Old 02-03-2009, 11:44 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 269/183/150

Height: 5'6

Default Working out-Have you been wondering why

you haven't been doing it all along? I just started a few weeks ago, and I'll admit the first few times were tough, but now I feel so good after wards, I can't help but plan the next time I can escape to the gym or think of what class I will do next. I thought I would lose more weight working out than I am, but I am sure the work will start paying off eventually. I will say it is extremely difficult to stick to my calorie plan since I am starving when I am done.
Sunkisses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 11:49 AM   #2  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

Quick question - how many calories are you eating? You should monitor your calories but you should also be fueling your body.

as to why I haven't been exercising all along... well I have my periods but overall it comes down to priorities and we all need to make exercise a priority to fit it into our lives.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 12:17 PM   #3  

I am trying to keep it under 1800 but we "cheat" with one meal on Sunday. My husband is trying to lose weight as well.

I did an hour of cardio and I plan on doing a water aerobics class this evening. Which is what I did yesterday, too. Most days I do 45 min to an hour of cardio (elliptical and treadmill) and some leg weights and crunches, and then free swim with my kids. I know I blew my calorie intake by at least 200 calories yesterday because I was just so darn hungry when we left, and then we ate out .

I probably just need to plan better and try to have a little more self control after a work out instead of feeling like I have more freedom just because I worked out.
Old 02-03-2009, 12:23 PM   #4  
Just Me

Ahh well I know going into the water makes me starving. I actually stopped swimming partially because I couldn't control my food on the days I swam.

It helps to eat filling foods and 1800 calories seems like a good amount and would allow you some bit of flexibility. I'd make sure you are getting in plenty of veggies and high fiber filling foods.
Old 02-03-2009, 12:38 PM   #5  

Working out IS wonderful, gets the endorphins up, can even be addictive. I see it like brushing my teeth - Just Something I Do, everyday. you go!
CousinRockingChair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 12:46 PM   #6  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

Along with the fiber, be sure to get in lots of protein. Very filling and has staying power. You might want to try planning in some of those 1800 calories for after your workout. A FF/SF yogurt, some cottage cheese and berries. An apple and a few nuts. I also like spreadinf my calories through out the day, eating VERY frequently. Every 2 - 2 1/2 hours or so. This way I dont' get a chance to get very hungry, if at all.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 12:49 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 290/See Ticker/150

Height: 5ft 4 inches

I've been trying to work out at home everyday but it is hard. I have 4 little boys, the youngest are 6 months and barely 3. The 6 month old rarely ever naps. Really though, I have three very bad (very painful) stress fractures in my right foot. I have had them for the past 10 years and now that I am so overweight the swelling and the pain can be a lot to handle at times. I can't even wear woman's shoes anymore...at least not unless they are wide and 2 sizes to big and I stuff the ends with cotton. It doesn't help that we don't have much money, so I've never been able to join a gym. Plus, I have 4 little boys, I can't just up and leave them.

However....

Now that it is tax time, and the city opened a recreation center last year, we are going to carve out the money to join. I also found a pair of woman's 4E tennis shoes I can get on my bad foot. (The bones and swelling are such that I can't wear most shoes. Plus, the nerve is pressed right up under the skin. To even touch the top of my foot hurts.) Once I loose enough weight, the pressure on my foot won't be so bad and I'll be able to exercise and just DO more in general!

Right now, I am mostly doing 20 minutes of pilates and my body does feel different. I just carry myself better when I do my pilates. Sometimes I wonder why I stopped (years ago) and sometimes when I am DEAD tired, I wonder if its even worth doing...but then I suck it up and pop in the DVD.

Last edited by irishsarah; 02-03-2009 at 12:50 PM. Reason: Because I can't spell today!
irishsarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 12:52 PM   #8  
Living and Learning

S/C/G: 304/see ticker/140

Height: 5' 3"

I never EVER thought I would like to exercise but I do. I dreadfully miss it on the days when I am not able to fit it in and I can feel a real difference in my body.....I feel myself getting stronger.
gumboot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 12:54 PM   #9  
Loving life!!

S/C/G: 360/159/145

Height: 5' 8"

I love to exercise now and if I don't do it on the days I'm supposed do I feel like poop! Lately I've been waking up at 6am to do my running & that's been working out very well since my kids haven't been giving me a break during the day lol
TJFitnessDiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 01:20 PM   #10  

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishsarah View Post
I've been trying to work out at home everyday but it is hard. I have 4 little boys, the youngest are 6 months and barely 3. The 6 month old rarely ever naps. Really though, I have three very bad (very painful) stress fractures in my right foot. I have had them for the past 10 years and now that I am so overweight the swelling and the pain can be a lot to handle at times. I can't even wear woman's shoes anymore...at least not unless they are wide and 2 sizes to big and I stuff the ends with cotton. It doesn't help that we don't have much money, so I've never been able to join a gym. Plus, I have 4 little boys, I can't just up and leave them.

However....

Now that it is tax time, and the city opened a recreation center last year, we are going to carve out the money to join. I also found a pair of woman's 4E tennis shoes I can get on my bad foot. (The bones and swelling are such that I can't wear most shoes. Plus, the nerve is pressed right up under the skin. To even touch the top of my foot hurts.) Once I loose enough weight, the pressure on my foot won't be so bad and I'll be able to exercise and just DO more in general!

Right now, I am mostly doing 20 minutes of pilates and my body does feel different. I just carry myself better when I do my pilates. Sometimes I wonder why I stopped (years ago) and sometimes when I am DEAD tired, I wonder if its even worth doing...but then I suck it up and pop in the DVD.
I was trying to PM but I guess I am not allowed to use that feature yet cuz I am a newbie. But, I wanted to ask if you have a Ymca nearby that you can join? They offer financial assistance based on your income and your bills. Kind of like a sliding scale. We aren't really low income, but we still got $30.00 a month scratched off our monthly membership fees just because our bills almost exceed our income LOL My good friend is very low income and she barely pays anything. The program is called YPathways. It takes a couple of weeks to get approved, however they give you a temporary free membership while you wait. Which is great just in case it's not for you.

The Y is great because they offer child watch up to 4 hours a day for kids 6 weeks to 10 yrs old. They do science experiments, crafts and play outside. They usually have an indoor swimming pool and other sports programs for kids of any age. They even have a yoga and pilates class you can do with your kids. I have a 7 yr old and a 1 yr old and they both have a good time while we're there.

You should definitely look into it if you have one in your area! I think a water aerobics class would be perfect because of your foot.

Aimee

Last edited by Sunkisses; 02-03-2009 at 01:32 PM. Reason: forgot to add something
Old 02-03-2009, 01:23 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 292/144/145

Height: 5'10"

I love having exercised and the results I've gotten. However, even after a long time now of going consistantly, the walk from the car to the gym door still gives me lots of time to think of reasons not to go in.

If they came up with a pill to get the same results, I'd never get off my couch again.
Robin41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 01:56 PM   #12  
Just Me

I actually crave exercise and feel better, sleep better, etc when I exercise. So if someone gave me a pill and said I wouldn't have to exercise, I think I'd ask 'why do I want to do that?'

That doesn't mean exercising is always easy for me to do.
Old 02-03-2009, 02:38 PM   #13  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

Hmm. Mixed feelings about it. I mean I for sure LOVE the benefits of the exercise, but the actual doing it part. Hmm.

I LOVE the fact that I DO exercise, after being terribly sedentary for soooo many years, it's amazing to me what I now do. I feel good about myself for doing it. I know it's no biggie and what SHOULD be done, but nevertheless from where I came from, it DOES give me a sense of accomplishment.

I am thrilled that I no longer sit on the couch and "vege" out. I'm thrilled to be an active, on the go person.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 03:16 PM   #14  
Kae
. * . * . * . * . * . * .

I always feel great afterwards... (after bathing...) I always feel refreshed and healthy.

However, getting the motivation to do it is HARD and doing it is HARD... so I am just hoping that as exercise becomes a more regular part of my day to day life it will become easier as well...
Kae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 03:35 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 263/256/160

Height: 5'3"

I just started with exercise this week, so I promised myself I only have to do it 10 min. a day I know that this wont help much but being out of shape for so long I didnt want to overdue and not get anymore in for the week. So I'm going to go slow and work my way up to more time.
evillynn33 is offline   Reply With Quote