Dieting with Obstacles Those with special health concerns such as diabetes, fibromyalgia, pregnancy, etc can post here for extra support and help.

Old 01-28-2009, 08:11 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 147/142/125

Height: 5'3

Default Losing Weight after a hysterectomy

Has anyone had a hard time losing weight after having a hysterctomy? I had one almost a year ago and now my weight doesnt want to budge. I can lose a pound or two but it comes back and just sticks. I was wondering if anyone elese has had this problem and what they are doing different to lose the weight?
butterflywings34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 08:29 AM   #2  
Former Quitter

S/C/G: 310/310/180

Height: 5'7

Hi Butterflywings,

I had my hysterectomy in '05. May I ask, did you have your ovaries removed? Are you on HRT? Changes in our hormone balance can make losing weight a bit more challenging and some forms of HRT can compound this. Sometimes, we need to give our bodies time to adjust after the surgery. This can take a year or so for all swelling to leave and for the hormones to even out. I've removed almost all processed foods from my diet and have replaced them with whole foods. I eat only whole grains, lean meats, healthy fats, lots of veggies and I limit my fruits to 1 or 2 a day. And, exercise is a must. Walking is one of the best exercises available. I also recommend starting some kind of strength training. We tend to start losing a lot of muscle mass as we age. Walking and strength training can help keep your bones healthy.

Weight loss might be a bit slower than it was before the surgery, but don't give up on yourself. Weight loss is possible if you stay committed.

Last edited by GirlyGirlSebas; 01-28-2009 at 08:31 AM.
GirlyGirlSebas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 08:46 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 147/142/125

Height: 5'3

I didnt have my ovaries removed and am not on any medication. I've been exercising 45 min a day 5 days a week. I need to start strength training too. I've been trying to do WW, but I find it really hard not being hungry while on this. I've been trying to eat lots of high fiber food and fruits and veggies. I know I do not get enough protien in my diet and its a real struggle for me to drink all that water. I just need to get my butt in gear and do it!

Thanks for the info, it is so nice to be able to talk to people and get different ideas.
butterflywings34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 09:37 AM   #4  
Former Quitter

S/C/G: 310/310/180

Height: 5'7

Quote:
Originally Posted by butterflywings34 View Post
I've been trying to do WW, but I find it really hard not being hungry while on this.
Are you eating a lot of processed foods? Are you eating enough healthy fats? I would try eating more protein, healthy fats like avocados, nuts, EVOO, etc and avoid the processed foods. Processed food are often empty calories that leave you unsatisfied. These foods may use more of your points, but I think you will feel better overall.
GirlyGirlSebas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 03:57 PM   #5  

Height: 5'7"

I had my hysterectomy a year ago and kept my ovaries; I have been able to maintain/lose weight since that time.

Protein really helps you stay full as does the healthy oils. I need to get some sort of protein with each of my meals in order to stay satisfied. If I have oatmeal for breakfast I make sure I have a slice of toast with peanut butter, it really makes a difference in keeping hunger at bay.

Now that they've changed the rules on the water, any sort of liquid works to count towards your daily total, although water is best.
MelissaL is offline   Reply With Quote