Food Talk And Fabulous Finds Recipes, Healthy Cooking, and General Food Topics

Old 02-04-2009, 11:43 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 376/see ticker/195

Height: 6'2"

Default Need low sodium low fat "fast" options

Hi all,

I am doing ok with my diet, but I know I am an eater. I like to snack throughout the day, and I find most often processed foods seem to fill the bill. Often they are low in fat, but SO high in sodium. I am sure veggies and fruit would fill the bill , but I don't always have them on hand. OK, I may have answered my own question. Each veggies and fruit. Anything else that you all like to snack on?

That's all from me.

Real
Realist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 11:54 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 290/ticker/145

Height: 5'4"

I like to add frozen dinners or canned soup into my diet when I need fast food... Usually, just drinking a tall glass of water will help fix the sodium problem (provided you don't eat all high sodium food for all your meals).

Sandwiches are often a quick fix, and they can be both yummy and healthy.
kelly315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 03:28 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 225/207/140

Height: 5'5

Kashi TLC bars. They just came out with new flavors like raspberry dark chocolate that have chocolate on top. They taste good, are low fat, they have have fiber and protein and they're low in sodium. I think most flavors are around 120 calories. I always bring them with me to eat at work.
ohmanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 08:57 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 173.3/166.7/135

Height: 5'2"

I don't really watch my sodium, but I checked out the snacks in my bag and one of my favorites is the Clif Kid Organic Twisted Fruit Rope. I got a pretty big box of them at Sam's Club if you have a membership there. (yay for business memberships)

One serving (one of the ropes) has 70 calories, 0 grams of fat, 1 gram of fiber, and only 5 mg of sodium.

The only listed ingredients are organic apple puree, organic apple juice concentrate, organic flavor, pectin, and fruit and vegetable juice for coloring. There are also added vitamins and minerals.

If you're a volume eater, this might not work out for you, but I am satisfied with pretty small amounts of food for snacks - and I love these.

Last edited by janal14; 02-05-2009 at 08:58 AM.
janal14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 09:31 AM   #5  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

Beans, lentils, etc. Great filling low fat food. You can do things like hummus (make your own) with veggies. You can also eat low fat refried beans. You can also throw kidney beans and garbanzo beans on a salad. You can also roast garbanzo beans and eat them. I love beans

One thing to remember is low fat processed products aren't the best thing to be eating. Sometimes they will strip the fat out and add sugar instead. I'd focus more on a whole foods diet.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 10:32 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 300/ticker/ONEDERLAND!

Height: 5'9

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohmanda View Post
Kashi TLC bars. They just came out with new flavors like raspberry dark chocolate that have chocolate on top. They taste good, are low fat, they have have fiber and protein and they're low in sodium. I think most flavors are around 120 calories. I always bring them with me to eat at work.
I have one of the crunchy 7 grain bars and they are 180 calories

Sometimes I'll have bacon and just get the low sodium version of the brand I get. I always drink lots of water but sometimes it doesn't help wash the sodium out when I have too much. I find that if I do not go over 3000mgs a day I'm fine.

Last edited by heather88; 02-05-2009 at 10:32 AM.
heather88 is offline   Reply With Quote