Old 02-01-2009, 02:46 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 278/see ticker/168

Height: 5'6"

Default Feeling sick... food to feel better

I've been sick for 4 days now and am fighting the urge to eat to feel better. You know what I mean? It's not so much that the food/eating helps the symptoms at all. It's more like eating DISTRACTS me from feeling bad. So I want to eat to feel good for a few minutes rather than feeling bad. How do you combat this? Especially in a weak state of feeling sick?

I think I have the flu. I've had a nonstop headache, tiredness, and might waves of occasional nausea (but not enough to stop me form eating... and no puking either). I have been getting hit with severe dizzy spells, so bad I am not driving. I feel like passing out every so often and have to sit down. It sucks. My heart rate seems a lot slower too, and I have ZERO energy. I am trying to take care of myself with fluids and vitamins and chicken soup... BUT I don't want to gain weight from eating too much and not being able to exercise.

I feel so awful. Suggestions? (I am probably going to the dr tomorrow if it's not better and if I can get myself there... although I have no insurance so I hate to go for the flu).
Lyn2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009, 03:04 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 278/see ticker/150

Height: 5'4

Lyn, I hope you feel better real soon. It's the pits to be sick. And I'm the same way, I just want to inhale food when I'm sick. Maybe we need a little extra calories while sick....idk.
Smiling_Sara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009, 03:17 PM   #3  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

I would try adding some Jell-o to what you're eating--regular Jell-o, not sugar free. Drink Gatorade, again, regular, not sugar free. I'd also check how much you've been eating the last few days. You won't get fat eating chicken soup while sick! And you might be feeling like passing out because of low blood sugar if you haven't been taking in enough calories.

The time to worry about losing weight is not when one is sick, Lyn... I'm not saying go for the pizza and ice cream, but you do need to have some food...

Go to the doctor if you don't feel better soon...

Jay
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009, 05:52 PM   #4  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

I was sick (real sick) last week and for the first 2 days, I didn't eat which is unheard of for me. Then all I wanted to eat were saltines. So I ended up cooking some soup (nice veggie/bean soup), my husband bought me some saltines and I ate soup and saltines. When I felt a little better, I had some toast and then had toast with peanut butter. Basically I wanted to get some nutrition but overall I ate things that weren't my normal day to day foods.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 04:19 AM   #5  
Loser :-)

S/C/G: 273/251/175

Height: 5ft8

Of course, I don't know for sure but it seems to me that your body would be burning extra calories when you are sick, no? I wouldn't worry too too much about over doing it. You have enough to worry about just being sick! I had influenza last March that included pneumonia. I've never been so sick! I was in bed for 2 weeks. Your symptoms sound just like mine with the flu part. Good plan to see the Dr. if you aren't better. Influenza, the "real flu" can be deadly in some cases.

Other than that, I agree with JayEll in adding the Jello and Gatorade. Sounds very sensible.
Michelle98272 is offline   Reply With Quote