Old 01-28-2009, 08:27 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 315/307/140

Height: 5'8

Default Hello I am new here and I need help

My name is Anna, I have gained and lost so much weight over the last few years it's not even funny. Most of my experiance has been with Atkins, but that is just not a good plan for me. I lose a lot yes, but then I gain it all back plus some.

I have been anorexic and bulimic in my younger days, and now I am just really fat. I don't know what to do. I don't know how to get to that place again where I get control.

Anyway, If anyone has any suggestions I would love to hear them. I am at my wits end.

Thanks
salamroya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 08:36 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 262/See Ticker/135

Height: 5'6"

Welcome

You are definitely in the right place - this website is amazing and the women here are WONDERFUL!

I don't know as much as a lot of the people that are here - but I have been in a similiar situation. When I was teen, I was anorexic - it was definitely stress induced - a highly dysfunctional childhood to say the least.

I have found that with my background - the best plan for me was to count calories - it has given me the max amount of control - everything is my choice and I did not care for specific plans telling me what I could or could not put in my mouth.

I think as you read through the boards - you are going to be able to read about a lot of different plans and what people are doing and you can decide what is best for YOU. I will tell you one thing though - these women on the boards are amazing and helpful and you could not have found a better place!

Good luck and you can do it!!!
Randi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 08:48 PM   #3  
NEVER EVER going back

S/C/G: 377/240's/150

Height: 5 feet 5 inches

Welcome welcome

I've been in your position... but about 60 lbs heavier!!! So I know fat.

For me? Calorie counting gives me the insane amount of control that I need. ME. Who could NEVER stick to anything, has not cheated for 4 months and have lost 71 lbs. I lasted for three weeks on Atkins.

We can help. Stay here. You need us and we need you too
cfmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 09:07 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 290/ticker/145

Height: 5'4"

Welcome!! I've been in your position, trust me. I'm sure you've heard the saying that diets don't really work...that's about as true as it gets.

The only thing that has really worked for me, long term, is calorie counting. Why? Because I can eat just about whatever I want, I don't feel deprived, and it's easy enough that I can see myself doing it for the rest of my life.

I know, it sounds horrible, right? Doing something like writing down calories for every time you eat for the rest of your life? It only seems like that to those without experience doing it. Think of it like this...you go to the bathroom several times a day, probably close to the same number of times you eat every day. In order to go to the bathroom, you have to buy toilet paper and use it every time. Is that a burden? Excuse the crude metaphor, but it's the best one I can think of. For me, if I skip either one- using toilet paper or writing down my calories- I would end up being really gross. After a couple of weeks of experience, you'll find that counting your calories is as easy as wiping you...well, you know.

Don't feel like you have to eat perfectly, or work out constantly. There are a ton of skinny people who have trouble doing that. But if you control how many calories go into your body, you will lose weight. And the cool thing about it is that eventually you pick up more and more healthy habits.

Humans are naturally resistant to change; if a living pattern is working for us, no matter how much we desire something better, it will be hard for us to make that change. That's why it's really important to take it slow.

If you want to count your calories, start with something do-able, like cutting your calories down to around 1900 a day. If you're feeling comfortable, move down to 1800. I'd recommend moving down to around 1700 when you're about 250, then 1500 when you're close to 200.

Last edited by kelly315; 01-28-2009 at 09:09 PM.
kelly315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 09:17 PM   #5  
Is too long. I sum up.

S/C/G: 240/229.5/140?

Height: 5'6"

Hi, salamroya.

First, this is the most supportive group on the internet, so you've come to the right place.

Second, we're all very different, so what works for me might not work for you. What tends to work for me is calorie counting and logging, plus avoiding certain foods that tend to make me hungry--like rice, pasta, and sugary things.

I try not to go to extremes and try to find patterns of eating that I can stick with, long-term.

Good luck.
Eiluj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 09:20 PM   #6  
EPW

S/C/G: 177/166/150

Height: 5' 8"

Welcome Anna. You will find some great support here. I know many have luck with counting calories, but I find if I pre-plan my days meals and get them as ready as I can, I have good luck. Its when I don;t pre-plan, that I get so hungry, that I just eat anything and then feel bad about it later. Stick around here, you'll find great support and pick up some great tips!!
EPW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 09:21 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 305/Ticker/175

Height: 5'8"

Welcome. As the others said we can certainly relate. I have been fat my entire life, just at different levels. Some points really fat and some not so fat. I have been on every know diet to man and when it comes down to the ONLY thing that I have found that works for me is counting calories and EXERCISING. You have to find what works for you and your body. I feel great right now and I have only lost 17lbs. (since 12/22) and I know I can lose the other 100. I figure I have nothing better to do this year than to do something for me. I have a 1 year old son that needs his mommy to be healthy, I don't need anymore motivation than that. I want this more than anything right now and it sounds like you do to. So don't wait, come up with a plan and get to work. Good things await you!!!
Luvbean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 09:27 PM   #8  

Thank you so much for the support, counting calories has been great for me in the past, and I am really leaning towarfd that again.

This seems like a great board and I am excited to get started!

Thanks again!
Old 01-28-2009, 10:40 PM   #9  
2 wheels is plenty :D

S/C/G: 264/195/150

Another calorie counter, here. It gives me the flexibility and control I was able to make a habit of. I'm also addicted to exercise...but I started just walking the dog. We both got a lot out of it.
chick_in_the_hat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 10:48 PM   #10  
career counselor a-gogo

S/C/G: HW:~330 325/ticker/145

Height: 5'7

Add me to the calorie counting roll call - I've tried other stuff and it just didnt work out but calorie counting is something I think I can do forever. Once you get the hang of it you have a lot of your most frequent food choices memorized.

I found for myself that using The Daily Plate and a scale to weigh portions and a bathroom scale to weigh myself have been the biggest helps.

You have to find what works for you for sure so don't give up!
rodeogirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 10:53 PM   #11  

I was just reading a thread where a lady was making a charm bracelet her goal counter. I love that idea.

I like pandora and troll beads. They are kind of a different type of charm bracelet, so I will get my bracelete this weekend with one bead to commence the start, and then another at 300 lbs. and then for every 10 lbs. after I will add another bead/charm. Here is a picture of a pandora bracelete that someone else did. They are kind of pricey so it will be well worth the hard work, and will push me to keep it up so I can get another bead. I have a bracelete already which I have only added a few beads to because I don't like to spend the money. But I love them so this will be great motivation!

whoops can't post a link yet, but you can google pandora beads if you so desire.
Old 01-28-2009, 11:08 PM   #12  
unabashed

S/C/G: 344/321/220

Height: 5'5

I calorie count too, dunno what I'd do without the daily plate! I just became a gold member. Someone said on there, that it's cheaper than eating out all the time (30$ for 6 months!)

I also eat low glycemic index foods. it's not atkins, it's not south beach, but it's just very healthy carbs and lots of fiber. it works for me, keeps my cravings under control and my sugar in check.

Goodl uck!
lottie63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 12:27 AM   #13  

Welcome to 3FC Anna! Glad you found us!
lalique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 12:31 AM   #14  
yay! summertime!

S/C/G: 265/235/135

Height: 5'7"

Hello, Salamroya and welcome to the board! The more the merrier --- and the more great ideas and support we all get to enjoy.

I am also very new to this, but I have already had several AHA! moments thanks to all the good folks that post here:

1. I started writing down everything I ate for a few days and it was very, very eye-opening. I also checked the calorie count of what I was eating (you can use Goggle to do that) and that was very very VERY eye-opening. Now I write down what I am going to eat ahead of time --- I plan my food --- and it really does help.

2. There was a great post on one of these threads about "shrinking lives." It talked about how our lives become more and more restrictive as we get fatter and fatter. And not just because we are more limited by what we can PHYSICALLY do, but because we pull back from social situations and fun and new people, etc. because we are uncomfortable. It's almost like we are putting ourselves in a prison of fat --- and I sincerely doubt that anyone on this board deserves anything so sad.

3. Each day is a new day; each choice is a new chance to love yourself. The only way to fail is to quit trying.

So congratulations for taking that all-important first step and glad to have you on board!
Numina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 12:32 AM   #15  

Welcome to 3FC!
crazycurls is offline   Reply With Quote