Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 02-03-2009, 01:34 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 298/259/160

Height: 5'6"

Question Ideas for exercise with a really busy schedule?

I'm new and I have been reading through the threads and I was wondering, how do you find time to exercise? My starting weight was 298 and I am now 259 and I have a lot more to go and did this just by watching what I eat. I need to exercise, any ideas?

I'm a mom of three kids (2 in school, 1 is not) and am also a return college student.

Any ideas or help would be great.
fluff chik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 01:41 PM   #2  
FB

I've never found the time, I always have to make it. I know that comes across as trite - but that's the way it is. I just treat/view exercise as something that has to be done. No other option. If my day is swamped, then I go at night, vice versa.

Do you have breaks in between classes where you could fit in a walk or visit to the school gym? Is the little one not attending school stroller tolerant? Do you have access to exercise videos?

Even if you're unable to dedicate a full session to exercise, fitting it into your day in bits and pieces is also beneficial. Parking as far away from buildings as possible, always using stairs, doing a few dips at the kitchen sink while doing dishes - and so on.

A great benefit to that, I've found - is that it affects my son (who is 4) in a very positive way. He tries to emulate his mommy and will do squats which is pretty freaking cute!

Best of luck!
FB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 01:44 PM   #3  
Going on a cruise w NKOTB

Height: 5'3"

Default Movin' toward cruisin' with NKOTB!

When you're in an airplane, and they give you safety instructions, they tell you to put the mask on yourself, then help others. You're no good to other people if you don't.

I use this mindset when schlepping to Curves to work out. You don't need to go to a gym though. Get out and walk; it is great cardio, and you can take your kids with you. If you do want to go to a gym, and have some "you time," Curves is a great choice. If your hours aren't so flexible, try a 24 hour gym.

Point is .. just get moving. We are ALL busy. But making time to take care of you should ALWAYS be step one. And I think most of us forget that.
NickiChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 02:05 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 145/142/130

Height: 5

I bought a wii fit, and use the free step feature. With this, you can watch tv and step for up to 30 minutes. This way you can catch up on your favorite shows, and the time just melts away.
butterflygrlbc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 02:11 PM   #5  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

Walk with your kids?
Bike with your kids?
Walk in between classes?
Watch tv and do exercise? (resistance bands are good for this too)

If you drive to school, park further away. If you are at school between classes, you can walk but also do they have a gym? Or maybe bring along resistance bands and find a quiet spot to fit in some exercise. Basically, you'll need to carve out the time to exercise.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 04:23 PM   #6  
Weight Watchers!

S/C/G: 221/ticker/175

Height: 5'

I am trying to do the C25k thing but when I started out I did the Walk away the pounds, 1 mile is only 12 mins. I would do it in the morning and then do about 15 mins of weights at night.

I also do things with my kids, like walking, riding bikes and just playing outside.

You have to make time for yourself and I make sure that my kids understand that as well. We all take time out for our kids and they should take out time for us as well. That is part of a family.
eviemc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 04:33 PM   #7  
Used to be Archy

S/C/G: 220/171/145

Height: 5'4

Try getting your heart rate up in little chunks, like 10 minutes three or four times a day. It doesn't matter if you work out for an hour or in three 20 minute intervals throughout the day, it just matters that you do it.

Lunges, jumping squats, jumping jacks, and push ups are all exercises that you can do quickly without any equipment.

Take a jump rope. Walk as fast as you can between classes. Take your bike whenever possible. Maybe trying to get in 10 minutes of activity every couple of hours or so is less daunting than going for one hour.

Now, give me 50 jumping jacks!!!!
Eves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 05:03 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 197/135/?

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by FB View Post
A great benefit to that, I've found - is that it affects my son (who is 4) in a very positive way. He tries to emulate his mommy and will do squats which is pretty freaking cute!
Aw, that made me smile

When my 3 year old niece sees me do yoga, she'll get under me and do a down dog under mine
JulieJ08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 05:44 PM   #9  
Starting Over

S/C/G: 255/255/155

I am a totally busy Mommy - I work 20 hours a week and take my kids to activities and I'm a military spouse so my DH is gone a lot and works late hours. I just have to force it into my schedule. Waking up early or doing it after the kids go to sleep is an option. If you are already in college, there might be a gym there you can go to while you are on campus!
cakses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 10:49 PM   #10  
Claiming Victory!

S/C/G: 283/273/245 1st

Quote:
Try getting your heart rate up in little chunks, like 10 minutes three or four times a day. It doesn't matter if you work out for an hour or in three 20 minute intervals throughout the day, it just matters that you do it.
I was going to say this as well.
LuvMyMr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 12:35 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 345/282/200

Height: 5'8"

I don't think too many people are as busy as I am (if they are I feel for you! LOL) as I teacher music, am a full time musician and I have to travel all the time.

I NEVER have time to exercise.... that is... until I figured out to work out FIRST thing in the morning! Without fail! I have not missed a single day (except for 3 or 4 days of extreme traveling) I get up, get my clothes on, clean up and then workout for 1 hour immediately.

Also I plan what I call mini workouts through out the day. I will park on the far end of the parking lot and walk if I go somewhere. If it is only 2 or 3 floors I will walk up the stairs insted of taking an elevator. I will ride my bike to a friend's house if it is close by.
flatiron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 12:45 AM   #12  

S/C/G: 255/see ticker/160

I'm not sure what your childcare situation is, if you've got a full course-load and how far away the college is, but is Is it possible to leave a little earlier, and walk part or all of the way to school? Maybe park 10-15 minutes away, get a good back-pack and walk the rest of the way. Or if you're using public transit, get off a few stops early... I'm all about multi-tasking, I used to commute to work on my bike and loved when I got home I didn't have to do anything else if I didn't want to
Leeesa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 09:09 AM   #13  
Madeleine

S/C/G: sw187/cw152/gw140

Height: 5 ft 3.5 in or 163 cm

I am not good with posting websites. BUT, if you go to cbc.ca and go to quirks and quarks, and listen to the first part of the podcast of the episode for Jan 31st, you will hear an exercise physiologist talking about the benefits of brief spurts of exercise. 3 minutes of full tilt can make many of the benefits of a longer workout!
fatmad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 09:27 AM   #14  
Operator265

I like the "Body for Life" workout plan. You alternate resistance and aerobics. The aero is 20 min. and the resistance is 40 min. Then, as you improve, you increase in intensity rather than time. I was turned onto it by a guy a work who's had success with it. He also does the 12 hr, rotating shift work.
Old 02-05-2009, 09:35 AM   #15  

S/C/G: 278/264/120

Height: 5ft.3

Thanks, fatmad, excellent piece - very interesting ideas, too!
Here is the link to the show:
http://www.cbc.ca/quirks/archives/08...009-01-31.html
fractal is offline   Reply With Quote