View Single Post
Old 01-31-2009, 03:28 PM   #36
katiecron

S/C/G: 250/see ticker/170

Height: 5 4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by ollie27 View Post
awesome. i feel like tattoos/piercings should have no influence at all on career, service, job skills, etc. because...umm...they don't and stuff. good for you, paula. as for me, i am a TA for college writing courses, so i'll get back to you after i interview for real jobs, but, yeah, i'm with you.
very interesting about professional careers and tatts/piercings. I have an MA in counselor education with emphasis in community counseling. until recently i found the progressive look beneficial in working with at risk teens. lately as my community contacts and networking grow, as i prepare to interview for therapist positions, and as i might be in line for a big promotion, i feel that my attitude towards showing others that an intelligent, successful, caring, and responsible individual need not fit the norm is a fight i might not win...not in this community
i was delighted when i replaced my tiny nose stud with a silver hoop and began wearing a silver monroe stud (a piercing above the lip, like Marilyn Monroe's mole) to work, without condemnation. as my position, and age rise, i feel people roll their eyes at my style. it seems especially silly to wear a pants suite to a community meeting with one of my tatts sticking out of the top of my shirt, 2 facial piercings, and 00 gauge tunnels in my ears.

Last edited by katiecron : 01-31-2009 at 03:34 PM.
katiecron is offline   Reply With Quote