General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 01-29-2009, 05:44 PM   #1  

Height: 5'6"

Default Guess what vegetable toddlers eat the most of?

What would your first guess be? I would guess peas or carrots. But I was wrong and shocked by the answer!
blueberry3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 06:01 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 307.2/249.4/150.0

Height: 5 feet 4

ETA 01.30 (clarification): Somebody in the video says 'potatoes aren't a vegetable, they're a starch'. Confiscate my woman card if you must but I don't ever remember my mom drawing a distinction between "vegetable" and "starch", I can't remember getting that distinction drummed into my little skull in home ec (1970s), and I don't think that way. I can accept calling pasta a starch, or maybe rice since it's a grain, but rice is still the seeds of a plant. If it comes from a plant, it's a veg

Last edited by ANOther; 01-30-2009 at 04:09 PM.
ANOther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 06:03 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 160/160/115

Height: 5'2"

Wow! Normally I don't watch videos at work but I happened to have my headphones on anyway. I would have guessed carrots, too. How sad!
mayness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 06:06 PM   #4  
Soul Cyster

S/C/G: 235/seeticker/135

Height: 5'3"

I knew the answer- I don't want to say it here but really it's like so many people say it's a vegetable and I'm like sure TECHNICALLY it is but that doesn't mean it's good for you... specially fried!
beerab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 06:08 PM   #5  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

I guess I'm surprised toddlers eat french fries in general. I'm a bit naive though.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 06:17 PM   #6  

I know, I was so surprised too! mayness, you are so right, it is sad!
On the site above the video, you can see that 8,316 people have made a pledge to do something about this and help raise a healthier generation, which I think is really cool and important!
blueberry3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 06:28 PM   #7  
busty nerd

S/C/G: 210/206/133

Height: 5'5"

the words 'tater tots' popped into my head as soon as i saw the thread title, even though i don't count potatoes as vegetables, more as their own magical food group (and i don't actually know what tater tots are, they just get mentioned in scrubs and south park a lot).
i love spuds, pity they taste best with loads of butter and salty gravy .
there was a case in northern ireland in the 80s or 90s where a girl had scurvy but it would have been far worse if she hadn't been getting at least some vitamin sea from chips (aka fries), and i can't believe i just spelled 'c' as 'sea'.
too much coffee today.
froggie83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 06:33 PM   #8  
On my way

S/C/G: 262/210/159

Height: 5'2"

froggie- I love your avatar! BTW tater tots are diced up potato bits (like hash browns) put back together in a small cylindrical shape. I have mostly only seen them in school lunches.
mescelestus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 07:48 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 197/135/?

Height: 5'7"

Potatoes and corn were always veggies when I was growing up. But now, my mom argues with my dad that they're really grains or at least equivalent.
JulieJ08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 07:57 PM   #10  
=D

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerab View Post
I knew the answer- I don't want to say it here but really it's like so many people say it's a vegetable and I'm like sure TECHNICALLY it is but that doesn't mean it's good for you... specially fried!
Haha - exactly! I mean, if you dip carrots in batter and fry them in oil....

kinda defeats the purpose.
mazza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 08:12 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 200/168/165

Height: 5'8"

LOL the greatest day for me as a mom is when going out to eat, was being able to keep my kids occupied with french fries....lol, oh and pizza crust. It was never their meal though, just something to gnaw on. My kids are the healthiest eating kids I know. My oldest daughter doesn't even really care for fries now. She is 12, and since she could talk, she would ask for veggies instead of fries the wait staff would look at me and say "really?". My younger 2 love fries like their mommy but they also eat every kind of vegetable, raw, steamed, boiled, roasted, no matter how I make them. My kids eat WAY better than I do.

Last edited by willow650; 01-29-2009 at 08:12 PM.
willow650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 08:21 PM   #12  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

I was put on my first diet at age 5 and at about 8 was a bonafide Weight Watcher's member (with my own membership card and dues taken out of my allowance, even if my allowance was raised in order to pay for the WW dues), so for as long as I can remember potatoes in our home were considered a starch (or as WW at that time refered to them a "bread exchange") rather than a vegetable. Corn, peas, beets, and squash were in a simular category (although in a slightly more "sort of a vegetable," kind of way).

Last edited by kaplods; 01-29-2009 at 08:23 PM.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 08:22 PM   #13  
needs constant reminding

S/C/G: 164/maintenance since 8/08

Height: 5'4"

i was gonna say carrot or broc. but knew THAT couldn't be it.

yeah, I could see french fries as an answer... ugh. :P

Last edited by kittycat40; 01-31-2009 at 03:59 PM.
kittycat40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 08:27 PM   #14  
needs constant reminding

S/C/G: 164/maintenance since 8/08

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaplods View Post
I was put on my first diet at age 5 and at about 8 was a bonafide Weight Watcher's member (with my own membership card and dues taken out of my allowance, even if my allowance was raised in order to pay for the WW dues), so for as long as I can remember potatoes in our home were considered a starch (or as WW at that time refered to them a "bread exchange") rather than a vegetable. Corn, peas, beets, and squash were in the same category (though I didn't have to worry about the peas or beets, because I wouldn't eat them).
kaplods, I was told my tummy was too big by the time I was 4 or 5 too. ugh.

I have forbidden my mother to talk to my children about their bodies. I started that when my first son was an infant. She was not allowed to discuss his infant weights with me either. And she is not allowed to talk about her husbands"weight problem" in front of my kids.

Jusy went to the pediatrician today. My kids are all 50-75% for weight. And 50-90% for height. And if I let her she would STILL talk to me about if they are too skinny or too fat....
kittycat40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 08:47 PM   #15  
Maintanier to the MAX

S/C/G: Maintainer

Sadly I knew it would be potatoes....

My kids aren't keen on "fries"... have them every now and then.... a rarity actually. Mine would devour carrots and cukes in a heartbeat. When there is an option at a restaurant my kids prefer the carrots or apples. Sad to think that kids as young as 4 or 5 are overweight. I mean come on, Fried foods as a main dietary means? Come on. Eating healthy (not fried) foods is pretty easy, especially when most (if not all) can be eaten in the raw state.

As a side note, we have a rule.... eat until the tummy says it isn't hungry anymore. If that means you can't clean the plate, then tummy knows best. It also goes for seconds and thirds. We don't even approach thirds, on occasion, they'll have seconds of beans or broccoli, carrots etc.... but need to eat the other things too, and the seconds aren't even a full child's portion.

Why stuff 'um full. The size of a child's tummy is the size of their fist... not a dinner plate or head of lettuce. Puts thing in perspective, especially, when the grandparents or BIL (whom has no children) insists that my children eat every morsel that is on their plate... a plate that they decided to make for them and is more then what I'd even eat.

Ok, sorry for going on and on... I'll end here.
PearFreak is offline   Reply With Quote