Weight Loss Surgery If you've had it, or are considering it, share your discussions here

Old 01-28-2009, 12:18 PM   #1  

S/C/G: SW308/CW159/GW170

Height: 5'7"

Default The "Stinkin" Weather and Grazing

I'm cold, house-bound, back hurts and I'm thinking about food......Peanut M&Ms! Other than that, I'm doing fine!!!! LOL!!! I'm either going to have the cleanest house or gain 100 pounds. I think I'll clean the house!!! Snow is about 10 inches to a foot deep here and I'm anxious about my family working, driving and being out and about in this weather and I want to eat. So far I've had three turkey sausages, small cup of splenda hot cocoa, not so bad huh, then......three turkey meatballs with marinara sauce and cheese, about 1/2 c. seafood salad, a cup of tea and about five crackers. Of course, I've been up since 4:00, but it is just now noon. Where is my mantra "Eat to live not live to eat?!?!?" I stared at my grandkids peanut M&Ms for a half hour before I buried them!! I was going to bake some bread for my out-in-the-weather DH mailman, but afraid he will come home and find me dead with a bowl of butter in my lap and bread crumbs on my chest!!!!
I was up and heard George Stella talk about a New York Splenda cheese cake and now have the cream cheese laying out on the counter. I wanted to get some diet raspberry jello to make some fresh cranberry salad, but don't want to walk in snow up to my butt!!

Was over on OH this morning and someone asked the question, "Have you figured out why you overeat in the first place?" She is two years out got down to 180 pounds and is back up to 215.......This is not a good day for me to contemplate that question, but Yvonne McCarthy, who is eight years out said, "I ate to fill that hole in my heart and felt awful after wards. I ate again to numb that feeling and the vicious cycle began. ALSO, having a problem with addiction DOES NOT MAKE YOU A BAD PERSON. It is a disease.......you cannot look to external things to make you happy. Your happiness comes from inside and when you learn that, you will better understand to love yourself. The perfect weight, job, man, car all wear off after a while and you'll be looking for a new toy and you'll just repeat the process. Your prince or princess is with you always, you just didn't know where to look. " The whole thread was really good, someone who had dissected her reasons for becoming obese and a lot of food for thought. Her mantra is "LET IT GO! LET IT GO! LET IT GO! I need to chill out, no GKs, don't have to work or go out.....so think I'll put my feet up, turn on the heating pad, and read my booklet about ZUMBA

So crisis averted, and no M&Ms......Whoop!!! Hope you all are doing well.
nanj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 01:13 PM   #2  

It's such a struggle, isn't it? Here in sunny Los Angeles there is a lot of stuff in the fridge YELLING my name...

Thanks for the inpriration, I shall turn a deaf ear to all those beckoning snickety snacks, for they are false friends indeed.

I have some stuff to do today that I am dreading. That's when the comfort food comes out to play.

One thing I try to remember at times like this: THERE IS NO SITUATION SO BAD THAT OVEREATING CAN'T MAKE IT WORSE. So true! It's just piling on & creating another problem.
K8-EEE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 03:06 PM   #3  
Old Cackler

i just realized that, every time i've walked into the kitchen to make tea [and i drink A LOT of tea], i've grabbed something to put in my mouth: pretzels, cookies, cheese, a single small piece of chocolate.

SOOOOO, i just put lemon instead of milk into my tea - maybe that flavor change will help!!!

and it doesn't help that i'm freelancing on a BORING project. <sigh>

at least we don't have a foot of snow!!! GEEEEZZZZZ nancy - will it ever stop?? will it ever MELT??????
jiffypop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 03:39 PM   #4  
Moderator & Happy Chick

Height: 5' 10"

Ditto's here, I'm shoveling crap in my mouth to today...wth? I think the treadmill is calling my name LOL
Leenie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 04:34 PM   #5  
KO
In Pursuit of Divatude!

Nan I had Peanut M&MS for you grrrr
If My meeting is cancelled WATP or the treadmill will supplement this ams arm bike
I need a suitable sweet to have
I'm thinking of getting the SF pudding cups for work until this !#$#% weather is over
Btw don't die of a bread overdose! We need you!
KO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 06:45 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 260/130/130

Nancy!! Someone told me about your post so I just had to drop by and say thanks so much! Sometimes I think I'm typing into air but of course that doesn't slow me down much. Your post helped me because no matter how far out we are, we have down days and reading this made a difference to me. Thank you for making MY day and please feel free to share any or all of any posts that I make that might possibly speak to you.
Blessings, Yvonne
Bariatric Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 08:46 PM   #7  

Default Yvonne, Jiffy, KO

Thank you Yvonne! I love reading posts from WLS people who are farther out and usually always find something in their posts to help me or alert me to something on this saga of maintaining. Eight years and keeping your weight down!!!!!! WOW!!!!!! There are a lot of people newbies and oldies who can benefit from someone who has been there, done that!

Jiffy: I have banned pretzel crackers, cheese crackers, and M&Ms from this house starting today! The GKs have to bring them everyday in a one serving sized bag from now on. Poor things have to endure baked chips, SF pudding and jello, air popped corn, protein bars, diet hot chocolate, apples, bananas and pepperoni cookies. Their mom sends pop tarts, surgary cereal, white bread, and Little Debby's. Chai Tea + fleece PJs + thermal sweat shirt = heaven on earth.......Shoveling snow with a bad back and frozen fingers = @(%&@#$&(*!

KO: You didn't!!!! Well, they say to eat the peanut M&Ms because they take more energy to chew and digest! LOL! Wipe you chin, my dear!!!

Assinine is..... laying on a heating pad and reading a book about Zumba and watching a show called Shimmy that teaches belly dancing. If I tried either one right now, I would probably end up in the hospital. They looked good though!!! LOL! There was a great thread on OH about people who are having back pain after WLS. Made sense to me because I have been half mad about being limited by my back problem. I've been euphoric with my WLS and actually having a life and then wham darn back! Wonder if M&Ms have any medicinal properties?!?!? I did get up and try something called the "Egyptian" for the belly dancing. My body went one way and my belly flab went the other, better not try that without spandex.
Old 01-28-2009, 11:32 PM   #8  
Excited about my new life

S/C/G: 348/256/190

Height: 5'8"

I am so glad to read your post. I am a newbie, but I feel so guilty for just wanting a little "normalcy". Then I remember that normal led to overeating and enjoying my fattening food too much. Yesterday I ate a soft taco and that wasn't terrible but it had a flour tortilla. I knew better. This morning I wanted a hash brown from McDonald's . The only reason I didn't get it was because we had ice all over the roads. Maybe its the weather. I really hoped that surgery was the cure all to the cravings. They have decreased simply because I don't want to have the dumping effect and it hurts to eat most of it. I am learning to eat vegetables and drink water during my times of weakness. I hope that last

Last edited by worthylady; 01-28-2009 at 11:33 PM.
worthylady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 09:38 AM   #9  
Old Cackler

oh good grief!!! i re-read this thread, including my post [4 times!!!!]. and it ASTONISHES ME that i have all that crap in this house! so i started asking myself WHY it's here in the first place.

my answer - and believe me, it's not an excuse!!! i think it's the unemployment thing!!! i REALLY don't handle unemployment at all well. And, my asthma DOES NOT like winter, so i'm more housebound than is really good for me.

there's hope! i have an interview tomorrow for a fill in for a maternity leave - on West 33rd street in the Big Apple! it'll be fun to go in and out again [especially knowing that this won't last forever!]. the neighborhood is GREAT [right by Macy's - and near the FABULOUS School Products [go look them up Nancy - you'll drool - i got some gorgeous italian cashmere from them a few years ago].

and another headhunter is looking into a 9-12 month assignment about 20 minutes north of here [Franklin Lakes, Leenie!]. Although i would prefer a real live permanent job, these temp assignments will keep the foreclosure wolves at bay while things in my field open up.

soooooo - am i planning to clear out the pretzels, cookies, and chocolate??? not right now!!!! <yeah, i need an attitude change here!>
jiffypop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 11:46 AM   #10  
KO
In Pursuit of Divatude!

I think it's attitude change Thursday! Last night my meeting was cancelled I doctored some LEntil I had in the freezer and still managed to graze in a bad manner.
What did I learn?
I'm eating b/c I'm in pain (yaaay Winter!) and I'm anxious about my job deadline) Food Addiction rears its ugly head!! However I did realize I was behaving in an addictive manner b/c Hello Plain Saltines have no deliciousness other than Oh I have a carb in my mouth!

So 1 I've realized I'm eating b/c I'm feeling all around Freakshow. While the eating isn't a good solution the realizing is a start
I watched My sis Anxiety eat over the weekend long but didn't realize we had the same coping strategies
Genetics and beign raised the same! go fig!
So I'm going to go back to journaling my food here along with whatever emotional Bull is sliding my way
and something to be grateful for b/c perspective is a good thing.
So What to do?
KO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 11:11 PM   #11  

You know I think we all have different reasons for eating. My comes from boredom and loneliness. So I just realized that after having surgery I have lost one of my best friends...food. So I am working on getting a life Work, church, a little dancing apparently just won't do. I am trying to find things to replace my love for food.
Old 01-30-2009, 08:26 AM   #12  

Default Hey Miss Worthylady!

My dear, "I'm trying to find things to replace my love of food." WOW! I'm still trying to do this at 15 months out. I went through a really bad period of spending too much after surgery on food, clothes, shoes, etc. I've since come to my senses and smarter but poorer for it. I'm trying to replace MYSELF for food. Now, I know that doesn't make a lot of sense, but......your name kind of says it all, Worthylady. I truly don't like myself sometimes, because I'm greedy, self-serving, egotistical, restless, on and on. When I get in that frame of thought, I turn to food. Because of past experiences, I sometimes don't feel deserving of a good life; so I turn to food. I've had a restless spirit in my life, always trying to find something to satisfy; I turned to food. It has taken me a long time to realize that I have a great God, great family, enough material things, and that is just about all I need. I can be satisfied with those thoughts and don't really need the food. You are a worthylady and I'm a worthylady. Build on that thought, WORTHYLADY. It is hard to kick old habits, but I can kick now, where as I couldn't before, and I'm ALIVE.
Old 01-31-2009, 11:43 AM   #13  

Nanj thanks for your supportive words and always being so open to share your experiences. I am trying to rediscover myself. I feel stuck sometimes and I trying to overcome that. I used to go out and buy everything and I finally got that under control. Now I think that food and relationships are the last thing on my working list. You are right, God gives us so much and he gave us these great temples (body) to live in. We have to care about them so that we can stay here a little longer to enjoy his geatness.
Old 01-31-2009, 10:02 PM   #14  
I got my DS done 4-26-10

S/C/G: 463.1/273/170

Height: 5' 5 1/2

Quote:
Originally Posted by worthylady View Post
You know I think we all have different reasons for eating. My comes from boredom and loneliness. So I just realized that after having surgery I have lost one of my best friends...food. So I am working on getting a life Work, church, a little dancing apparently just won't do. I am trying to find things to replace my love for food.

Have you thought of taking up a craft or hobbie? I draw and read and sometimes I will go to a coffee shop (yes I know that is a weird place to avoid food) but I will take my stuff and JUST enough to get my cup of coffee or tea and tip and read or draw and just not have anything else, sometimes it is actually easier for me to not eat when I am not home.
Also have healthy snacks ONLY in the house, I am not sure what you can eat but I will get pumpkin seeds and messure out half an oz or dried unsweetened mango which has a little protien an nibble very slowly on one slice with hot tea, flavored herb tea doesn't need sugar really and is soothing.
You have to be your best friend, food has to come way down the list and trust me I know it is hard but you CAN and WILL be able to do it.
SpookyXXL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 09:15 PM   #15  

Spooky thanks for that information. I am searching for new hobbies. I like your new picture. It really adds to your personality.