Old 01-28-2009, 02:28 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 272/ticker/145

Height: 5'9

Default Ahh! The White Death! (Sorta OT, Sorta Not)

Or at least that's what my Dad calls snow

Here in SW Ohio, we are totally shut down because of 8 inches of snow and ice. My county is under a level 2 Snow Emergency which I think means we're only supposed to be driving if we absolutely HAVE to. I am a horrible winter weather driver, I'm terrified of spinning out, crashing, etc. So, I've been snowed-in the last two days. I was able to get out early yesterday and get to the gym, but today, there was just no way. So, I told my little brother that he was relieved of his snow shoveling duties and took it upon myself to clear the driveway! I can already tell I'm going to be sore in the morning! It took me a little over an hour just to do the driveway (and that may be just because I'm slow...but I choose to believe it was because there is a heck of a lot of snow out there).

So, my question is...is anybody else snowed-in and unable to do your regular exercise? What are you doing instead? I'd love to hear more ideas! I don't have any exercise DVDs, so that's not an option unfortunately (I should get some of those!)

I hope those of you with snow are staying warm and crossing your fingers for another snow day tomorrow! (Unlikely...but I really don't want to go to class, haha)
foxxy511 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 02:31 PM   #2  
Back on the wagon

S/C/G: 205/162/125

Height: 5'1"

hi! i'm also in SW ohio (kettering). my workout videos are still somewhere in a box in the attic waiting to be unpacked, so i pulled up two workouts from the exercise video on demand channel. if you have time warner cable, it's free - channel 1228 or something like that.
kuhljeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 02:44 PM   #3  
Hooping my Life Away

S/C/G: 298/218.1/170

Height: 5'8"

We are in a state of emergency here. We have a water shortage. My net/cable has been going out of and on. Luckly, we still have power and heat. I've only had a license for a year and I'm basically not allowed to drive in this. I missed my WW meeting.
Daimere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 02:51 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 290/ticker/145

Height: 5'4"

I'm here in Columbus Ohio and we're shut down too. The snow's not as terrible as you guys are getting down there, but in city conditions, it's bad enough.

As far as getting exercise, sorry, no great ideas. Exercise video? If you don't have one, use on on you-tube.
kelly315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 03:03 PM   #5  

I would give anything to see your snow..
Here in the deep south its once in a blue moon.
However it was 70 here yesterday.. But 38 today..
I love walking outside.. But I am a baby when it comes to cold weather and being outside to exercise.. I guess I will break out the Gazelle...
wchs2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 04:43 PM   #6  
Kae
. * . * . * . * . * . * .

I live in Minnesota so I know all about snow... I usually just do a workout video but you said you don't own any.

There are lots of printable workouts online you can do... something on youtube maybe... or maybe walking stairs if you live on more than one level.

As for shoveling, it is an awesome workout. Just remember to bundle up!
Kae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 04:57 PM   #7  
yay! summertime!

S/C/G: 265/235/135

Height: 5'7"

According to Yahoo, this storm system has left some 1 million people without power and is credited with 24 deaths. So stay home, stay warm, stay safe. (I wonder how many of our 100+ comrades are without power ?)

For house-bound exercise, there is always turning some music up loud and making it up as you go along. I do this sometimes when I am stuck on the computer too long --- just queue up an Itunes playlist and then dance around the kitchen. I string together aerobic dance moves, marching, salsa moves, whatever fits the music.

The other possible option is YouTube (or similar sites). There are exercise videos there, though they tend to be short. On my machine, I often have a video pause part-way through as YouTube loads some more --- this can have an up side if you are out of breath!

And if you know that you won't be disturbed, you can always practice your Ninja moves. Kiiiii-Yai!

Last edited by Numina; 01-29-2009 at 12:35 AM.
Numina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 06:15 PM   #8  

NO power here because of the ice! There are trees down all over Central KY. I read online that 475,000 households are without powere in KY alone. DH and I are staying at my Mom's house tonight. She has power for now. If she loses it, she still has a fireplace to keep us warm! For exercise, I may bring my video's over here tonight and work out some. I was suppose to run today but the treadmill doesn't work without electricity! LOL
crazycurls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 06:33 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 272/ticker/145

Height: 5'9

Oh my gosh crazycurls...you have it worse than I do! Stay warm and I hope your power comes back on soon!

kuhljeanie -- I do have TWC! I didn't know that channel was there! I'm gonna have to try it some time!

Thanks everyone else for the suggestions!
foxxy511 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 06:42 PM   #10  
Born Loser

S/C/G: 490/See Tracker/245

Lot of Ohio folks here. We are in Newark about 30 miles east of Columbus. I was just saying how I wish I could go out and walk. This weather sucks but at least we still have power. I hate technology sometimes. Gone are the days of being able to call off work because of snow. They just want you to work from home now. However I'm thankful I have a job and can work from home.
howie6267 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 06:59 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 290/ticker/145

howie...I love your pic!
kelly315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 07:20 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 290/See Ticker/150

Height: 5ft 4 inches

I am in Northeastern Ohio, (just 3 minutes west of Cleveland), so we too are used to snow. However, I use the snow as my excersize. I did my pilates in the morning and then shoveled snow for almost 2 hours. There is my cardio.
(Of course, I am soar and tired now, but at least DH was able to get in the driveway.)

We got over a foot of snow, ON TOP of what was already here. Our poor 3 year old couldn't even WALK in it, it was up to his waist!
irishsarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 07:50 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 273

NE Ohio here about a foot of snow....I went out and walked in it...I don't know what it is about a snow storm..it makes me wanna go out and frolic...lol......must be left over from when I was a kid..I think it used to snow more back then. Walking in the snow was a great leg work out ...I also did a small bit of shoveling ...just the bits the snow blower wouldn't get.

Z
epiphany4z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 08:16 PM   #14  
NEVER EVER going back

S/C/G: 377/240's/150

Height: 5 feet 5 inches

stay safe guys! It's nothing for us up here to get 3 feet of snow and then have it drop to -40 celcius but we are PREPARED for it. Our houses, utilities and snow removal are all designed for this kind of weather

*sending heat vibes*
cfmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 08:18 PM   #15  
Born Loser

S/C/G: 490/See Tracker/245

Thanks Kelly, that was a fun day. We were chose to have a Biggest loser party by the show. They sent us the first show that season to watch early. Our local paper came and took that picture.
howie6267 is offline   Reply With Quote