Old 01-30-2009, 01:21 PM   #1  

Height: 5'7"

Default New scale = back to starting wt

So after growing tired of my dial scale, I decided to go out and buy a digital one. I just weighed myself and saw my starting wt on the display. I know it's only 6.5 lbs, but it's still disturbing to see January's wt loss wiped away like that. Looks like I have to wait a bit longer to reach Twoderville.

On the plus side, my new scale measures %BF too, so now I have another way of tracking progress.
hautbois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 01:31 PM   #2  
FB

Did you compare the two scales for accuracy? Honestly, I'd just add 6.5 pounds to my starting weight - the scale did not wipe out your hard effort or loss - whether or not the scales agree, you have still lost weight. Give yourself the credit you deserve! Scales are stupid like that.

For instance, the doctor's scale always weighs me 5-6 pounds heavier than at home. Does that mean anything? Nope, I've still lost 142 pounds, my starting weight would have been higher there.
FB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 01:42 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 273/260.1/163

I would also just add 6.5 pounds to my starting weight, because you did lose those pounds! And yes, it really is disturbing!! When I got a new scale there was a 20 (!!!!!!) pound difference. I nearly had a heart attack, it was totally depressing!

-Aimee
SwimGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 01:42 PM   #4  
Long Time Member

Height: 5'6

Hey, she's right - you've still lost the weight!! Increase your start weight!
Sandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 01:44 PM   #5  
Workin' It

I agree, add the 6.5 pounds to your starting weight. Getting a new scale didn't make you gain it all back, just reset your tracking a little!
Shannon in ATL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 01:45 PM   #6  
Kae
. * . * . * . * . * . * .

I have had that happen before... I just added the weight I had lost onto my starting weight. You still lost the pounds so give yourself credit for them!
Kae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 01:46 PM   #7  

You're right. I am just going to add the difference to my starting wt and proceed from there. I did compare the two scales, but it's hard to get a consistant reading on my dial scale (one reason for replacing it).
hautbois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 01:47 PM   #8  
One day at a time!

S/C/G: 301/see ticker/160

Height: 5' 2"

I am with the others - add the weight to your starting weight. I need to buy a new scale and that is what I am planning on doing.
time2lose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 02:30 PM   #9  
Shairing her ESH...

S/C/G: 350/321/TBD

Height: 5'6"

<nodding in agreement with everyone!>
Jen415 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 05:31 PM   #10  
Diane

S/C/G: 294/258.0/180

Gosh, everyone is smarter than I am. Ha! I read your post and thought, darn, that doesn't seem fair. Then, I read the responses. How smart! I totally agree that you should increase your starting weight!
Slashnl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 06:13 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 278/see ticker/168

This is why I am a believer in measurements! Seriously, anyone who hasn't taken any, take them today! You don't have to be a pro or be perfect. Just get a measuring tape and measure:

widest part of hips
waist
bust
neck
upper arm (about the middle)
thigh (about the middle)
wrist

And write it all down. Then in 3 months if the scale hasn't budged you can measure and SEE your progress.

And if you don't have a measuring tape, just get a string (a ribbon, anything) and put it around your biggest spot (belly or hips, whichever is biggest). Then cut the ends so it JUST fits around you. Tie a knot in each end. This is your measure. You won't believe how good it feels to wrap that string around yourself and see an extra few inches several months from now!
Lyn2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 06:24 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 262/See Ticker/135

I agree with everyone else....add it on to your starting weight.

FB - Same thing happened to me today... I went to the doctor's office and their scale has me weighing 3 pounds heavier than my scale at home. That irritated me at first.... until I decided to ignore their numbers.... I like mine better.... LOL
Randi is offline   Reply With Quote