall apart...then they haven't provided the tools. I consistently lose more than two pounds a month, but this mindset has helped me to develop and maintain a workable "forever" lifestyle. I've learned I don't have to be perfect, I just have to be better.

Three 3FC quotes...whose original author sadly I can't remember.

"If hunger is not the problem, food is not the answer."
"If you trip on a stair you don't throw yourself down the whole flight."
"Losing weight is hard, maintaining is hard, being fat is hard. Choose your hard."

(I'm adding the "If you want it you'll find a way, if you don't you'll find an excuse.)
Pandora123a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 10:15 AM   #13  
Blue Blood

S/C/G: 293/274/150

Height: 5'10"

June 2008

80 pounds

I am doing Medifast. I needed to restrict my choices and still have enough variety to keep me from getting bored. This is the only plan that I was able to stick to long enough to see results and stay motivated to keep going. I'm actually looking forward to the maitenance phase where I add more variety and re-learn the proper way to eat!

I am on a very strict plan. It is very important that I eat all 6 meals every day to ensure my nutrition!

I do not do cheat days...I do plan days that I will go off plan (Thanksgiving, Christmas) That way I don't beat myself up over 'cheating" since it was planned. Failure to plan my eating was a problem in the past. This plan really has helped me address that issue.

6. Do you drink alcohol?

I'm not a big drinker. I have a few drinks on the days that I plan to go off plan. Again...it is all about planning for it.

I started walking about a month after I started the diet. Then I added 30DS. Now I have joined a gym and work out 5 days a week or more. I'm even doing Zumba! I used to hate excersise...now I look forward to it every day and feel sluggish if I don't do anything. Amazing what 80 lbs. will do.

8.What kind of exercise do you do?

A lot of walking, elliptical, Zumba. I am looking to do more circuit training

I work out 5 days a week...but I usually walk every day.

Getting back on plan after a day off. And if I do mess up...I have a problem with wanting to binge because tomorrow i'll be back on a diet and won't get to eat cheesecake!

Loosing 80 lbs! A year ago...I couldn't stick to anything long enough to loose 5 lbs.! I never would have believed that I would be 80 lbs. down by my next birthday!

Just get through right now...don't worry about the next week, day or hour. You can do this right now...so stay in the right now!

Last edited by djay; 02-06-2009 at 10:18 AM.
djay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 11:14 AM   #14  

S/C/G: 250/see ticker/170

Height: 5 4"

December 14, 2008

18lbs

Calorie Counting. I stick to about 1700 a day with exercise

Sort of. I do a calorie cycle, so my calories are averaged out through the week. That is, one day I would have 2100 cals, but two days later only have 1400...

6. Do you drink alcohol?

Not right now. Eventually I plan on drinking socially. Mostly it is something I do in the summer.

Yes, in my basement.

I Dance Dance Revolution (video game) for about 50 minutes, and then gazelle for about 10 min. I do about 15 min of crunches on an exercise ball and some weights for my arms. As each week passes, I find myself adding little stuff to the exercise routine in order for it to feel as fulfilling.

5 days a week for over an hour each time.

Not letting into night time snacking. Oh! and not eating taco bell

Sticking with new life plan for nearly 2 months, and actually working out almost daily. I really look forward to spring as i feel i might be jogging with the dog a couple days a week.

Last edited by katiecron; 02-06-2009 at 11:15 AM.
katiecron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 11:19 AM   #15  
FB

January 1st, 2008

145.4 pounds

Calorie and carb counting.

I don't eat much sugar, fast food or packaged stuff.

No.

6. Do you drink alcohol?
Nope.

Gym and outdoors.

Weightlifting, a little bit of cardio, and in nicer weather a lot of cycling.

8-14 hours weekly, including recreational exercise. Higher numbers would be when it's nicer outside, I don't spend all day at the gym!

I embraced all of the challenges and overcame them. I guess the biggest one was patience - looking down a long tunnel of a lot of weight loss. I discovered that time passes quickly, especially by staying determined and consistent. I never dreamed this would be so successful.

The most recent challenge is the attention I receive IRL as a result of losing weight. I don't like being identified as my weight loss. I'm a kick butt, awesome, stylish, cool and witty girl (humble too, lol) - I don't want to be a freak show.

Transforming my body, changing my tastes, becoming healthier and discovering my inner athlete.

Be patient, be consistent, don't make excuses - just do it!
FB is offline   Reply With Quote