Food Talk And Fabulous Finds Recipes, Healthy Cooking, and General Food Topics

Old 01-27-2009, 12:20 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 200/168/165

Height: 5'8"

Default HELP!! I need a pizza crust recipe

Something that only uses, whole wheat, whole ground corn and/or oat flour. This are things I already have in my pantry. I dont want to use white flour, white wheat flour or yeast.

Is this asking too much?...lol
willow650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 12:27 PM   #2  
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

Height: 5' 8"

I recently made the recipe below with the following modifications, and it turned out well:

Replaced all of the flour with 100% whole wheat (instead of using the combo of white and wheat, as stated).

Allowed to rise for 1.5 hours, punched down, allowed to rise again, punched down, and THEN shaped. I find WW dough a lot harder to work with, and this helped.

Sprinkled my baking vessel with corn meal before baking. A light sprinkle really helps this crust get a crispy texture.

http://www.eatingwell.com/recipes/ww_pizza_dough.html
mandalinn82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 12:29 PM   #3  

I have a recipe for one that is without flour. I am a new lapband patient, and am trying to cut out carbs and flour.

Cheese Crust Pizza

4 ounces cream cheese, softened
2 eggs
1/4 cup parmesan cheese, 1 ounce (I used the kind in a can)
1/4 teaspoon oregano or Italian seasoning
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
8 ounces Italian cheese blend or mozzarella cheese, shredded

In a medium bowl, whisk cream cheese until smooth and creamy. Whisk in eggs until mixture is well-blended and smooth. Add the parmesan and seasonings, then stir in the 8 ounces of mozzarella until completely moistened. Spread cheese mixture evenly in a well-greased 9x13" glass baking dish or lightly greased and lined with parchment paper (see note below). Bake at 375º 20-25 minutes or until evenly browned, but not too dark. Let cool completely on a wire rack. When nearly cooled, take a metal spatula and carefully pry up the edges to loosen from pan. Ease the spatula under the whole crust to loosen. Keep crust in the pan. This makes it easier to remove the finished pizza later. Refrigerate, uncovered, until shortly before serving time.

Don't make this in a metal baking pan as it will stick making the pizza very difficult to remove and the pan very hard to clean.

crispy crust. uncovered in the refrigerator for several hours.
NOTE: If you lightly grease the pan and line it with parchment paper, you'll have no trouble removing the pizza from the pan later. Greasing the pan makes the parchment stick to it so you can easily spread the crust batter.

Diane
dianek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 12:35 PM   #4  

I've made this one with whole wheat flour instead of white.. works great. best part is that you get veggies IN the crust as well as on top of the pizza. I usually leave the cheese out of the crust and just add soy cheese on top.

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Summer-...st/Detail.aspx
LindaT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 12:44 PM   #5  

I never make it from scratch but just FYI whole grain flour tortillas make surprisingly good (& easy!) pizza!! I made some pizza for a friend on a gluten-free diet with some brown rice tortillas from Trader Joes and it turned out really good....thin but good!
K8-EEE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 12:45 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 331 highest 308/see ticker/185

Sorry I dont have one without yeast, but this is a fantastic recipe, we make it 2-3 time a month!

2 1/2 cups flour----I use 1 cup WW and 1 1/2 cup white OR oat flour, OR rice flour! what ever mix you have just have an equivilent of 2.5 cups, and then some more for kneading
1 pkg yeast
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 tsp sugar
1 cup water
1/2-1 TBL olive oil
cornmeal

I add 1 TBL garlic powder and 2 tsp italian seasoning when I knead it too

add sugar to warm water and sprinkle yeast on top, set for 10 minutes till foamy on top
mix flours, salt and oil in a large bowl, mix in yeast water when it is ready. Once it is all together turn out on counter that is floured, knead 6-8 minutes. Put back in bowl and let rest 20-30 minutes (enough time to get toppings ready)
This makes 2 12 inch thin crusts, or 5-6 individuals. I prebake my crusts for a nice crispy touch. roll out to what ever size. put on pan that is sprinkled with cornmeal. brush olive oil lightly, I also add garlic to my olive oil for extra flavor. Prebake till just starting to brown. Then you are ready for toppings

Fatastic combo is spinach, peppers, onions, feta cheese, motz cheese and kalamata olives--------wow it is fantastic! and it does not take much cheese--but it is high in sodium with these toppings
Redflame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 12:48 PM   #7  
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

Height: 5' 8"

Oh, I missed the "no yeast" part. You'll have to go with one of the non-traditional veggie-or-cheese based crusts, then...anything with flour is going to require yeast to get the appropriate texture and rise.
mandalinn82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 01:00 PM   #8  

S/C/G: SW308/CW159/GW170

Height: 5'7"

Default Thin-Crust Whole Wheat Pizza Crust

This comes out of a Diabetic Cooking booklet. It is thin and cracker-likey. I use this if I'm not using a low-carb tortilla for my pizza crust. Sorry need yeast in this one.
3/4 to 1 c. all-purpose flour, divided
1/2 c. whole-wheat flour
1 tsp quick-rise active dry yeast
1 1/2 tsp dried basil leaves, crushed and divided
1/4 tsp salt
1 Tbsp olive oil
1 large garlic clove, minced
1/2 c. very warm water

Combine 1/2 c. AP flour, whole wheat flour yeast,1 tsp basil and salt. Blend oil with garlic in small cup; stir into flour mixture with water. Stir in 1/4 c. all-purpose flour until soft, slightly sticky dough forms, adding remaining 1/4 c. AP flour to prevent sticking, if necessary. Knead dough on lightly floured surface about 5 minutes or until smooth and elastic. Shape dough into a ball. Cover with inverted bowl or clean towel and let rest for 10 minutes. Place oven rack in lowest position; preheat oven to 400 degree. Spray 12 inche pizza pan or baking sheet with nonstick cooking spray; sprinkle with cornmeal and set aside. Roll dough into a large circle on lightly floured surface. Transfer to prepared pan, stretching dough out to edge of pan. Add toppings and bake for 20 to 25 minutes.NOTE: Too much rolling makes crust heavy and dense; stretching dough to fit pan is best.

We put roasted veggies on it and I've used it for a breakfast pizza. Mostly if it is just for me the tortilla thing works well or a split whole-grain pita. My family likes the pita better than the tortilla.

Crustless Pizza

1# ground meat
1TLB fresh basil (or 1 tsp dried)
1TLB fresh oregano (or 1 tsp dried)
1 clove garlic minced
1/2 pizza sauce
1 pkg. pepperoni
add -on toppings of your choice
2 cups pizza cheese
mix meat, spices and garlic together and place in 2"deep baking dish (I used 9x13), pushing meat up the sides to form a shell. Bake 350 oven for 40 minutes or until done but not dry. Drain off any excess grease. Put sauce, pepperoni and add on toppings, then spread cheese evenly on top. Bake 400 oven another 10-12 minutes or until cheese is bubbly and melted.
GOOD LUCK!

Last edited by nanj; 01-27-2009 at 01:10 PM.
nanj is offline   Reply With Quote